Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 67,748 times

Advertisements

this is mostly a question pertaining to Maryland law but even hearing other states perspective will help.

What makes a house full of renters a boarding house? Our landlord is trying to kick us out(3 people) because she has moved out of state and says that because of being out of state and renting house by the room will automatically make it a boarding house which is illegal. but I know of so many other houses and apartments here in Maryland and in other states that I lived in where the landlord rented by the room and the landlord did not live on the property.

Good housing for starving college students is difficult to find around here and another roommate is leaving the state at the beginning of November but she wants us out of the house at the end of september for no other reason than she wants to turn the property over to a renting company and is afraid of some boarding house law. My one roommate would be in limbo for a month and my other roommate and I would be stuck making desperate housing choices.

I don't want to try and talk her into letting us stay indefinably, I just want her to allow us 2 months to move as opposed to 1 month to move and I want to get my facts strait with the boarding house stuff and maybe some other legal and rights issues so that I can ask her this favor. I want to know my options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,027 times
You're sort'a out of luck if there is no lease. Your landlord really doesn't need any excuse to vacate her property. As for changing the defination of the house, a boarding house is a "rooming house", any building (other than a hotel or motel) where services and pay are prearranged for a definate period of time and meals are provided, and there are usually between 3 - 5 rooms (normally). A bed and breakfast is owner-occupied. If the property is "zoned" correctly, there would be no problem. If it is an "apartment", there may be a problem with fire code, sanitary, or off-street parking for multi-unit classification. Or, the house may not be on zoned for such and your landlord needs to "cease and desist". There's really no way a renter can check these things prior to moving in without intensive research. You may check your local courthouse for local laws, as they vary from place to place. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:56 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Maybe its Not her rules or the law. Could be the Property Mgr shes hired will not except the present araingement.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,390,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni4 View Post
this is mostly a question pertaining to Maryland law but even hearing other states perspective will help.

What makes a house full of renters a boarding house? Our landlord is trying to kick us out(3 people) because she has moved out of state and says that because of being out of state and renting house by the room will automatically make it a boarding house which is illegal. but I know of so many other houses and apartments here in Maryland and in other states that I lived in where the landlord rented by the room and the landlord did not live on the property.

Good housing for starving college students is difficult to find around here and another roommate is leaving the state at the beginning of November but she wants us out of the house at the end of september for no other reason than she wants to turn the property over to a renting company and is afraid of some boarding house law. My one roommate would be in limbo for a month and my other roommate and I would be stuck making desperate housing choices.

I don't want to try and talk her into letting us stay indefinably, I just want her to allow us 2 months to move as opposed to 1 month to move and I want to get my facts strait with the boarding house stuff and maybe some other legal and rights issues so that I can ask her this favor. I want to know my options.

If you don't have a written lease, your lease is legally month-to-month in Baltimore and your landlady has to give you 60 days notice to move out. If you are outside of Baltimore, she has the right to give you a month to leave. She does not have to give you a reason.

Having said that she may be fibbing about the boarding house stuff. The house can be legally rented to up to 4 people in Baltimore city. BUT she may not want to do that. In order to do that, she would have to comply with a host of laws including lead paint regulations and state and local property inspections and registrations that could cost her hundreds of dollars and lots of lost time. As a landlady, I understand that she may not want to or cannot afford to deal with that if she is out of state. She has given you adequate notice and you should leave.

While you can ask her to let you stay, if she refuses, she is not being mean. Baltimore city laws say that she should have a license and yearly inspections in order to legally rent her house to you. If her house is very old, the state of Maryland may require her to repaint the whole house, have costly inspections and register her home yearly to prove it's habitable. If you ask her for another month, you could be causing her to break the law.

I recommend that you guys find some friends or relatives to stay with and find another place. I wish I could say that you could force her to make you stay, but in the eyes of the law she could get into trouble for giving you a break.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 20,690 times
i live in a rooming house in california. my landlord needs to evict an unruly tenant. can he move him out same day or is there a 30 day eviction law pertaining to rooming houses in california

Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 20,031 times
I Live in Santa ana California me and my wife and children who are now all over 18 we have been leasing a house for the last 12 years , we have never had any problems with paying rent maybe 5 days late once ortwice if we are 3 days late we get charged 100 dollars any way she came over after we payed this moths rent and said we had too move in 60 days because that is when are lease is up and she has a deer friend whos house had been repod and she could not find a place two stay so she would be moving in here is this legal what can i do

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
JB4known: Of course it's legal. She owns the house and it's up to her whether or not she wants to renew your lease.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4known View Post
I Live in Santa ana California me and my wife and children who are now all over 18 we have been leasing a house for the last 12 years , we have never had any problems with paying rent maybe 5 days late once ortwice if we are 3 days late we get charged 100 dollars any way she came over after we payed this moths rent and said we had too move in 60 days because that is when are lease is up and she has a deer friend whos house had been repod and she could not find a place two stay so she would be moving in here is this legal what can i do
You really should have created a new thread rather than latching onto an old one.

I don't know what the specific landlord tenant laws are for CA but you can easily find them by Googling "California Landlord Tenant Laws". However, your LL DOES have to give you notice in writing that your lease won't be renewed upon its expiration and, yes, your LL is within her legal right to do so. The exact amount of notice she has to give you depends on CA law but it's pretty universal that it has to be in writing. Good luck but sounds as though you're going to have to move when your lease expires.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 17,928 times
Is there a way to find out if the landlady has a license to rent rooms in Baltimore City? How do you get such a license anyhow? Does the house have to be zoned as such "rooming house", etc.? These questions pertain to baltimore city in particular?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
I believe you will find that under MA law a person renting out rooms in a house which he/she occupies is not required to have a license to do so nor does the house have to be specifically zoned as a rooming house. Google MA zoning and rental laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting