Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times

Advertisements

Why is it that in apts on TV shows (NY, DC etc.) the apts all look
gorgeous, nice varied color walls, painted trim, art, curtains. Or even when they aren't always real nice they look individual (Law and Order) Like real houses.

Are you allowed to paint your walls? Put up curtain rods (when the apt has blinds), art, etc?

I wouldn't be so unhappy with my apt if I felt free to do these things without worrying about being charged for every nail hole or repainting even though its not like I'd be paining a dark color.

And If I could get them to change out the main area carpet. I must have moved in on the, one more tenant before new carpet timeline or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,324 times
We can paint, hang thimgs etc so long as we spackle any holes and if we decide to paint then we have to prime the walls for the paint the complex uses.

I had a private LL who let me do whatever I wanted to the walls.

Another apartment years ago, I could only repaint with their paint and I was responsible to spackle any nail holes so they could repaint.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:47 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,878,952 times
Try asking the LL. I allow people to paint, after I approve the paint and color. I only do that so that I do not get red acrylic walls or flat black. I also allow curtain rods, so long as people use proper fittings and not 10 penny nails to hang a timy picture.
If your in a complex, ask the manager to approve painting with the understanding that it will be easy to cover with thier paint. Carpet is another issue. If your carpet is worn or not up to par, ask for it to be changed.
Warning!! I had a tenant who complained about the carpet. I told her to go to ______ and pick out what she wanted. She did. I paid for it and it was installed. she moved in 6 months when her lease was up. I thought I could keep her by keeping her happy. So much for that.
Carpet is a difficult issue to overcome. I won't cater to tenants and carpet again. So be prepared for an argument on that.
You could get area rugs to put over the carpet there. that would add some style and detract from the carpet you don't like.
Talking to the LL is the first step. Smiling and....chocolate for me....makes negotiation better and more productive.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,206,908 times
Where I live we are allowed to hang/paint etc. Only condition is that at move-out walls have to be patched and returned to white and whatever else has to be undone (ie I know some tenants who changed out light fixtures on the ceiling fans, light fixtures in the dining room, hardware on the cabinets etc).

I am contemplating the carpeting discussion next time my lease comes up for renewal. I live in what is so called "luxury" rental. In this market, all the higher end places are going ceramic tile or hardwood on the floors-including their brand new competition which just opened across the street. My unit has ceramic tile in the entry, kitchen, laundry and bathrooms, but carpeting in the rest. I would contemplate asking them if I could ceramic or bamboo the rest of the floor. I suspect they will agree, especially if it will not cost significantly more. I will let you know in about 18 months lol! That said, my carpeting is in really good condition. I know the units were built in 2003 or 2004, so it has not yet been replaced. Their "incentive" list indicates they will consider replacing in 5 years, which will fall in line with my next lease renewal. I live in AZ so it is incredibly DUSTY here. You can dust and 5 minutes later not even be able to tell-so imagine what is in the carpeting. The apartment is very good that they will clean carpeting once or twice a year. (I lived in a complex in Ohio that gave me tremendous heartburn about cleaning the carpeting. I lived there 10 years. They would only do it...twice in 10 years. I had a small do-it-yourself cleaner I used periodically tho... That carpet was in bad condition just 10 years worth of traffic. And I know it was brand new when I moved in, because the unit was just constructed and I was the first and only tenant.) I do have large room size area rugs in the dining and living areas to bring some "color" into my decorating.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,799 times
Some of those apartments may actually be places people bought...I know in some areas of NY at least they are still called apartments even though the person owns them like a condo or similar. Then they can do whatever they like.

Usually holes in the wall and such are fine if you fix them when you leave (fill them in and paint over if needed). I've also heard of being able to paint in some instances. Our current place paints after every tenant and usually also changes the carpet. So, we don't have to worry so much about scuffing walls. At our old place we ended up filling in a lot of holes and touch-up painting. THey thought we didn't hang anything at all.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
Some of those apartments may actually be places people bought...I know in some areas of NY at least they are still called apartments even though the person owns them like a condo or similar. Then they can do whatever they like.
There are also some markets where it's expected that the renter will make improvements and make the space his/her own, especially if it falls under rent control. San Francisco and NYC are both like that.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Our lease spells out that we may do painting and install permanent fixtures (such as a ceiling fan or light fixture, etc.) as long as we obtain written permission to do so, and we may not take any permanent fixtures we've installed upon vacating the premises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting