Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in a great building and I love my neighbors. My apartment is very nice but after two years I am getting sick of the smallness of my kitchen. I've been looking around but I love my LL and am comfortable in this building. A few months ago an apartment became vacant and since then they have been working hard remodeling it from top to bottom. I have became interested in that apartment because its a tad bigger than mine and the kitchen is much nicer plus its been totally redone. I called my LL and left her a message telling I was wondering the price of the apartment and she left one for me telling me the price was $650. I then called her back and told her that I was interested in the apartment, she thought I had a friend who was interested. I told her my reasoning and she said shed hate to loose me and thought the world of me and that I have been a big "asset" to the building. I told her I couldnt afford the $150 jump in rent from what I currently pay but that I'd love to have that apartment. She said she'd really like for me to have it but that she just cant go any lower than $625. She asked me what would be the top I could pay for it and I said $575. She said she just needed to get more for it. I was wondering if I should call her back and offer her $595 or just let it go? She really likes me and loves that I take good care of my apartment and pay my rent on time. Any ideas or suggestions would help, especially from Landlords.. I'd like to hear your input! I know she dosnt have to lower the rent and I honestly dont expect her to but I wonder if it's worth a try calling her back or if I'll just annoy her by doing it. I even thought about telling to keep me in mind if she isnt able to rent it out as quick as shed like to. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 AM

725 posts, read 2,321,513 times
She thinks the world of you, says you're an asset and likes the way you keep up your apt.

'Nuff said. Your Landlord should hand you a contract that guarantees no increase in rent for as long as you live there. You've been an awesome tenant - as you described, so she should want to keep you.

I would even say to her politely that you want that kind of renewal stated in writing, or you'll strongly consider another apt.

With everything else coming down in price, your Landlord should be lowering your rent if anything!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I think you are a great tenant and as you stated she is a great LL. You asked her and she stated she can't do it. IMO you should leave it if you can't afford it. You explained she remodeled it and it cost a lot of money and it is different than yours. You tried and offered what you can afford and of course you can ask again, but don't make the situation go sour for both of you just because you can't pay more and she can't go lower...things can get annoying.

I had a potential renter (of course I don't know much about him, but he seems nice) call me almost a dozen times adn asking me what I'm asking for my property and what the lowest amount would be....he even send his sister to make pic. of my house...I am now at the point of getting annoyed. I have told him 4 times what the rent is and he is still asking for hundreds lower...than he wants an application since he might change his mind or I could change my mind, according to him. He has asked more questions and wrote me several emails and made an offer of hundreds lower in an email...it is getting annoying and I explained even on paper that my rent is a certain amount and I can help out give him referrals for rentals within his budget or what he wants to pay....still he keeps calling...

I know your situation is different since you know each other, but pushing the button can damage a good relationship. Good Luck and I wish just as your LL that you could afford to pay more.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Would your rent stay the same if you stay ?
Is it in good enough condition that she could now rent it for $50 to $75 more?
If so, she might be able to come out the same on both by letting you switch.
If I was the landlord, I would consider this if it meant no extra outlay to get yours re-rented.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 AM

97 posts, read 406,505 times
If I were the landlord I would not be upset if you came to me with another offer however, remodeling is very expensive, especially bathrooms and kitchens. If she remodeled those along with the rest of the apartment she might need that extra $150 to cover the costs, so if she won't do it, don't be upset or surprised.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
Why don't you offer $600? If you can afford $595, it's not much higher.

Then, also remind her she can renovate your place and get more $$ for it than you are paying. This way, she has 2 apartment she is now getting more rent for.

Also, if you know anyone, why not try to find a replacement tenant for your place and save her the trouble. She can still rent it at a higher amount than what you are paying, even if she doesn't decide to renovate it.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:51 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
She thinks the world of you, says you're an asset and likes the way you keep up your apt.

'Nuff said. Your Landlord should hand you a contract that guarantees no increase in rent for as long as you live there. You've been an awesome tenant - as you described, so she should want to keep you.

I would even say to her politely that you want that kind of renewal stated in writing, or you'll strongly consider another apt.

With everything else coming down in price, your Landlord should be lowering your rent if anything!!!!!!
Sure, just as soon as the tax man and the insurance man lower their cost I'd be glad to lower your rent! Oh and we might need to get that darn repairman to lower his rates too.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:03 AM

97 posts, read 406,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Sure, just as soon as the tax man and the insurance man lower their cost I'd be glad to lower your rent! Oh and we might need to get that darn repairman to lower his rates too.
no kidding. geesh!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I understand their are lots of costs involved in owning a rental unit. I never said there wasnt. I dont even expect her to lower it. No need to get all fussy.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homlish560 View Post
Bull. Just because some things have come down in price doesn't mean that the landlord's costs have come down. She still has to pay the same mortgage, property taxes, insurance, salaries, etc. In the case of the OP, I wouldn't drop my rent that far either. She's made her offer to you, either meet it or stay where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting