Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times

Advertisements

I received the "invitation" to come in and renew the lease on my 1br apt. they must be smoking crack for the rents they listed in the letter. Holy crap, I'm very surprised, since I know they have vacancies, the apt directly below me has been open since SEPTEMBER!! And 2 on the other end of my building are empty, for 2 mos now. I probably can go in and work them down, but I'm not sure I want to.

I'm seriously considering finding a small house to rent, just getting tired of climbing those stairs, dealing with other renters, and their guests who hog all the parking lot, trash all over, lousy maintenance, etc,

My question is, what is your 'average' rent increase after the initial lease time? Do you have a percentage in mind, do you set by what you can get, what similar units are going for? How do you figure this, I'm looking for a guesstimate.

Would you consider a lease longer than 12 mos? How do you handle lawn care issues? These things keep popping into my mind...I want to have a firm decision this week, then I can start seriously start looking.

Any advise will be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 AM

105 posts, read 221,804 times
Depends on your needs..but here is my 25 cents...

Some locales have laws governing the % a LL can increase rent from one year to the next.

In your particular situation, I would think you have a distinct advantage since most apts are not rented. I would walk in the office and say I want to stay here but I can't and won't for the amount of this increase. See if they make you a counter offer or better yet you give them an offer.

With regards to a house, it will depend on the LL. Some LL will say it is the tenants responsibility for lawn maint. other say the rent covers it and still other may say they will do it for a little extra money. So it really is dependent on the LL and the house you select.

I would not consider a lease for longer than 12 months.

Well GL and I hope this helped....

Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 PM

97 posts, read 406,627 times
I am somewhat new to being a landlord, and my longest stay has been 12 months and they moved BUT I personally didn't consider raising the rent on them after the 1st year. As far as lawn care, I expect my tenants to take care of the lawns and any code violations they might get for not doing so.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,260,210 times
I have always seem to get a 5-10% raise in rent if at all.

Those empty units is why your rent is way up. Their capital is way down!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:24 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I only raise it if the market or demand goes up and if my rental amount was on the lower side...otherwise I haven't raised it.

Lawn work is either for the tenant if it is a single fam. home or incl. if the rent my townhome....

Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 36,037 times
I own 3 rental's I only raise it if the market goes up. but I will wait until it it goes empty first. I would never raise it on any one with the housing shortage that we have around here.

Two of my rentals the tenant's responsible for lawn and snow. The other one is a duplex that I happen to live in too so I take care, well pay for the lawn care and snow removal.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
Raising the rent depends on the rise in costs. If costs go up, then the rent has to go up. I generally keep the rent the same if possible, if it still allows a profit. If costs go up, there goes the rent. If I have a good tenant, I do my best to keep the rent the same.
I did raise the rent on a long term tenant (5years), she laughed as said she was wondering when that would happen. I raised it $25.00, with apologies. She is staying.
I would try to negotiate with the management if I were you. Several empties is not good, and the prospect of another vacanciy is not good. If your a valuable tenant, they should want to keep you.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,954,922 times
I spoke to a neighbor last night and she told me (one of the maintenance guys tells her everything that's going on in the office) that everyone's rent is going up this year due to the "improvements" they are doing, power washing the buildings (we're just coming out of a drought???), resurfacing the tennis courts (no one has ever been on them that I've seen except some kids on skates) new exercise equipment and a new racquetball floor (again, I've never seen anyone in there and I can see in the building from my apartment). Basic fluff.....

She also he also said they've had a lot of expenses this year replacing appliances, so I'd bet thats another part of the raise. My water heater died and flooded the utility room so they had to replace, so that's part of my increase, I'll bet....

I'm going to go into the office this weekend and talk to them, but really think it's time to move on. this increase will make my rent $ 125.00 more than when I first moved in 3 years ago, plus we are now paying for water at approx $ 35.00 a month.... not sure it's worth it....

Old 01-13-2009, 03:46 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
The nice thing about renting is having the option to move...

Definitely investigate what's available...

Whatever you do, try to leave on good terms... no one needs to make enemies...

Once you have researched your options, let management know you would be happy to stay at the existing rent... if it's true... that is.

Sometimes, management will grant a concession to keep from using a valued tenant?

Tenant is responsible for yard care at my single family rental homes... I take care of yard care at multifamily complexes...

Many times I don't increase the rent... especially when I have an outstanding renter.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Same counts for me...if the tenant is outstanding I wouldn't consider to raise the rent unless cost have been raised from the HOA, etc.

I did tell my previous tenant who had 2 bounced checks and came up with an excuse every month when the rent had to be paid, that it would be higher....he got the message and vanished...but I already had his sec. deposit which was non refundable and I went to court for last months rent + damages and it will show up on his credit raport...and I didn't even have to go evicting him....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting