Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,218 times

Advertisements

I lived in an apartment after someone who owned dogs and signed the checklist the day I moved in (made me). Well a week later stains came up and they said they would redo it (never did). Anyhow after living there for over a year another person buying it and a property management team taking over, they want to keep my $500 deposit (fine with that) and want to charge me and additional $800+ dollars for having to replace the carpet. We shampooed that carpet often because it was embarassing and paid 150 dollars to have the apartment cleaned by a professional. Can they charge me for the carpet considering I was not the only tenant to have lived in that apartment?

P.S. I live in Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,700,078 times
Yes. The carpet life is 5 yrs. You should be charged a prorate on the life of the carpet, not the full price. Now, if you know the previous resident had pets, you can dispute it (especially if you had no pets). What are they keeping your $500 dep. for? Is it other charges? If those charges are not resonalble, dispute those and then some of your deposit can apply to the carpet replacement. The downfall on your part is you did not stay on them about getting your carpet cleaning.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayto View Post
I lived in an apartment after someone who owned dogs and signed the checklist the day I moved in (made me). Well a week later stains came up and they said they would redo it (never did). Anyhow after living there for over a year another person buying it and a property management team taking over, they want to keep my $500 deposit (fine with that) and want to charge me and additional $800+ dollars for having to replace the carpet. We shampooed that carpet often because it was embarassing and paid 150 dollars to have the apartment cleaned by a professional. Can they charge me for the carpet considering I was not the only tenant to have lived in that apartment?

P.S. I live in Oregon
They cannot charge you for normal wear and tear. If the carpet was in bad shape before you moved in, that is not your fault.

They offered to replace the carpet while you were living there, which tells you they were aware of the problem.

If what your saying is true, I would fight it.

Woofers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting