Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times

Advertisements

8pm is what I'd think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
People tend to get very offended if you 'infringe' on them. I think he's being a typical teenager--just living his life without a care about anyone else. We were all there, right?
Doesn't matter if he's offended, or if you infringe on him. Bottom line is, he's out of line.

Isn't there a noise ordinance in your town? The police should have a word with the person if you have spoken to him and asked him to respect that there others living in the building besides him.

I once lived next door to a teen who played drums. This teen would play vigorously into the night. I had kids who couldn't sleep. After words with his mother to please quiet in the evenings, I started calling the police when he took to his drums, mostly he'd begin around 9 or so and play until or after 11. The police went to his door and told him to have more respect. When they went to his door a second time, they took him in handcuffs. He then moved his drums to the opposite side of the house and we could barely hear him. Problem solved. We eventually ended up as friends and I tried hooking him up with people looking for drummers for their bands and giving him suggestions on how to get into the construction business.

When living in such close proximity to others, consideration is important.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
The problem seems to be that the OP hasn't spoken either to the boy or his mother as yet.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The problem seems to be that the OP hasn't spoken either to the boy or his mother as yet.
The situation (if you have rented before you will understand) is rather difficult. We have spoken to fellow renters before and it's backfired. One situation lead us to having to contact a lawyer and eventually move out of that place.

We do like it here and because this is one of the few places that allows us to have a dog, I'd rather not make waves right now. I spoke seriously with my husband (he's the one most inconvenienced) and he said it is not something I want to pursue right now. I believe if he continued to lose sleep on a consistent basis, he might say something.

So, I have to respect his decision right now. I do thank you for the comments, though.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
A little late to this thread... I don't like to hear noise that I can hear inside my apartment. Our apartments are fairly well insulated, so the idea that I can hear music through two walls or the floor, means your stuff is way too loud.

My old apartment, there was an idiot and his girlfriend that moved into the apartment above me. Mind you I'd been there for 3 years, one of the longest tenants in the complex at the time (most of the older ones had already moved away). Anyway this idiot liked to play his music insanely loud, and it reverberated through my apartment. I talked to him and asked him very nicely, even though he was younger and I knew what his answer was going to be, to turn the music down. He looked at me with a stoner look and said, "It's jus' music man..." Boy, I nearly socked him for that. Composed myself and said kindly, "I didn't ask you to to turn it off, I asked you to turn it DOWN." He said whatever and went on about his business. Again, I nearly socked him.

The concept of "talk to the neighbor" does NOT work when you're talking about rentals. People are in their own little world and don't give half a whit about your convenience or way of life, especially when it's younger neighbors. Ultimately, there's nothing you can really do about the situation. If you're not really willing to call police/security, you're pretty much stuck as is.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I hear you.
I don't want to be a heartless old bastard. I know what it's like to be a teen and want to have fun and enjoy things. The kid was outside last night w/his girlfriend and he always says hi and is not surly or rude to my face.

I'd like to cut him a break but his music disrupts my family. If he played anytime after 9/10 am and all day till 9 pm, I'd be cool with it. My husband would get enough sleep and we'd be able to go to bed 10/11 knowing it was quiet.

I blame the mother for not imposing rules on him. It doesn't help I am unemployed and stressed out trying to find a job then dealing with a sleep deprived husband.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I played lots of music for a long time in many rentals. Electric instruments were turned down low or played with earphones (Amps do have earphone jacks) . After around 6pm I'd play ONLY acoustic without an amp, and very quietly. I played electric guitar, but would bring out the acoustic, played electric bass but would bring out the upright 3/4, or the cello to practice on. For some odd reason, people think electric guitar is the ONLY way to go... it's definitely not. Play classic acoustic before you pick up anything electric and you'll be a much better artist.

Plus, you wont' be bothering the neighbors

Oh, and drums were out. ALWAYS. I never ever played drums in any one of my houses. I rented garage space in the country, shared with with someone and played there.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:12 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
The time of day has no bearing on the problem. If it's noon, and it's bothering the neighbors, then it's too late to be making noise.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I hear you.
I don't want to be a heartless old bastard. I know what it's like to be a teen and want to have fun and enjoy things. The kid was outside last night w/his girlfriend and he always says hi and is not surly or rude to my face.

I'd like to cut him a break but his music disrupts my family. If he played anytime after 9/10 am and all day till 9 pm, I'd be cool with it. My husband would get enough sleep and we'd be able to go to bed 10/11 knowing it was quiet.

I blame the mother for not imposing rules on him. It doesn't help I am unemployed and stressed out trying to find a job then dealing with a sleep deprived husband.
With all due respect I don't understand why you still haven't said something to him after all this time. You say you see him outside and he's polite to you, and you certainly don't have to approach him with a combative stance. Ask him in for an iced tea or something and have a pleasant chat with him. It certainly wouldn't hurt and may even solve the problem. Cheers!

Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
Music and more music.

Can understand loud music being played too loud in apts.

What about in your own two car garage?

Many yrs ago when my kids were teens #3 son wanted to play drums.

He and some friends set up a band practice session in my garage between 6-9 pm.

I kept telling them to keep the volume done enough so the neighbors would not complain.

Well some neighbors did come to the curb and listen...also a COP.

He was real nice and said the kids were doing pretty good for their age...BUT SOMEONE did call in a complaint. I told the COP that I would rather have the kids in my garage then maybe hanging around some place getting into trouble. He agreed and asked that I tone it down a little so there would be no more phone calls of complaints. Anyway never found out who the **** was that called. Lived in the house 20 yrs with no problems with my kids in the neighborhood.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting