Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 03:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,015 times

Advertisements

I apologize about the long post, but this isnt just any ant...

We live in a large apartment building with over 25 units. About 2 months ago we began to notice these REALLY small ants ( abt. 1/16-inch ) and very light brown. Didnt think to much of it till about 2 weeks ago when I seen a bunch march out of a very small, almost pin size hole in my ceiling straight to our food cabinet. I freaked out! I woke up my husband and our first reaction was to grab the Raid and spray. The next day we googled these ants to identify them and to my horror...

Nests are often so small it can be contained in a thimble, located between sheets of paper, in clothing or laundry, furniture, foods, etc. They prefer dark, warm areas near hot water pipes and heating tapes, in bathrooms, kitchens, intensive care units, operating rooms, etc. Pharaoh ants are usually much harder to control than other ants because of their ability to disperse. There may be dozens or hundreds of colonies in a single hospital and when a few colonies are missed during control, populations will quickly rebound. About 90 percent of the colony remains hidden in the nest so even if 10 percent of the colony is killed by a residual pesticide, the remaining reservoir of ants is enormous. Conventional contact pesticide applications especially repellent products such as pyrethrins may spread infestations to new areas with multiple colonies blossoming within the structure. These ants will avoid certain pesticides. Control is difficult and often long term (months to years), depending on the building size, wall voids, etc., especially in hospitals and food plants.

Then I read...

Pharaoh ants have become a serious nuisance pest in hospitals, rest homes, apartment dwellings, hotels, grocery stores, food establishments and other buildings. They feed on a wide variety of foods including jellies, honey, shortening, peanut butter, corn syrup, fruit juices, baked goods, soft drinks, greases, dead insects and even shoe polish. n hospitals, foraging ants have been found in surgical wounds, I.V. glucose solutions, sealed packs of sterile dressing, soft drinks, water in flower displays and water pitchers. These ants are capable of mechanically transmitting diseases and contaminating sterile materials. Some feel Staphylococcus and Psuedomonas infections, occurring from time to time in hospitals, are associated with these ants.

I quickly called the manager who happens to live under us (we are on 4th floor) and she told us that she has had a problem with them too! Which leads me to believe that the whole building is most likely affected. My problem is the lanlord, is too cheap to pay for the amount of work needed to properly take care of this. At this point I just want out! Being that this species of ant may pose a health risk, what are my rights and in what order or regard do I approach this situation, so the problem will just go away the fastest??? Any advice is welcome! (Wa State)

Last edited by rachezz; 10-31-2008 at 03:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 04:33 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Infestations can be a habitability issue and grounds to break a lease once the owner has had an opportunity to remedy the problem or the county has cited the property.

What was management's response when you informed them you are moving due to the uncontrolled ant problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting