Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:20 AM

9 posts, read 28,748 times

Advertisements

I've found lots of information about landlords showing rentals that are about to be vacant, but I can't find anything about my specific problem. I live in an older building (1920's) with great bones (hardwoods, old window glass, great moldings). There are just 24 apartments in total, and definitely no model apartment like you'd find in a huge modern complex.

I am a professional registered interior designer and my apartment reflects that, as I've spent many hours and dollars to make it just right. My landlord saw the place a few months ago when he came to take care of a minor maintenance problem. I'm proud of my home and I was happy to give him the full tour, at his request, after he completed the repair.

Since that day, he keeps showing MY apartment to the prospective tenants for other vacant units. He does show them the empty apt, but then shows them my home to "show them how good it can look fixed up", as he put it.

I hate this. I am a private person and I am feeling so violated. I don't want him trotting strangers through my home all the time, touching things, gawking at things and leaving their scents in the air. He does it whether I am home or not. I complained, but he is claiming that the clause in the lease about showing to prospective tenants with proper notice means he can use my apt as the model apartment, even though mine is not the apartment available for lease.

At best, I feel that I have no control over my privacy and my home. At worst, I feel he is setting me up to be burglarized by some stranger he parades through here.

Am I stuck with this? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:08 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
I can't see how the prospective tenant clause is applicable here.
You have every right to object.

Maybe you can make a deal and charge a fee.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:19 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
If you haven't given notice of breaking or not extending the lease than the LL has no right to show your rental to any one. That is invading your privacy. I agree with the previous poster, ask him for a fee for everytime he wants to show your home or he has to stay out!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 AM

573 posts, read 1,689,763 times
....you know, I've been guilty of this. One of the tenants is a neat freak, and if someone always thinks their furniture won't fit, I show them hers.....she has a lot of furniture but it's tastefully done. I've always asked first, and she seemed fine with it. I might have to re-think this though, thanks for pointing that out.

Most leases just state that if it's YOUR apt. for rent, so I don't see why you couldn't object to this....

Old 02-03-2009, 08:29 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I would tell the landlord you are feeling put upon. See what the reaction is and then go from there.

If he ignores you, then find out what your rights are from an agency or attorney.

When we first moved to VT, we rented an apartment on top of a house for sale. The ba*ards had people viewing our place EVERY damn weekend (we had it in our lease it was limited to just Saturdays with our consent). We felt like someone was ALWAYS prying into our lives. (can you say Renting sucks...)

You should know your rights.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
Maybe leave for work one day and leave the place a MESS...hahah
That'll teach him to bring people in.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red myst View Post
Since that day, he keeps showing MY apartment to the prospective tenants for other vacant units. He does show them the empty apt, but then shows them my home to "show them how good it can look fixed up", as he put it.
Oh boy, that's terrible! I would hate it if someone was doing that to me. I would most certainly tell him how you feel about it, and see if something can be worked out. Surely he can't always choose yours, especially if you haven't given notice! And I'd really be tempted to leave the place as messy as possible for a while, and perhaps put up some offensive pictures or something, if you can stand to do that.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red myst View Post
I've found lots of information about landlords showing rentals that are about to be vacant, but I can't find anything about my specific problem. I live in an older building (1920's) with great bones (hardwoods, old window glass, great moldings). There are just 24 apartments in total, and definitely no model apartment like you'd find in a huge modern complex.

I am a professional registered interior designer and my apartment reflects that, as I've spent many hours and dollars to make it just right. My landlord saw the place a few months ago when he came to take care of a minor maintenance problem. I'm proud of my home and I was happy to give him the full tour, at his request, after he completed the repair.

I hate this. I am a private person and I am feeling so violated. I don't want him trotting strangers through my home all the time, touching things, gawking at things and leaving their scents in the air. He does it whether I am home or not. I complained, but he is claiming that the clause in the lease about showing to prospective tenants with proper notice means he can use my apt as the model apartment, even though mine is not the apartment available for lease.

At best, I feel that I have no control over my privacy and my home. At worst, I feel he is setting me up to be burglarized by some stranger he parades through here.

Am I stuck with this? Please help!
Did he offer a rent deduction? He should have asked you and offered a discount for your trouble. He should also work within your schedule if you agree to the terms. If he's not specifically renting YOUR apartment then he doesn't have the right to use your place as a model apartment because they are not prospective tenants for YOUR space. You can always threaten him if he doesn't stop, "I think you are taking advantage of me and maybe we need a judge to figure this out." I'm a landlord and I would never intrude on my tenants space unless I absolutely have to... that's your sanctuary and you shouldn't be forced to do this.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM

9 posts, read 28,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebdj View Post
....you know, I've been guilty of this. One of the tenants is a neat freak, and if someone always thinks their furniture won't fit, I show them hers.....she has a lot of furniture but it's tastefully done. I've always asked first, and she seemed fine with it. I might have to re-think this though, thanks for pointing that out.

Most leases just state that if it's YOUR apt. for rent, so I don't see why you couldn't object to this....
Please do, or at least ask her if it bothers her (during a conversation where you are not also requesting permission to show it). I think it is easier to say something bothers you in a general conversation than it is to deny a direct request.

Maybe it really doesn't bother her the way it bothers me, but it can be hard for a reasonably nice person to deny a request from another reasonably nice person. That's how I felt about it the first few times, until he stopped asking permission and just started giving notice and demanding to show it.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Yeah, OP...he's acting inappropriately. Definitely needs a kick in the pants of some sort to get him to stop doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting