Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times

Advertisements

If there is a city ordinance regarding noise, e.g., no noise between 10pm and 7am, in my opinion everybody should follow it. No pounding chicken, no moving/dragging furniture, etc. (the rule being, for me, if a neighbor is annoyed, even if it is usual noise, don't do it, be respectful.) This would avoid at least 70% of neighbors problems/complaints.

The other 15% is about people who cannot stand any kind of noise, which is impossible. I have to vacuum, wash clothes, etc. make the usual noise people do for daily chores. People who cannot stand that during acceptable hours (ordinance hours, for example) should live in a house.

The other 15% is about absolutely obnoxious neighbors who will party, play musical instruments/loud music (unacceptable anytime if you have close neighbors!!), and walk with heels, move furniture, etc. whenever they want, even way after hours, and think neighbors have to put up with it. These should be evicted.
If they are not evicted, or are the homeowners, the annoyed neighbor should move out or install something to block the noise.

Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I sleep during the day--obviously, I tune it out.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
The ordinance does not cover walking heavy or household chores.

Try calling the police on someone who is walking heavy or moving furniture or God forbid, doing laundry after 10 or before 7, and see where it gets ya. Not only will you end up getting a verbal correction, you could be fined for wasting their time on dead calls.

Loud parties, fighting, talking loudly in the halls, screaming and yelling on the patio, blaring music from the car ...those are things to call the police on.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:14 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I sleep during the day--obviously, I tune it out.

nobody cares.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

171 posts, read 444,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Now that's a positive way to look at it.

There's plenty of small and quiet towns with low cost rent in Oklahoma.
I've been through a few times. Loved the Botanical Gardens in OKC

As for the poster who just mentioned that if something bothers your neighbors, you shouldn't do it, sometimes that just doesn't work. Every once in awhile, my son might dart across a room. I can tell him repeatedly to be quiet & considerate, but I cannot guarantee he will *always* do so. Just like I can't guarantee I might not accidentally drop a cup on the floor while making coffee. (A real incident that resulted in neighbor pounding on my door. LOL. Seriously. That's insane.)

It's one thing to try to be quiet/aware when say using my kitchen, but it's another not to expect me to use my kitchen until 8am based on a neighbor's whims or preferences. The OP was upset someone was leaving for work at 6:30 am. Sorry, but that's a completely reasonable time to leave for work, and to hear some level of noise--water running, a door closing, etc. The upstairs neighbor coming in very late/wee hours, yes, should make an effort to be quiet, but you still may hear some noise in an improperly insulated building OR if you're extremely noise sensitive.

It sucks to be on either side of this sort of thing.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
If I ever had to do something at a late time that would creat noise, I would personally inform my closest neighbors first.
If you expect or know some thing is about to happen at a certain time, it's not that annoying.

That's "if" I lived in an Apt complex, which you wouldn't find me dead in. I only rent houses.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:56 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
nobody cares.
Nor does anyone care to listen to people whining about noise from their neighbors which is normal and expected.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:00 PM

171 posts, read 444,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If I ever had to do something at a late time that would creat noise, I would personally inform my closest neighbors first.
If you expect or know some thing is about to happen at a certain time, it's not that annoying.

That's "if" I lived in an Apt complex, which you wouldn't find me dead in. I only rent houses.

Me too. It has been years since I've had any kind of party, but I always told my neighbors in previous situations well in advance. And I really hope I can rent a small house or mobile home on a bit of lane. Would be ideal in terms of having some space and privacy. But I may have to rent an apartment. (Am separated and do not have a long time to look/move.)

However, I also can see how something like coming home from a late shift or leaving for work earlier than your closest neighbor is not something to apologize for. Certainly, intentionally crashing around and being a disrespectful jerk is not right, but neither is jumping down someone's throat for dropping a coffee cup. LOL! It was doubly upsetting since I own, and the person freaking out was one of a rotating series of short-term roommates in my neighbor's half of the house. (The turnover is always blamed on my family making noise in our kitchen.) I will NEVER buy a condo or duplex again. Never, ever, ever. It's like having roommates, but ten million times worse.

I hear the people next door walking up their stairs when they come in late at night. Is it loud, annoying and occasionally wakes me up? Yup. But I'm not going to get in their face about it or insist they "tiptoe" or not come home if they're out past 10pm. If they were coming in drunk, shouting, slamming around every night of the week, then I'd say something. But just as I do not feel they have any right to tell me not to reasonably use my kitchen before 8am, I don't feel it would be reasonable to ask them not to use the stairs or have friends over after 10 pm.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,599 times
I completely understand your pain! A new family just moved above us two weeks ago and we are pulling our hair out...as I type my monitor is shaking and it's 10 p.m. I wake for work at 4:30 am everyday. The stopping starts at 7am and sometimes continues till 1am! It's really getting to us. We have asked them to try to keep it down....we've called the office and they have spoken with them all with no relief. The 2ed time I knocked on the door she screamed at me in spanish and proceeded to slam the door in my face. I am at my wits end!! I'm drinking a glass of wine at this very moment. I dont drink!!!! It's easy to say deal with it, but it's not so easy to live it. I woke from a nap thinking i was in the mist of a thunderstorm....I wasn't!!!!!!!! I pray for this nightmare to end!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleekat View Post
I completely understand your pain! A new family just moved above us two weeks ago and we are pulling our hair out...as I type my monitor is shaking and it's 10 p.m. I wake for work at 4:30 am everyday. The stopping starts at 7am and sometimes continues till 1am! It's really getting to us. We have asked them to try to keep it down....we've called the office and they have spoken with them all with no relief. The 2ed time I knocked on the door she screamed at me in spanish and proceeded to slam the door in my face. I am at my wits end!! I'm drinking a glass of wine at this very moment. I dont drink!!!! It's easy to say deal with it, but it's not so easy to live it. I woke from a nap thinking i was in the mist of a thunderstorm....I wasn't!!!!!!!! I pray for this nightmare to end!!!
If I had neighbors like that, I would slip a note under their door say:

" If this noise continues, I will inform ICE, (Immigration and Customs Enforcement)

Contact Us (http://www.ice.gov/about/contact.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting