Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,558,603 times

Advertisements

Wasn't really quite sure where to put this, but I am thinking about renting a room in my house. It is just me and my six year old son in this 2400 SF home with a spare bedroom. I rented a room for two months to a french intern student and it worked out really well.

Does anyone have any advice? Obviously, since I have my son I only want to rent to someone via word of mouth through someone I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 08:05 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,355,701 times
You have a 6-year old in your home. I'd never let anyone in (except maybe Desmond Tutu). The only exception would be a foreign exchange student. That could help everybody. But, there's no money in it. If you need money, I'd recommend a smaller home. The safety of your family is priority, and the odds of finding a good tenant would be astronomical and inconceivable.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,558,603 times
Really? Even if it was someone that I got via word of mouth with great references? I was never planning on advertising. I don't know why a foreign exchange student would be any safer than say an american college student?

It wasn't so much about the money, although that was certainly a bonus, but it was nice having another adult (well sort of she was 20) around.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,747,668 times
Im someone that has to rent room's to save money(im paying off medical bills).
I think you would be ok with a college student(check references,meet a few times)
Most rooms for rent in my area average about 400$ a month for everything.
You would probably want to rent to a female anyway.
Just be upfront about what you both expect....

Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,815,663 times
Make sure you have rules in writing, which renter reads and signs. Must cover such things as are guests allowed, are overnight guests allowed, hours for cominmg and going, loud music, anything you can think of. People are all different and once you have someone living in your home. they may have many strange ideas that could make your life difficult, so you better have rules. don't just assume a stranger lives the same way you do.
I rented rooms to local college students when I was single. I has some really good ones, and some really bad ones. Prepare for the worst and cover your behind...

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,036 times
Default Please reconsider...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Wasn't really quite sure where to put this, but I am thinking about renting a room in my house. It is just me and my six year old son in this 2400 SF home with a spare bedroom. I rented a room for two months to a french intern student and it worked out really well.

Does anyone have any advice? Obviously, since I have my son I only want to rent to someone via word of mouth through someone I know.
I'm sure people may have different experiences, but mine was BAD. I rented out my spare bed and bath to a friend who was returning to college. Take note: I knew this person already... but he was quite different after moving in.

Long story short, he ran up my utility bills, ate all my food, broke my garbage disposal, flooded the utility room, gave out unlisted phone number to all his friends, practiced his guitar day and night -- then stiffed me on rent after 2 months!

Often times, there are no quicker remedies when evicting a tenant from your owner-occupied house, so if things don't work out, some psycho could have a key to your front door until you get him legally evicted through the courts (which could take months).

I'm really not trying to freak you out, but PLEASE reconsider -- for the sake of your child's safety & your own sanity. It you need the extra cash, try flipping a few things on eBay or Craigslist.

Signed,
Never Again

Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,818,689 times
My motto is "I don't do Roommates." If you are ok with noise and less privacy, I guess it is fine. I just can't deal with it.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:51 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,815,663 times
One of my renters decided to move out while I was out of town for the weekend. He took all of the drawers out of the kitchen cabinets to use as packing boxes. I came home to all of my stuff on the floor, and no drawers in the cabinets.
It could have cost me plenty to have drawers reproduced, the only thing that saved me was, he left his parents brand new lawn mower in the back yard. I immediately took it to a friends house and held it for ransom. I got the drawers back, but only by some super luck...

Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,259,030 times
If I was a homeowner, I'd feel this way also........especially in this "day and age" of how a lot of people act and how "not so clean" they are about cleaning up their messes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
My motto is "I don't do Roommates." If you are ok with noise and less privacy, I guess it is fine. I just can't deal with it.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,259,030 times
Yes, people who rent rooms can do the absolutely the WIERDEST things! And, it is really hard to find someone who won't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
One of my renters decided to move out while I was out of town for the weekend. He took all of the drawers out of the kitchen cabinets to use as packing boxes. I came home to all of my stuff on the floor, and no drawers in the cabinets.
It could have cost me plenty to have drawers reproduced, the only thing that saved me was, he left his parents brand new lawn mower in the back yard. I immediately took it to a friends house and held it for ransom. I got the drawers back, but only by some super luck...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting