Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM

52 posts, read 155,576 times

Advertisements

I don't have great credit -- I don't think it's terrible or anything, but I have a student loan and I had a problem with a bank. I do have 3 years of rental history with no problems, however.

I am 25-years-old, self-employed, and I have a dog. So I feel like demographically I'm not the ideal candidate to waltz in and find a place to rent, so I am occasionally feeling stressed that it will be tough to find somewhere.

I want to move to Oregon, and have a flight scheduled for the end of this month to visit. How do you guys suggest I go about it?

Should I be looking for places online, applying online, etc? Is it better to meet in person first, and apply later? Do landlords typically make appointments a couple weeks in advance or will I be better off waiting until a few days before my trip to contact people?

I know these are probably silly questions, perhaps with the answers varying from market to market, but for the last 3 years I have rented from someone I knew personally, so I have never gone threw this process before, and any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
check out the Oregon forum, better yet, the forum for the city you are moving to. Look for rental sites in the city you want. Maybe people there will have connections. I would think most LL would post something avaiable when it comes uip. If they have a place open for 10/1, they want it rented. it's not usual for a LL to wait weeks for a prospect. they want it rented.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLVT View Post
I don't have great credit -- I don't think it's terrible or anything, but I have a student loan and I had a problem with a bank. I do have 3 years of rental history with no problems, however.

I am 25-years-old, self-employed, and I have a dog. So I feel like demographically I'm not the ideal candidate to waltz in and find a place to rent, so I am occasionally feeling stressed that it will be tough to find somewhere.

I want to move to Oregon, and have a flight scheduled for the end of this month to visit. How do you guys suggest I go about it?

Should I be looking for places online, applying online, etc? Is it better to meet in person first, and apply later? Do landlords typically make appointments a couple weeks in advance or will I be better off waiting until a few days before my trip to contact people?

I know these are probably silly questions, perhaps with the answers varying from market to market, but for the last 3 years I have rented from someone I knew personally, so I have never gone threw this process before, and any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Hello. Please do not give up. Look on Craigslist, but most of all, and this sounds corny, but it is true, be positive and believe you will find a place. My rental credit was great and after years I lost my job and was evicted. It is on my credit and I can't get an apartment from most complexes. I put my own ad on Craigslist when I decided to move to Tampa and went thru a lot of replies until I got the perfect one. I have an apt on the side of an older house in a nice neighborhood and the couple responded to my ad. They did not charge me a deposit and they also had four cats and a dog. They were happy to rent from me and I never saw the place. I took a chance, but I believed no matter what that I would get that place. Do not give up. I am serious. There is always a way really, if you are honest. It turns out that this couple has had some rental credit things too. Good Luck

Old 09-13-2008, 06:50 PM

52 posts, read 155,576 times
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:38 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I would at least start calling apartment complexes in the area you are considering moving to, be honest and tell them your situation, and see what they say. Make a list of the ones who think it'll be okay, and then be sure to go out and meet with them when you do fly out.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:35 AM

123 posts, read 488,045 times
When I moved I looked online and had some places lined up if needed an apt. I had a plan of places to go and stayed at a hotel for a week so I could see them and fill out the paper work. Sometimes what they show as pics of the place is not what it really looks like. Often many hotels have weekly rates to help with finances. I have rented many apts and some vary in what they need but usually good credit is number 1. Also if you can show some come kind of income or savings can help. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting