Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:31 AM

97 posts, read 406,627 times

Advertisements

Sooo... back to the OP - why do you want to know what the mortgage is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
I'd have to say, in this new financial crisis, that a tenant worrying about security is a concern. However, the amount of money involved is nobody's business. Asking, "Is this house under lien or clear title?" is OK. The landlord will tell you anything else he want's you to know, but any experienced landlord knows that information is a valuable and dangerous commodity. Tenants and Landlords aren't friends, they're business associates.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:43 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Public Records...

You should be able to look it up at your county recorder's office... it will tell you the amount of the loan.

A Title Company or Realtor also has access to this information... I don't know if they will make it available to you.
Question here. When did someones private mortgage become a public record? We are talking mortgage and not deed aren't we?

Last edited by Houston3; 01-03-2009 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 PM

I looked up the info on a neighboring house to mine because the owner/landlord was offering to sell it to me and I wanted to know how much the mortgage was for initially and when he took it out. I learned that it was from Wells Fargo, 1998 for $58,000. It also showed that he had owned the house since 1982 and paid it off once since, and re-financed it three times since then.

So it might not be their "private mortgage" information, instead a deed and some other stuff, but still has a lot of info.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Question here. When did someones private mortgage become a public record? We are talking mortgage and not deed aren't we?
Mortgage and Note Secured by Deed of Trust are often used interchangeably... but they are different.

I'm in California and Deed of Trust are used almost exclusively... Anything recorded with the county is public... that's why it's recorded... to make it public.

It is a simple matter to look up any recorded document and Deeds of Trust and often the Note are recorded documents.

Sometimes leases are also recorded as are certain construction documents.

You should at the very least be able to ascertain if the property is free and clear or encumbered and the purchase price, loan(s) amounts, lender of record, etc.

The old saying is information is power.

I have bought several properties by making offers which included the Seller carrying back a note secured by a Deed of Trust after first checking to determine the property was free and clear. I didn't want to waste any one's time with an offer when the Seller wasn't capable of accepting due to a substantial loan balance with a due on sale clause...

Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
I can understand the deed being public but not the amount of the loan. My deeds are all free and clear so I don't know what information is on them. I may just go check that out for the fun of it. I do know my release of liens from the county had no amounts on them.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM

I'm curious about that too, I own both of my rentals free and clear too. I'm going to be checking that out as well.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:02 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
In my state, mortgages are public records but they don't always say exactly how much is owed. Which makes sense, because even if the original amount is stated, the amount owed will change over time. Most deeds just say "ten dollars and other valuable consideration" or something like that.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:17 PM

Yeah when I checked on the neighbors property it just said what the original mortgage was for, not what was owed. I don't think there's any way the state/city/county etc could possibly keep up on mortgages owed...

I assume you're in Indy huh... Gotta love that giant race track around the city!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:33 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,028 times
I manage to avoid 465 since I work from home and live within the loop, but I don't miss it much. Yeah, there's no possible way a recorder could do a monthly update on every mortgage to record the new amount owed, including interest. Here, you're lucky if the mortgage even has a dollar amount on it - there's no need for it to, since it secures the debt created by the promissory note. And even if the mortgage had the amount of the debt AND the interest rate, I still wouldn't know how much taxes, insurance and PMI added to the payment.

I'm guessing this poster wants to either buy the place or take over the payments OR possibly the landlord is saying s/he can't afford needed repairs because the mortgage is too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting