Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:47 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times

Advertisements

My friend is planning to move in with her boyfriend. He owns the house and she will be paying an as-yet-undetermined amount of rent. I assume he will be using her part of the rent to pay the mortgage for his large house. I tried to talk her out of living with him for various reasons, but she's made up her mind.

Nevertheless, I think she should at least have a lease. That way, if they break up or have relationship problems, she will be somewhat protected. My friend has agreed, and I already have a basic MD lease that I can give them as a template, but I was wondering if it may be a good idea to add other information that would fit this particular situation: sharing single-family house.

For instance, they will probably share a bedroom, but should she stipulate that she has a room for her own use during the lease term? I think she may need her own space, and this is a good idea. That way if they fight or break-up she at least has a defined room. What about making the lease last 6 months instead of a year? Obviously I have a lot of faith in their relationship Am I off-base? Do you guys have any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM

305 posts, read 1,729,158 times
Sort of like a pre-nup for a non-marriage.

I think six months is a good amount of time - if they find out within the first couple months that it's not going to work, she'll have some time to find her own place. A year seems like a long time though; presumably after a year of living together you know if you're going to make it or not, and if you break up early on you're probably not going to want to keep living with your ex for the rest of the lease.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Very good idea. The lease also needs to specify who pays what and how much of the bills that go along with the house like electric, gas, cable, etc. Leaves less for the he said/she said problems later. She also needs to get receipts or otherwise document any payments made for anything.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
Very good idea. The lease also needs to specify who pays what and how much of the bills that go along with the house like electric, gas, cable, etc. Leaves less for the he said/she said problems later. She also needs to get receipts or otherwise document any payments made for anything.
Thanks very much, I forgot about the utilities. His house is big and old and I bet it costs a fortune to heat and cool. Also he’s getting equity and a tax break and she gets essentially nothing. If it turns out that the utility bills are $300 a month. Is it reasonable to say that she pay a third instead of 1/2?

Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Boyfriend/Girlfriend moving into a home owned by one of them should have a flat or fixed amount per month and on a month to month when/if things don't work out.

Personal Space, housekeeping, food and parking needs to be spelled out as well as entertaining.

More than 25 years of property management, I have "almost" never seen a lasting relationship blossom... but there was one couple that made it work

Old 12-10-2008, 01:41 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
I don't think a lease would be necessary at all. If they break up I doubt very much that she will continue to live there for a second longer than would be necessary.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:50 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Nevertheless, I think she should at least have a lease.
A couple of thoughts:

1) You don't "lease" part of a house. Instead, a roommate agreement of some kind would be needed.

2) Any relationship requiring such formality is off to a bad start with such a lack of trust.

3) It's none of your business. Sounds like you're trying to run your friend's life. Let her make her own decisions unless she specifically asks for your help, in which case your best advice would be to refer to to an attorney or couples counciling or both.

Steve

Old 12-11-2008, 08:34 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Why would she want the legality of a lease, which would essentially force her to continue paying him, if they do break up? As someone above stated, if it doesn't work out, I'm sure she would want out of there quickly.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:06 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,210,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't think a lease would be necessary at all. If they break up I doubt very much that she will continue to live there for a second longer than would be necessary.
I don't think leaving would be the problem but the who owes what bills does tend to be a problem afterward.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:07 PM

746 posts, read 2,175,740 times
How about making it a month to month rental, similar to renting a room in a boarding house? That way she is not obligated to pay for more extra months if things go sour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting