Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,038 times

Advertisements

So im in a sticky situation today is Thur May 5th and I am getting legal counceling by monday. On the time being I need assistance from here to there so that i dont make my situation worst.

Long story short....

So ive been renting a room with a roommate for 10 months now. In the time of these 10 months Ive paid rent late twice. One being this past month of April. My roommate (the current lease holder) upon my arrival (i was away for work , hence my late rent payment) told me that I need to move out by the 15th (When rent is paid). This is without a written notice of any sort. Ive kept my payment reciepts and have mail to prove recidency. She showed my room while i was gone.

She tells me that no written notifications are needed because im not part of the lease. Yet i haven't heard anything nor have anything in writing from the landlord. She's telling me that the landlord wants me out and that I cant do anything oncee again for not being on the lease.

Backstory

The landlord did tell her for payng late rent that she'd evict her...like previously said ive paid rent late only twice and my roommates has paid late literally every other month since our second month here.

I have no problem moving...all that Id ask for is for the proper written notice that grant me a 30 IF its even legal considering that I have no lease agreements with the actual landlord. Only Vocal agreements with the lease holder. The landlord is aware that ive been here and approved since day 1. She as a matter of fact told us that whatever happens should be resolved between us. All that she cares about is that she gets her money .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 11:50 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You pay late, your roommate pays late... I suggest that you start looking for another place to live, preferably cheaper because it appears that you can't afford that place.

What's between you and your roommate is roommate politics and has nothing to do with your landlord. You'll have to look up your state's laws about roommate agreements and see what the law is that applies to your situation. However, the landlord has said she is going to evict for late payment and she will name everyone who lives there on the eviction. You really ought to get out before you get caught up in that drama.

I suggest that you contact the landlord and discuss your leaving. You want to make sure that the landlord knows you are out so that you don't get named in the eviction.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTORRESROMERO View Post
So im in a sticky situation today is Thur May 5th and I am getting legal counceling by monday. On the time being I need assistance from here to there so that i dont make my situation worst.

Long story short....

So ive been renting a room with a roommate for 10 months now. In the time of these 10 months Ive paid rent late twice. One being this past month of April. My roommate (the current lease holder) upon my arrival (i was away for work , hence my late rent payment) told me that I need to move out by the 15th (When rent is paid). This is without a written notice of any sort. Ive kept my payment reciepts and have mail to prove recidency. She showed my room while i was gone.

She tells me that no written notifications are needed because im not part of the lease. Yet i haven't heard anything nor have anything in writing from the landlord. She's telling me that the landlord wants me out and that I cant do anything oncee again for not being on the lease.

Backstory

The landlord did tell her for payng late rent that she'd evict her...like previously said ive paid rent late only twice and my roommates has paid late literally every other month since our second month here.

I have no problem moving...all that Id ask for is for the proper written notice that grant me a 30 IF its even legal considering that I have no lease agreements with the actual landlord. Only Vocal agreements with the lease holder. The landlord is aware that ive been here and approved since day 1. She as a matter of fact told us that whatever happens should be resolved between us. All that she cares about is that she gets her money .

Written or verbal/unwritten lease if you established residency (badc ally living in the same place for 30 days and establishing a place to live/receive mail you are considered a tenant. If no written lease you are a month to month tenant. The LL has to give you a 30 day notice OR a notice that is the same amount of time as there are days between your rent payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting