Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2008, 02:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 20,260,878 times

Advertisements

Yes, SOME of us do use these areas in an apartment complex, BUT, what about people that don't but still have to pay (in their rent) for these areas? Swimming Pool......Some folks go to a local lake or even pay to use a community pool. Others don't care to lay out around a pool or even go into one! The little "tikes" like them, but I don't even see that many at our pool!
Fitness Center......heck, there are one of those on every corner nowadays! Every time I walk by our Fitness Center, I only see a couple of people in there.
Business Center.....most folks use their OWN computers in their apartments and have a printer/fax hooked up to it!
These areas cost the complex money that comes out of the cost of rental of each apartment.
What do you think? Some people are always complaining how much rent they pay on their apartment, yet complexes have these "added areas" that some tenants don't use but pay for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 10:17 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,686,898 times
I think that if they don't want/like those amenities, they should find another place to live that is more to their liking. That's what I would do.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:05 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,680,221 times
All of our apartment communities offer these, but these amenities are actually used by many people. It does not effect the price as much as you think it does. The price is mostly based on the area (market surveys and competetion with other communites) as well as the apartment features. The amenities play a part in the price, but not primarily.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,012,768 times
We have a decent indoor pool we enjoy. The same for the few machines they have in the fitness area & nice big tv.
We don't pay extra...people who own the apartments here do.
Now if they'd just FIX the washing machines I'd be pleased.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:25 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,903,400 times
I think people search out these amenities, whether they use them or not. Personally, I like the pool/spa thing and our complex has a great Fitness Room. I really do not see many people using any of them (2 pools/spas and fitness)

I would love if they had a better business area. They have a fax machine. That's it. I am not sure if you can ask them to do copies, but I always just go to the Office Depot.

I think the costs are greater for things like granite countertops and interior amenities due to having to have multiples of those. I did notice that the apts that had those were at least a couple hundred more than the one I am in.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:15 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,193,448 times
I would not live anywhere in Arizona without a pool/spa. ;-) Ours is gorgeous. I can be out in the middle of winter with my pitcher of margaritas enjoying them. (Our pool is also heated in the winter.)

The fitness room a lot of people seem to use. We are directly across the street from a mega-schmoozy gym that even has valet parking (that made me laugh). But rumor has it that gym costs mega bucks. For the casual workout base equipment, it is helpful to have one here. They also do yoga classes and stuff like that.

The business center also gets a lot of use. I dont even have a landline phone-so I dont have a fax. If I need to fax something, I can do it free. They also have a copier, printer and so on. I may not use it "frequently" but it is good to know it is there if I need it, like I have an important presentation and my printer goes on the fritz-I can just walk to the business center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting