Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 62,656 times

Advertisements

I have asked a few questions on here, and have received excellent replies !! So if it;s OK, I do have one more question about something that has been really bothering me.

My landlord lives a few houses down from our house. Our house has a pretty big back yard that backs up to a chain of water.

Every week, after he mows his lawn, he dumps his grass in OUR yard! He has this one spot between 3 tree's and just dumps dumps dumps. A few weeks ago, i counted 5 times he came. And to get there, he has to go through our front yard, and along side of the house (with windows) to get to the place he dumps.

Can he legally come on to our (well really his but legally rented to us?) property and dump his grass like that?

Or could that be considered trespassing?

I thank you all again in advance for all the help you have provided !

Thank you!
Lindsay
Chicago, IL

Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
It's not illegal and it is his house. I don't know the state or local laws about your situation, but it is his property. if it annoys you, tell him. If you want to use that part of the yard, tell him. If it's creating a problem with smell or you just don't like it tell him. You are renting the property, including the yard. Ask him to stop and tell him you want to use the yard to your enjoyment. Be nice and polite and hopefully, he will stop.
I have several rentals and go onto the properties at will, not into the houses, but onto the properties.
I also use one house garage[detached and a 3 car garage], to use for storage of supplies and equipment. I've told the tenants why I use it and they have never had a problem with it. I've always told them to let me know if it gets in the way. Talking does a geat deal to alleviate a situation.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM

877 posts, read 2,076,603 times
ShaneSA makes a good point - talk to your landlord and tell him that it bugs you, or that you want to use the land. You'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar (at least according to the saying).

On the legal side, yes this is a trespass. The property you rented is yours, and you have the right to determine who enters your land, when they enter, and what they do. This is the right of quiet enjoyment. The only limitations are in case of emergency and terms spelled out in your lease.

That said, who doesn't mulch their grass clippings anymore? Such a waste of good fertilizer. If your landlord keeps dumping grass on the one spot, maybe you should start a compost pile.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
not to be rude but that sucks. I'm glad you aren't my LL. I don't want anyone in my yard and I consider it my yard if I'm paying rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
It's not illegal and it is his house. I don't know the state or local laws about your situation, but it is his property. if it annoys you, tell him. If you want to use that part of the yard, tell him. If it's creating a problem with smell or you just don't like it tell him. You are renting the property, including the yard. Ask him to stop and tell him you want to use the yard to your enjoyment. Be nice and polite and hopefully, he will stop.
I have several rentals and go onto the properties at will, not into the houses, but onto the properties.
I also use one house garage[detached and a 3 car garage], to use for storage of supplies and equipment. I've told the tenants why I use it and they have never had a problem with it. I've always told them to let me know if it gets in the way. Talking does a geat deal to alleviate a situation.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 AM

Chill out dear. I don't go into every yard every day. If a tenant has a problem then fine, I won't go. I do have the right to go onto the property. I do own it. I'm only saying, talk to the LL and get the situation explained and corrected. It helps to talk and get things out in the open and understood. If you rent it and the yard, then take care of it and maintain it. No problem.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
In my state that would be illegal;since you lease and control the property. He couldn't even enter the property unless its for legal purposes as stated in the contract; if you object. In fact ;a owner that leases property can be filed on for trespassing in most states ;I know of.Just make sure it is part of the property you rent or lease and ask local authorites like the police.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 AM

132 posts, read 528,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Chill out dear. I don't go into every yard every day. If a tenant has a problem then fine, I won't go. I do have the right to go onto the property. I do own it.
Does that mean you can walk in to a tenant's apartment whenever you feel like it? Maybe watch their tv, use their stove, and take a shower?
I don't know how renting a house works. If they're renting the whole house, they must be renting the whole property, rather than just the building, no?
If you rent something to somebody, it's theirs, until they're done renting it.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 AM

This is way out of control. I said I go onto the property. I never go into a house or apartment unles i am invited to go in order to fix a problem. The yard is a different matter. It is open and accesable. A LL has certain rights of inspection and access. Renters have rights of privacy and control. There is a balance there that is maintained. Going onto the property is not illegal when you own it.
Get informed on rules and regulations, then you will understand the balance and rights of both parties in a rental situation. Then you will not make stupid comments that make no sense.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Yes it is, unless you give notification to the tenant of intent to inspect the property. You're asking for a lawsuit.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Read your lease. If it's not spelled out there then you'll have to see what your state's real estate laws say about the matter. I would think you have sole right to use the property unless the lease states otherwise.

My rental agreement states: "Management shall have the right of access to property for inspection and maintenance during reasonable hours. In case of emergency, Management may enter at any time to protect life and prevent damage to the property."

I would never consider dumping refuse on the rental property or using it for anything else while it's leased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting