Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times

Advertisements

They way I always did it was 1/3s and then half the 1/3 was spit between the two if there was a couple. We never had the private bathroom deal or anything but I wouldnt even care about that because that means you have your own too and no girl complaining about a "boy dirty" bathroom.

We always split the utilities 50/50 between the single and the couple.

Ive been on both sides and that seems to work out nice because its cheaper for everyone.
Otherwise the couple could rent thier own place for just a bit more than 2-1/3s most of the time.
When you agree to it just write it down and all sign it. That way there is no debate. If you truely cant afford it and have a budget set then you need to tell them that. And next year move! I never had luck with the couple/single living arrangement unless I was living with people that were over 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
If the bedrooms are of equal size and space then I would say the rent should be split in half. But since your roommates bedroom also has its own private living room and private bath, they are occupying more space than you are in the townhouse. The rent is about space, not the number of people in that space. Maybe measure the square footage of their personal area compared to yours to calculate the rent. If you do not have your own personal bath, then do not count the downstairs bathroom as your personal space, only your bedroom. A downstairs bath would be part theirs and yours since guests also use it.

As far as the utilities, they should be split in thirds no matter what.

Next time, be sure and get decisions in writing from your roomies.

Last edited by Beth56; 11-16-2008 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 09:09 AM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Anyone else notice that these two friends were doing fine until one got a girlfriend? I can't help but.
Yea, I did. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post

As far as the utilities, they should be split in thirds no matter what.

I have only split the water bill in thirds. Thats really the only thing that increases with more people in the house. I have also made it goal to try to avoid places with a water bill...lol

Old 11-17-2008, 12:18 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
The rent is not about bedrooms OR space. All have use of the ENTIRE townhouse, not just the bedroom. The rent should be divided 1/3 each. Just because one occupant does not have their own bedroom does not matter. What happens if they "break up"?? Where does the injured party sleep?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 PM

Landlords dont charger per person why should roomates? Landlords charger per room.
ANd you see if they break up then it goes to thirds. If she moves out, its still 50/50

Smooth transition and a nice rent cut for the drama of a breakup if she stays

Old 11-17-2008, 03:47 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
So if two people were sharing this townhouse and one person had the upstairs with their own bath and their own living room, and the other person had a bedroom only downstairs, you think the rent should be split 50/50?

Old 11-17-2008, 04:26 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Well, no matter what, It was decided beforehand, and now they are going back on the agreement, correct?

Personally, I think it should be 66-33, or at the worst 60-40. Particularly if they have so much more room than you.

Utilities should be the same arrangement.

I used to live with 2 other guys in a big townhouse. We had a good arrangement.
We split the rent into 1/3's.
We also had, I believe 3 utilities ... Cable/Internet, Electric, and phone. The most expensive one was the Cable/Internet. One roommate, who made the most, had that in his name and paid that one. I made the next most, and the phone was the 2nd highest, so I had that in my name and paid that. The electric was the smallest, so the last roomie had that one in their name and paid that. Made it quick and painless on everyone, and that way everyone has something they were responsible for.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
So if two people were sharing this townhouse and one person had the upstairs with their own bath and their own living room, and the other person had a bedroom only downstairs, you think the rent should be split 50/50?

Yeh..Because I actually have lived like that and the people stay in thier rooms and the downstairs becomes the other persons room.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
I think the couple should pay just slightly less. They probably only sleep in the bedroom and have equal access to the rest of the house. Especially since the upstairs living room is probably never utilized by the single person but the downstair, where the kitchen probably is does get utilized by the couple. Really, seems like they have the better deal.

Utilities should always be 1/3 split.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting