Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 07:57 AM

3 posts, read 6,761 times

Advertisements

I am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice on our situation. We moved into our apartment on 5/1/08 there is 4 apartments in my building. We live on the bottom floor. The tenants above me is a police officer and his 8 year old son, on the other side of him upstairs is a single mom with 2 teenage boys. The police officer lets his son run wild in the apartment. He will run and jump off of the furniture that there has been many times that my ceiling fans and lights will shake this will go on for several hours. I have complained to the prop.man.about this since we moved in and she finally gave him a notice about the noise about 1 1/2 mo.ago. Everything calmed down for a few weeks and now it has started back up again. The lady that lives across from him has a problem with parking her SUV in the parking spots and hitting peoples vehicles with her doors, she parks so close to our vehicles there has been many times that we have had to go and tell her to move her SUV because we could not get into our car. She lets her kids run up and down the stairs being very loud with their friends. The prop.man.is very well aware of this and yet she does nothing. Needless to say we had words with her and she called the police on us, the police did nothing to anyone and the prop.man.has done nothing. Then last night my neighbor and our kids were outside sitting on the patio and all of a sudden this man that lives across from us had a pellet gun shooting it. My neighbor went upstairs to the police officer and told him what was going on but by the time he went out on his balcony to look the guy had gone inside. This is not the first time the guy has been outside shooting either.
I am to the point that I cannot put up with all of this anymore. My lease has a clause that there is a no break lease for any reason. I am just wanting some respect from other tenants and to feel safe. We signed a years lease and would love to find somehow to leagally get out of this situation. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
Hmmm...well, I am an assistant property manager and the only thing I can think of is if you continuously complain to management and then to corporate you might be able to transfer to another apartment. Also report to the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org). People say they won't do anything, but that's not true. I got my friend out of her lease by reporting to the BBB almost daily. I would continuously complain to both the manager and corporate, they will get tired of you and might just let you out of your lease without penalties. We have here at my community.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Read my posting under Am I Being Unreasonable (by LoveBoating). Not to long after we moved into our apartment, we were hearing the same kind of WWF wrestling/jumping from the kids that lived in the top apartment above us. At that time, there was no one living in the middle apartment (right above us) so the noise was coming from the top (3rd story) apartment. We went up there to talk, but the two kids would not answer the door.......they were in the apartment by themselves and apparently were told not to answer the door to anyone.
Apartment noise has become more and more a problem today. With the construction of new apartments (thin walls, ceilings) and the people who move into them.......some with absolutely no respect for other renters, apartment living has become a real hassel for a lot of people. Some folks just ignore the noise (the noisy people just love these people), while others (like us) just think it's crazy how some tenants just don't care what they do in an apartment.
It's a problem that is a REAL problem that Complex Management just really don't want to hear about and there isn't much law enforcement can do either. That is just the reality of it!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 AM

Not where I work, we address the issue. There is a difference of normal noise in an apartment and unreasonable noise. We have released people from their lease because of it. The best bet is to keep contacting the office and corporate as well as the BBB and gaurentee eventually, they will just agree to let them out of the lease. Most complexes do not want to deal with someone who is bothering them daily...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Read my posting under Am I Being Unreasonable (by LoveBoating). Not to long after we moved into our apartment, we were hearing the same kind of WWF wrestling/jumping from the kids that lived in the top apartment above us. At that time, there was no one living in the middle apartment (right above us) so the noise was coming from the top (3rd story) apartment. We went up there to talk, but the two kids would not answer the door.......they were in the apartment by themselves and apparently were told not to answer the door to anyone.
Apartment noise has become more and more a problem today. With the construction of new apartments (thin walls, ceilings) and the people who move into them.......some with absolutely no respect for other renters, apartment living has become a real hassel for a lot of people. Some folks just ignore the noise (the noisy people just love these people), while others (like us) just think it's crazy how some tenants just don't care what they do in an apartment.
It's a problem that is a REAL problem that Complex Management just really don't want to hear about and there isn't much law enforcement can do either. That is just the reality of it!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,761 times
Thanks for your replies. I went and spoke with the property man.again today and she said she would give them another letter about the noise and if that doesn't work she will talk to her boss. I did say to her that if there was a way that I could break the lease with no penalties then I would do so in a minute. She said she would try to get them to stop but there is no way that she could make them all she can do is send them letters. If after this letter is received and they continue I will be call corp.and find out if there is anything that can be done. This is really getting to be a big headache. All we want is a comfortable place to live with no problems. We understand that people cannot just sit in their apartment and not move around, were not asking for that just some respect is all. When I spoke with the tenant above me and asked him nicely to please have his son calm down he shut the door in my face. To me that is someone who thinks he can do whatever he feels like and has no consideration for others at all. Hopefully we will be able to find some kind of solution.
Deree

Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Yes, some people just WON'T listen and think that they have every right to make unreasonable noise and, for some unusal, pecular reason, they also know that management won't do much or anything! The noise makers say "we pay rent here also" and the nice, quiet, considerate people say "we pay rent here also"......SO, who is right and who WINS????
Funny thing is, management has told us to talk to neighbors about noise (which sometimes just doesn't work), BUT, why don't the Complex Management knock on the door and tell them about the noise??????? Is their job to just write a letter and have renter do the "dirty work" of knocking on the door. I don't get it!?? Really, really good question!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:24 PM

If the manager really wanted to, she could give him a 7-day notice without cure, meaning he would have to move out within 7 days. She could totally do this legally if there were excessive complaints and such, but not only that, management CAN ask a resident to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deree View Post
Thanks for your replies. I went and spoke with the property man.again today and she said she would give them another letter about the noise and if that doesn't work she will talk to her boss. I did say to her that if there was a way that I could break the lease with no penalties then I would do so in a minute. She said she would try to get them to stop but there is no way that she could make them all she can do is send them letters. If after this letter is received and they continue I will be call corp.and find out if there is anything that can be done. This is really getting to be a big headache. All we want is a comfortable place to live with no problems. We understand that people cannot just sit in their apartment and not move around, were not asking for that just some respect is all. When I spoke with the tenant above me and asked him nicely to please have his son calm down he shut the door in my face. To me that is someone who thinks he can do whatever he feels like and has no consideration for others at all. Hopefully we will be able to find some kind of solution.
Deree

Old 10-28-2008, 11:54 PM

11 posts, read 61,150 times
Be as annoying as they are.. complain everyday! Every minute.. that should tick them off and make them wanna be rid of you .. Sux I know.. same is happening to me.. but unfortunately I don't get to complain to mgmt or corp.. I live in a privately owned 2 fam.. the landlord doesn't do anything hs one scale below a slumlord.. so I have decided to just annoy him,,, If I am waken by noise at 8 am on a Sat morning.. you better believe he is getting a call.. at 8 am if I am going to be living uncomfortably,, so will he until he puts his money where his mouth is! Good luck.. hopefully things work out for you..!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times
No break clause? But isn't the landlord breaking the lease? Of course. Every tenant has a right to a peace. In my state it's even written in the General Statues under renters laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting