Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 61,145 times

Advertisements

Please let me know if you think this is weird... Today I got a phone call from a Collections agency, the only thing is they didn't ask to speak to me, they asked to speak to the name of my neighbor that lives downstairs. Immediately a red flag came up, I called back the number and the company assured me that they were not in the process of cold calling, and that any informations could only have been obtained if given to them. My number is also an UNLISTED number and has been since I had a phone installed. The neighbors have lived there for 5 years and we have only lived here for < 1, so there is no way for lines crossing or having similar digits. Had the call asked for a random person I would have no reason for alarm, but I thought this was a little close for comfort (they asked for her exact name).. I have to add in that I don't really trust the neighbors that live downstairs nor the landlord.. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid,, but I still think it is pretty strange.. Suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,207,814 times
Your number got listed somewhere in association with your address. They are cold calling (notorius liars) and probably called all the neighbors around the target person to mine any info they could get. They probably called all the neighbor's relatives or persons with similar names too. If the collection agency calls again, do not talk to them unless you tell them that you have recorded their number and will be suing them under the appropriate laws (can't think of the name right now).

Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM

11 posts, read 61,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Your number got listed somewhere in association with your address. They are cold calling (notorius liars) and probably called all the neighbors around the target person to mine any info they could get. They probably called all the neighbor's relatives or persons with similar names too. If the collection agency calls again, do not talk to them unless you tell them that you have recorded their number and will be suing them under the appropriate laws (can't think of the name right now).
I forgot to mention that if you look up the neighbors name in the White Pages it isn't even listed under the same addy.. you think its still the same situation? Mine is listed but their addy isn't.. thanks for your response.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,280 times
If they call back, be sure to get their name. Then start by reporting phone harassment to the police. You may want to change your phone number.

When I first moved to my current city, phone numbers were limited and reassigned quickly. I kept getting phone calls for someone who had apparently skipped out on a car loan and dumped a dog. The callers kept insisting I was this person. Very disconcerting. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,027 times
Information on you or your neighbor can be obtained from garbage or simply looking in the mailbox. County court records will match property to the owners, and if your neighbor ever ordered anything other than in person, she probably gave them a contact number and an address. That's all that's needed for a cold-call. How is your phone number connected? I'd suspect the cold-caller has a friend in the phone company selling information. Many times people have been fired from commercial retail companies for compiling and selling customer information. They haven't all been caught, though. I'd be careful of your identy, and contact your credit companies of your concern. You may be a target, as may be your neighbor. She should be warned, too.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,952,325 times
Default collection calls

as a former collector for a bank we often used a cross reference lookup to get in touch with neighbors to see if they'd leave a message on our customers door to call back. This often embarrassed the customer into calling back...or pissed them off so they called to complain about our calling the neighbor. This could be that situation.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,441,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforadvice View Post
Please let me know if you think this is weird... Today I got a phone call from a Collections agency, the only thing is they didn't ask to speak to me, they asked to speak to the name of my neighbor that lives downstairs. Immediately a red flag came up, I called back the number and the company assured me that they were not in the process of cold calling, and that any informations could only have been obtained if given to them. My number is also an UNLISTED number and has been since I had a phone installed. The neighbors have lived there for 5 years and we have only lived here for < 1, so there is no way for lines crossing or having similar digits. Had the call asked for a random person I would have no reason for alarm, but I thought this was a little close for comfort (they asked for her exact name).. I have to add in that I don't really trust the neighbors that live downstairs nor the landlord.. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid,, but I still think it is pretty strange.. Suggestions, thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
Yeah, tell them to *&#@ ! themselves, and hang up the phone!

Collections agencies are disgusting. No ethics whatsoever.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,042 times
How weird, I rent a house and this just happened tonight. For several days we have been getting calls from a collection agency (automated). Finally tired of listening to them on the answering machine so I called back here they wanted my neighbor. Weird, weird, weird.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,512,857 times
Some neighbors will use other neighbors' address and or number when applying for credit or buying/renting things thinking that it will make it harder for the collections to find them. I actually have one neighbor who has several kids and grandkids who use her home and telephone for certain business contacts.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
as a former collector for a bank we often used a cross reference lookup to get in touch with neighbors to see if they'd leave a message on our customers door to call back. This often embarrassed the customer into calling back...or pissed them off so they called to complain about our calling the neighbor. This could be that situation.
Isn't that illegal?? at the very least harrassment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting