Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,574 times

Advertisements

I have a landlord trying to collect a late fee. I don't believe I owe the fee and refuse to pay.

Here's why. The landlord has always mailed out the monthly notices to the tenants. If for some reason they don't go out we go to the office and get the notice. There is no late fee, the landlord did not mail out the notice at all or in a timely manor.

I did not get the notice as I always have and go by the office to see whats up.

The property is sold and we have a new landlord. I have not been notified of the sale and that the new landlord will do things differently. Now we have to come by the office and they tell you what you owe, they will not print a notice or invoice, and refuse to give you a receipt upon payment.

I paid the amount due but I will not pay a late fee I don't feel I have too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 07:58 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,032,562 times
Does your rent change monthly? Don't you know what you owe each month and when it's due? Whgat does your lease say?

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
Does your rent change monthly? Don't you know what you owe each month and when it's due? Whgat does your lease say?
Water and Sewer are part of the rent, Lot Rent. These change monthly

Old 10-05-2008, 05:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Look at your lease. It will give you the answer.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:52 AM

353 posts, read 1,149,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Look at your lease. It will give you the answer.

Bingo.

Even if you didn't get the notice, you know it's due on a certain date each month. Sounds like your trying to blame someone else, when it's your obligation to pay rent on time....

A light should go off...hmmm, "Rent is due and I didn't get that usual notice, I'll do the responsible thing and contact the office to find out how much my water was this month so I make sure that MY rent isn't late."

The point is if you didn't pay on time, your late...pay your fee. Take some responsibility. The fact that they didn't send out the notice doesn't mean your rent is due. I bet your lease agreement doesn't say that first, they will send out that notice every month, then you pay you rent....

Last edited by R1v3rRat; 10-06-2008 at 11:01 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 12:21 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
You should be paying the RENT part in a timly manner each month. At that time ASK what the Water & Sewer is & pay with Seperate Check or Money Order [in a timly manner] My friend had trailers she rented out Evey month on the 1st people paid rent & she told them what the Water/Sewer was. She took as seperate check usually made out to the company not her. Thing is no one was surprized from month to month cause unless someone had moved it remained basicly the same.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Partime, if you're looking for general "how does this work" kind of advice, check out our Renting forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/renting/

Old 10-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Default I know the rent is due

I know the rent is due and I know it has to be paid. There has been an established system for 8 years. If the new landlord wants a different system that is ok by me. I will comply I pay my bills on time and when I am late I know there is a fee.

Changing the rules in the middle of the game just ain't right. There are over two hundred people caught in this game. That is about $5,000.00 in fees the first month for the new owner.

Something smells.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 PM

353 posts, read 1,149,213 times
Unless your lease agreement changed... the "rules" didn't change.... Office operations may have changed... but not your contract.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:34 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Moving this one to the Renting forum since there appears to be no Jacksonville forum advice needed, only general renting advice. -mod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting