Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM

14 posts, read 131,736 times

Advertisements

Last night I was going to take a bath and I turned the water on and went into the bedroom laid on my bed waiting for the tub to fill up and I fell asleep. Long story short the water ran for three hours before maintenance came in my apartment and woke me up and turned the water off.

I live on the third floor and the water went through the floor and there was damage to the two apartments below me. The apartment complex said I was responsible for the damages to the two apartments below me. There could be thousands of dollars in water damage. I don't have renters insurance. Is there anything I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,972 times
I'm sorry to say you're 100% liable for both the property damage as well as any damage to the personal belongings to your neighbors. Nothing you can do. Hopefully you have an understanding management that will work out a payment plan with you and understanding neighbors who won't immediately take you to court. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Probably the complex has insurance that will pay the damages, maybe not the other tenants, but to the building. Thier insurance company will come after you for the cost of repairs. As for the other tenants, they can file suit to recover thier costs. If you have no assets, then it is mute that they will collect from you, but you will be liable all the same.
This is a perfect reason everyone should have renter's insurance.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Probably the complex has insurance that will pay the damages, maybe not the other tenants, but to the building. Thier insurance company will come after you for the cost of repairs. As for the other tenants, they can file suit to recover thier costs. If you have no assets, then it is mute that they will collect from you, but you will be liable all the same.
This is a perfect reason everyone should have renter's insurance.
There was no damage to other tenants property. Just water damage to the ceilings and they had to call people to come extract the water at 4:00am. So it looks like the cost will come from repainting, extracting the water and carpet cleanings. I'm wondering if they can evict me. This really blows, I've lived in this apartment for eight years.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:18 PM

The can evict you if you don't pay when they send you a bill. Whether or not they will is a different story. If you've been there 8 years, I would like to think they will work with you and help you out with a reasonable payment plan. You just never know though. I hope you go out this week and get renter's insurance!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,909 times
100% liable. They'll sue you.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:59 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,739,314 times
cant get any more liable than that... my son recently had a pipe break under the sink in their co-op , it flooded 2 apartments below.... his insurance company paid to repair his damage but they said since it was not something he was negligent about like overflowing the tub he was not responsible for anyone elses damage.

everyone had to pay for their own repairs in that case. but boy you cant get anymore negligent then falling asleep and over flowing the tub.....in fact that was the example they gave for totaly at fault

guess you will be working for a while to re-do a few apartments

Old 01-20-2009, 09:49 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,835 times
Find out why the overflow valve in the tub wasn't working. Maybe you can mitigate your liability a little bit, though you're still responsible for the majority of them I'd say.

But, I'm afraid you are pretty much responsible for any damages, plus if the tenants below you are put out of their places during the repairs, you'd be liable to pay their hotel bills I think.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 AM

Well, it's day 4 after this little mess. Here's what has happened.

I’ve spoke with the property manager of the apartment complex. She seems to be very laid back about the situation and told me I wouldn’t be evicted. However, I would be responsible for the damages. She told me the cost shouldn’t be anymore than $200.00 to $300.00 max.

The problem is the smell is starting to get really bad. Does anyone know how long the smell will last? Also, should myself and my neighbors be concerned with mold?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 AM

That's good news, but I'm concerned. You shouldn't be smelling anything though if things were properly dried. Did they cut out the drywall to place fans in the walls? Did they pull back the carpet and place fans to dry the pad? Did they spary with a fungicide to prevent mold growth? It sounds to me iif it's only a couple hundred dollars that they aren't taking care of the proiblem appropriately, especially if you can still smell things. Water damage of that magnitude should really be taken care of by a professional restoration company, not maintenance. Did they bring anyone in?

You should absolutely worry about mold. It's serious business. Stay on top of it. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting