Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:12 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times

Advertisements

I am moving out of my house end of this month.
Per lease agreement, I must have pest control and professional carpet shampooing done, with proof of receipt.
Property Management Company gave me a list of companies that they say they dont "promote" but recommend because they said that they have found that their renters have been happy with those services, and that using those companies that are on their list, guarantees their work, so there willl not be any disputes re: quality of work. To me, that kinda means, i better use those or might have just paid a bunch of money to companies for no reason, cuz then i wouldnt have a leg to stand on!

So what do you say about this? Am I really stuck using the names on those lists and possibly paying higher prices, just to ensure that they are happy with the work and I get my deposit back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 12:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
If you find another company that you'd like to use, call your rental company and ask.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:26 PM

that would just be a waste of time, because they said that the ones on the list are the only ones that they have found to do a good job, to their liking. they kept giving me disclaimers, that they are not "telling" me to use them, just saying that they have beenn satisfied with their services.
that being said, what i am thinking, is if i use anyone else, they could just say they are not satisfied, even if for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
If you find another company that you'd like to use, call your rental company and ask.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
I'd use them, even though the landlord's probably getting kick-backs or some other perk for the recommendation. Make sure you take pictures, use witnesses, and accompany your landlord on his final walk-through inspection. Get everything in writing. You'll receive your deposit within 45 days.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM

yeah i am kinda thinking the same way...i am sure those companies are not any more expensive than others, and why even go thru the hassle of disputes etc, if i use someone else, ya know?
surely they are getting kick-backs. but oh well, thats the way things go these days. i wash your back, you wash mine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I'd use them, even though the landlord's probably getting kick-backs or some other perk for the recommendation. Make sure you take pictures, use witnesses, and accompany your landlord on his final walk-through inspection. Get everything in writing. You'll receive your deposit within 45 days.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 PM

267 posts, read 898,091 times
I used to work in property management - 277 single family residentials, and roughly 140 condo units. We also had a "list" we recommended, similar to what you talk about. We weren't getting kick backs, but it was just that. We were strict on our rules, and over 12 years of growing our business, we knew which vendors we saw on a regular basis that did a good job. We also had recommended contractors for tenants or owners with plumbing issues, electrical issues, sprinkler problems, etc.

For carpet cleaning - we were strict in our policy. Had to be professionally done, and had to be done with hot water extraction, none of the "chemical" dry in one hour kind of places. Because of that, we handed out a list of 5 local companies. We knew they did the work we wanted, we knew they were good at it. We also knew that a lot of times our tenants didn't understand the difference between the types of carpet cleaners. They would call around, and find the cheapest place they could, and then get upset when we told them it had to be redone, because they had used a chemical cleaning company, and not the kind that was specifically stated in their lease agreement had to be used. If you know who you want to use, just call your property manager, and ask if they've ever had issues with that company, and if they are acceptable. Honestly, property managers have enough on their minds, there are very few out there who are wanting to hassle over your deposits. They'd rather get you out of the unit quickly, and cleanly, so they can re-lease it to someone new.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I'm a LL and have certain companies I use for things. Carpet cleaning, plumber, electrician, etc. I use them because they know me and my properties. They know what I expect in service. I never get a kickback. They do a good job becasue I am a regular customer. If a tenant needs carpet cleanig, i tell them to use mine. The cost is no different, but the company knows what I expect and they know it's my property. I'd use a comnpany on the list just for that reason.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:55 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I forgot to say to do a walk through with the property manager and make notes of anything he/she says is wrong. Take pictures...before the walk through and after. That is, pictures of anything that is pointed out as wrong. Make sure you have receipts for the carpet cleaning and pest control in hand. You can make copies for them. If you cover all the bases, they can't come back and say you didn't do something.
I think it's a shame people have to go through such a song and dance to get thier deposit back.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 AM

thanks yall! i appreciate all of yall who took the time to respond. will use all yalls advice. pray that i get my deposit back!
sheesh. it's just me and two 20lb clean little doggies, the 4 bedroom house, i have only used one of the bedrooms-the other three have been empty. and i dont even cook so the oven aint even dirty! and i have no kids so no crayons on the walls.
so there aint much to even clean, so if they find something they are out of their minds! i was only here for one year. have minimal wall hangings so not even much as a nail in the walls! carpet looks the same as when i moved in-clean!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:48 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I think it's a shame people have to go through such a song and dance to get thier deposit back.
You've never been a landlord, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting