Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 07:02 AM

269 posts, read 287,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wood87 View Post
I am in the same situation.

I own my condo but the people above me rent. I am on the second floor, the folks above me moved out a couple months ago. It was 2 girls and 2 guys and they were relatively quiet, they had a dog who I could hear running around sometimes, but its nothing compared to the new renters. It is two older guys, they stomp constantly, I mean every step is a stomp, I even hear loud thuds like they are doing it on purpose or dropping things. It is infuriating, I want to confront them but I know I will end up insulting them or starting an argument. They wake me up everyday. They also sit on the balcony and talk very loudly. I don't know what to do at this point.
What does you owning your condo and the people above you renting have anything to do with them being loud walkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgrrl View Post
What does you owning your condo and the people above you renting have anything to do with them being loud walkers?

It has a lot to do with it....being an owner trumps a tenant especially when dealing with a condo assoc. Many condo associations around here are limiting the number of units that can be used as rentals because of the complaints from owners.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:31 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedYourMind View Post
You should be able to live in your apartment at all hours. This includes making music and dancing.

This is an issue that is truly about corrupt government and corrupt business.
Absolutely, and a Burning Man party should be allowed in your apartment, too. Fight for your rights! Don't let the man keep you down!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It has a lot to do with it....being an owner trumps a tenant especially when dealing with a condo assoc. Many condo associations around here are limiting the number of units that can be used as rentals because of the complaints from owners.
So if the loud walkers were owners then they could make as much noise as they want and no one would complain because they own their place?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
So if the loud walkers were owners then they could make as much noise as they want and no one would complain because they own their place?
I think the point being made is that owners tend to be more respectful of their neighbors than renters.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:12 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I think the point being made is that owners tend to be more respectful of their neighbors than renters.

I wish that were true-- in my experience--there has been little difference. I owned two houses and have rented many. The houses I owned were in "good" neighborhoods, yet, several neighbors were not respectful at all. Surprisingly, the most respectful neighbors I have had are where I am now--in a 52 unit apartment building. I think the idea of homeowners being more respectful of neighbors is a myth.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:54 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
I wish that were true-- in my experience--there has been little difference. I owned two houses and have rented many.
I was thinking more in terms of ownership/rentals of condo units than SF homes.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:02 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,940 times
Quote:
I was thinking more in terms of ownership/rentals of condo units than SF homes.

Yes I understood what you meant. One of the homes I owned for a long time was a condo/townhouse, and one that I rented for a long time was a condo/townhouse. I had better neighbors in the rental unit. The neighbors with the single family house in suburbia that I owned were a mixed bag. Some were nice and others were really awful. My neighbors now, in my apt rental in a building, in a more urban area, are nicer and more respectful than my previous neighbors by a mile. So I guess I think that the rental vs ownership thing is a myth. At least it has been in my experience--and I have lived in different areas in different states.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:55 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:

No, but tenants can be evicted, homeowners can't. Tenants not only have to follow the HOAs bylaws, they have to follow their lease. I'm sure somewhere in the bylaws it addresses noise, but who do you think is going to be pushed out of the community first....tenant or homeowner?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
This is untrue. I know plenty of owners in my building that are NOT respectful at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting