Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 58,093 times

Advertisements

Three times recently I have found small amounts of water seeping up through the grout of our bathroom floor. Same problem is happening in unit across the street. It seems to be happening about once/ week and not when it is raining. Any ideas on the cause and any advice? Has anyone else experienced this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Sounds like a sewer problem with pipes backing up if this is only in a residentual house and not on the front lawns etc. Could also be in the water lines. Bath tub or toilet is generally the first place to show any water leakege.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:18 AM

Default it is in an apartment building

I forgot to mention that it is a ground level apartment in a 4 story building. It is happening also in another ground level apartment across the street. I am wondering if it could be from a gradual buildup of ground water from the downspouts depositing water too close to the apartment.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Our complex has been having leaks fixed for weeks now. It's not going to be pretty, but your landlord will probably have to take a jackhammer to your apartment.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 13,451 times
points to ground water, which takes time to build up, especially if the land rises up from the apt in any direction/ If it be from waste(sewer0, it would be all the time. Did I mention that I was in the business.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 13,451 times
more input? could be a leak in thr common waste line coming down from upstairs, but only after a rain /groundwater is the first suspect.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:19 AM

Default soap bubbles in toilet too - mystery continues

We also hear our toilet make loud gurgles (air bubbles) when not using it and one time recently found it full of soap bubbles, which we believe came from someone else's washing machine in the building. I wonder if this could be related to the water seepage on the floor grout near the base of toilet, although the floor was dry when this happened. When we find the wet grout, it is always at the same time in the AM, usually about 45 minutes after the toilet has been used for the first time that morning. We never see this problem at any other time of day and it only happens about once a week. Could it be the wax ring or something else is clogged and causing it to happen at these times? There is no smell and the floor leakage is yellow.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
Why havent you called the LL? Its needs fixed whatever it is.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Sounds like a drain pipe is clogged with some hardened soap or ? blocking a normal drain function. During the night any water has drained slowly and at the first injection of water the pipe fills back up or any hot shower water (soap/shampoo) will back up to its nearest exit (your toilet) thus the soap bubbles. A person using too much soap (eventually hardening) in their laundry can clog the system. Roto Rooter might be your only solution. Same time a diaper or small toy will create a problem. With seven kids in my house yrs back gave me a small headache...removing the toilet...using a garden hose from outside access and running my own flushing water to clear pipes a few times. Wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting