Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc219 View Post
That's awesome, I'm wondering if I could put something in the lease that if they change jobs then they have to tell me where the new job is. Maybe that's getting a little too psycho. My last renters left and owed me some money and I couldn't find them. They didn't forward their mail or anything, and he had gotten a new job.

Good luck with round 3 if you even have to get that far.

I'm going to round 2 next month for the monetary part of the deadbeat this post was made about...

Regarding the mold, (lol), when I went in to clean I found the supposed mold, it was like 4" long maybe on a window sill, it was so small it would not show on my camera when I tried to take pics of it. what a loser she was.
I have no clue why it wouldn't be allowed to have a tenant tell you when he changes jobs since it could be important when the rent hasn't been paid.

My tenant started at Michaels and all of sudden I see him standing in the street close to a Super Target and flipping a flooring sign...(I was thinking is he going to pay almost $ 1400 in rent +all the utilities, by flipping a sign?). After seeing him a couple of time and waving, I stopped and spoke with him and he told me this was paying better since Michaels was cutting hours, than later he told me he worked for Macy's (unloading and unpacking)...
This was the one good thing that came from him never wanting to send the check by mail (it would add stamp costs!, and he already wanted to pay on the 1st and sometimes on the 2nd and he would be late every month if he would mail it)...some times it was annoying to drive by and pick up the rent specially when the gas was almost $ 4.- and you get a bounced check and have to go back a few days later after a bs story and you can't tell him that you know he is a liar!

I will enjoy my day in court and even if he gets a free lawyer like most of these scumbags are able to get...I'm prepared and my evidence is overwhelming (contract, emails, he statement of having lied to me, etc..) that I expect easily to be done and than a collecting agency can go from there....and reposrt it on both their credit reports.

I wasn't aware that all the bills were in her name until they vanished overnight and the mail still arrived....both names were on the contract (2 adults, than I want 2 names on the contract!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
Quote:
Third my lease states that problems do not have to be fixed/solved/addressed if rent is late.
Isn't that kind of playing with fire? So if a pipe bursts and the rent is late you won't fix it? Wow. This clause makes you sound very slumlord-ish, honestly. And it may not even be legal to refuse to maintain the property..........

It shouldn't matter whether the rent is late or on time or the property is occupied or not, you should be maintaining it. Even if it's only to save you money in the long run..............

Old 01-17-2009, 08:10 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
Isn't that kind of playing with fire? So if a pipe bursts and the rent is late you won't fix it? Wow. This clause makes you sound very slumlord-ish, honestly. And it may not even be legal to refuse to maintain the property..........

It shouldn't matter whether the rent is late or on time or the property is occupied or not, you should be maintaining it. Even if it's only to save you money in the long run..............
That was my thought...sounds like it's illegal. Even if someone did sign a lease like that, if it's illegal they are not bound by it.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 AM

97 posts, read 406,505 times
It says I don't HAVE to do something if they are late, not that I won't. Also in the lease I ask them to let me know if there is a problem even if they are late.

In this particular case where the lady decided to quit paying me because she didn't feel like she wanted to anymore. She said she wanted out of the lease, I simply asked her to pay me what she owed me and I'd let her out of it.

She did not like that and then decided that the "mold" was the reason she wanted to quit paying, and notified me in writing 3 weeks after rent was due, it allowed me to just take here right to court and not have to go clean up her alleged mold problem. At this point I wanted her out regardless of whether or not she started paying again or not. If I had to go clean her mold, and she started paying on time, I may not have been able to evict her. I wanted her out, and I got her out. The judge had nothing to say about the legality of my refusal to fix something if rent is late.

My houses are nice, it might sound slumlord-ish, but since I'm not a slumlord I don't consider it such.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
It says I don't HAVE to do something if they are late, not that I won't. Also in the lease I ask them to let me know if there is a problem even if they are late.

In this particular case where the lady decided to quit paying me because she didn't feel like she wanted to anymore. She said she wanted out of the lease, I simply asked her to pay me what she owed me and I'd let her out of it.

She did not like that and then decided that the "mold" was the reason she wanted to quit paying, and notified me in writing 3 weeks after rent was due, it allowed me to just take here right to court and not have to go clean up her alleged mold problem. At this point I wanted her out regardless of whether or not she started paying again or not. If I had to go clean her mold, and she started paying on time, I may not have been able to evict her. I wanted her out, and I got her out. The judge had nothing to say about the legality of my refusal to fix something if rent is late.

My houses are nice, it might sound slumlord-ish, but since I'm not a slumlord I don't consider it such.
That is good news and I guess a judge understand that if some one doesn't pay the rent, things won't be fixed until they ..pay or have left...you don't want to pay to fix things and they don't pay or have them break it again.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:55 AM

97 posts, read 406,505 times
Yeah don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to maintain my investment, it's just for cases like this, where it can be used to my advantage...

Old 01-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to maintain my investment, it's just for cases like this, where it can be used to my advantage...
I got that and agree with you...don't let others take advantage of you when you do what you are suppose to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting