Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,367 times

Advertisements

so tell me.. are all landlords truly as anal as the ones ive always dealt with? amongst all the problems my mother had when i was a kid, my current landlord is being a real a** right now, first he made us get rid of the cats that he had agreed to being in the apartment for an extra $20 a month, and now im having a problem with my bank that made my last check to him bounce, we agreed to have him collect the money sat jan 31st in cash at the apartment, however situations arose (my fiancee being hit by a damn truck) that did not allow me to be at the apartment to meet my end of the deal... and instead of being worried about my fiancee he was more worried about his d*** money and i quote "well i hope she is okay but can you get me my money by monday, i really need it like now regardless of what has happened." im sorry but this makes me want to literally smack him upside the head, my fiancee literally got hit by a pickup truck (read my blog to get the full details on the accident) and he just wants his money, seems to me, and my apologies to any good landlords here, and excuse my profanity but, this guy is a pure a****** and needs to sell his property to someone else to take care of, honestly im tempted to just move all my stuff out of there and tell him to shove his apartment up his a** for that and just move into my mothers house till we can find another place

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 02-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: Edit Profanity...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:35 PM

493 posts, read 664,978 times
More than likely he has a mortgage on the property and is struggling to pay his own bills every month just as you are, so he's depending on your rent money to keep his own butt out of hot water.

Sorry about your fiancee...I hope she is okay, but that does not mean the rent goes unpaid. Be a big boy now.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM

i understand that the rent needs to be paid, and that he could be barely making ends meet himself, but for him to show absolutly no sympathy towards my fiancee being literally hit by a truck pissses me off, even his "i hope she gets better soon" was hollow, sorry no excuse for this, human life is more important than money, no matter what the situation for the money is... there was no reason for him to get exasperated with me for not being able to get to my apartment yesterday... sorry, im not leaving my fiancee and future son's side just to make sure the rent is paid

Old 02-01-2009, 09:43 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
I'm sorry all the bad stuff is going on with you. BUT..the rent still needs to be paid and he is owed the money. I've been a victim of sad stories before from supposedly well meaning tenants and it has turned around to bite me in the a**. I have heard all kinds of excuses. I don't take them anymore, no matter how genuine. the rent is owed...pay it.
I guess it boils down to so many people in the past having sad stories that turn into very late or never rent payments. Sometimes business comes first.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
i understand that the rent needs to be paid, and that he could be barely making ends meet himself, but for him to show absolutly no sympathy towards my fiancee being literally hit by a truck pissses me off, even his "i hope she gets better soon" was hollow, sorry no excuse for this, human life is more important than money, no matter what the situation for the money is... there was no reason for him to get exasperated with me for not being able to get to my apartment yesterday... sorry, im not leaving my fiancee and future son's side just to make sure the rent is paid
I agree with you, I'd be mad if he couldnt' muster up some decent sympathy.

He probably does need the money to make the mortgage payment, but in my eyes, this makes him a slightly irresponsible landlord. I have seen one too many landlords who are depending on the rent money to pay the mortgage, for THAT month, it's ridiculous and a perilous place to be in for the landlord.

You might think of moving simply because if he's that on the edge that he's desperate for you to pay the rent, god only knows what his financial situation is, and hell, he could lose the house.

I have heard renters now are actually making demands to know the financial status of the land lords at this point to determine if the "landlord" is a risk!! Which they well deserve to do, no one wants to move in somewhere and then the landlord loses the house.

My brother in law was in this situation. After putting the house on the market two or three times they finally lost the house. He had to move, eventually, of course as the bank is not in the business of renting out apartments. Hope your fiance is better, and get the rent to the LL ASAP. Leave it at that.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM

so two landlords in a row that say screw the situation, money now, i see, so, if by chance the accident had been worse, like lets say we lost the baby or worse happened, lost both the baby and my fiancee youd still want your money... no matter the situation... i see.. and dont try to go back on what youve said ShaneSA, as you stated "business first" and "i dont take excuses no matter how genuine" ill never rent from you

Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 PM

493 posts, read 664,978 times
Well if the financee is really in the hosipital then one or two days wont kill him...most apt complexes give you a grace period of 3-5 days before they tack on late fees and whatnot, but you should be able to take 2 minutes to take care of your business outside of that even if a nuclear attack is due to level your town in 3 hrs.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 PM

he was not willing to come to the hospital, and im supposed to leave my fiancee's side?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:10 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
the same way you demand to be paid at work every week regardless of your bosses personal issues so does your landlord...sorry but its strictly business

Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
he was not willing to come to the hospital, and im supposed to leave my fiancee's side?
If you could show him proof the situation would likely change...I know it sucks what happened to your fiancee but I had the rent paid late due to the sister being in a coma, him being out of town twice, etc...and than vanished the evening before his last rent was going to be paid and he asked me several times to come to the house to pick it up...do I believe his stories...hell no...I asked several times how his sister was and he was very open in emails, but in person he acted like nothing really happened and she was okay...just another story to pay the rent late...

Sorry for you but with a bounced check the odds are against you unless you give him a letter from the hospital and that might help...I have explained to my tenant that it his responsibility to pay on time and that a check can be send by mail to be on time...I was so courteous to pick it up every month, I didn't have to....I don't fall for the sob stories and you can be mad at every LL because of your situation but look at the other side after getting all these b.s. stories....who would you believe if almost every tenant had a loved one in the hospital when the rent has to be paid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting