Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times

Advertisements

HI,
Not sure how to retrieve the answers to my question but my e mail is [EMAIL="superlady1963@yahoo.com"]superlady1963@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]. Any imput is much appreciated. I have been paying my rent at a leasing office in a complex since last August on the 5th of every month, I explained by social security check doesn't come into my account until the 3rd, the one lady in the office was fine and said as long as its on or before the 5th now all of a sudden they want a concession repayment fee back. They said they sent out letters at the beginning of the year well if thats the case, I never received one and why did they keep cashing and accepting my checks. I am so upset and confused . I hope someone can help me understand this.Thanks sharon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 PM

88 posts, read 335,424 times
Where I live (Minnesota) you have until the fifth of the month to pay your rent if you pay it on the sixth it will cost you 50.00 for that day and 1.00 for each day after that until it is paid. I think its ridiculous.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,395,056 times
I applaud that company for trying to sneak in a "concession" fee, but I personally wouldn't rent there. You are 100 percent correct that you could be scr*wed if you pay late by accident one month. Even the best tenants can have a late month. Why risk it? It sounds like they are offering an unrealistic monthly payment to trick people into saying yes and they are planning to get at least a few suckers with the "concession" fee to make up the difference.

But there is a problem. Fees should be high enough to make them worthwhile ( personally, I LOVE getting late fees mu ha ha), but not so high that they anger the people who are paying the fees. If they have made sure you have a job, even if you can't afford to pay, they can take you to court and garnish your wages.

Run, Forest, run.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:31 PM

88 posts, read 335,424 times
You would think in todays economy lanlords would try their best to work things out with the tenants because where I live people are buying houses all over and rental units stay empty and some are even reducing rents.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:44 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,744 times
Wow! I really need to find one of these apartments that offer market rate is $1,049 apartments for just 650/mth. How do I go about that?! We have never missed a payment on our house or an apartment since first renting in 1997 but we never get any special offers for rent.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
ok i pay 735.00 for a 3bdrm 2 bath a month now late fees start on the 4th of every month, now it start at 50.00 added on the 4th and 10.00 everyday after the 4th now can they do that????

Old 08-12-2011, 10:05 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjohnson81 View Post
ok i pay 735.00 for a 3bdrm 2 bath a month now late fees start on the 4th of every month, now it start at 50.00 added on the 4th and 10.00 everyday after the 4th now can they do that????
Depends on your lease and the state in which you live.

Why not just pay the rent on time?

Old 08-13-2011, 03:12 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,361,116 times
Someone mentioned online banking to avoid being late if you couldn't get out for some reason. Doesn't the person receiving the payment have to sign up to get paid this way?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Someone mentioned online banking to avoid being late if you couldn't get out for some reason. Doesn't the person receiving the payment have to sign up to get paid this way?

Nope. If the LL does not have a relationship with the your bank, your bank will mail a check to the LL (given the information you provide) through the US mail. Make sure you set it up to pay out with enough time to arrive at the LL's mailbox. DO NOT set it up to pay the day the rent is due, set it up to pay out 5-7 days AHEAD to avoid late fees incurred because your bank will not send it out until the time you choose and if you choose the due date, your rent will be late due to transit time in the mail.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:34 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
My complex offers online rent payment. I have never used it.

Rent is due on the first and the only time I paid on the 3rd (which is the last day before a $100 per day late fee kicks in) is because I was working double shifts and wont' just drop a check in the mail slot. I have them make a copy of my check and sign it for proof of payment made. They have a habit of holding the checks for up to 10 days before depositing them and the way they change office hands and lose documents, I want to make sure I have proof it was paid on time.

Do I think the late fees are crazy? I sure do, but since I pay my rent on time I don't care what they charge. And since they offer online payment, there is no excuse to pay rent late.

If your budget is that thin that you can't pay on the first, it's time to read Dave Ramsey and maybe list some things on Craigslist to up your savings account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting