Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times

Advertisements

I swear, I should probably just make a 'JetJockey has problems renting' thread to answer all my questions....

Anyway,
The house I'm in now (the one we're getting unceremoniously kicked out of for the electrical problem/LL selling the house) we've been in for nearing 3 years. Of course there are some issues. I didn't do a walkthrough before we moved in and I won't get one after. We also didn't pay a security deposit, just a first and last. Most of the house is slate tile and hardwood which is in fine condition, but the carpet in two of the rooms is the super super cheap 1/4" thick Home Depot carpet on a roll type. Since I've lived there for as long as I have, the carpet has been used. There aren't any huge stains, but it does look worn, plus it's white so after being exposed to the sun for 3 years it's now a dingy yellow/white color.

Also, the front door has a crack in the glass that has gotten worse over time but it was there before we moved in. Nothing else is missing/worn/cracked etc. I have let our LL know about these things, and he disregarded them as not important.

Could he come back and sue me for these things later? I'm a bit worried since there is no documentation... I'd replace the stuff, but he wants us out in two weeks and that's not enough time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:04 PM

850 posts, read 4,745,518 times
Could he sue, yes. Will he win, maybe. That's a tough one. You really should have really gotten an inspection when you moved in. Now it's your word against his. That can go either way in court. Make sure you get one in your new place! And when you move out of this one, take pictures of everything, or better yet video, since he won't do his own inspection, just so you have documentation of how you left the place.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,290,554 times
Get it in writing. Walk through checklists should be done on moving in and out. Thats more for your protection if you get a shifty LL.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:09 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
A pre move-out inspection is your right under CA law...

Normal Wear and Tear is the owner's responsibility... dirt and damage caused by you or your guest(s) are your responsibility.

The surest way I know to check carpet for pet/spill damage is to pull up a corner and roll it back... you will see EVERY stain... I've been through arbitration hearings and the damage is very evident.

Even if the carpet is toast... the owner must pro-rate over the useful life expectancy... so no new carpet for old... unless the carpet is less than a year old.

From your posts... it sounds like you have a understanding with your Landlord and realistically, he is in a difficult situation serving in the military overseas.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,662,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A pre move-out inspection is your right under CA law...

Normal Wear and Tear is the owner's responsibility... dirt and damage caused by you or your guest(s) are your responsibility.

The surest way I know to check carpet for pet/spill damage is to pull up a corner and roll it back... you will see EVERY stain... I've been through arbitration hearings and the damage is very evident.

Even if the carpet is toast... the owner must pro-rate over the useful life expectancy... so no new carpet for old... unless the carpet is less than a year old.

From your posts... it sounds like you have a understanding with your Landlord and realistically, he is in a difficult situation serving in the military overseas.
Yeah... I just feel bad leaving the house like this. I was planning on replacing the carpet, as a good friend of mine works construction and always has giant pieces of leftover carpet that I can have for free. My dad is an ex carpenter so he said he would install it for a case of beer . Unfortunately, since my LL is asking us to leave there really isn't a way I can do that. What I'm worried about is that he won't even see the carpet or the house for another year or two. He's sending a 'buyer' to look at it, so there is no way to prove whether or not the house looks any better, or worse than in the beginning.

Such a frustrating situation, but at least I know the proper way of doing things now

Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM

850 posts, read 4,745,518 times
Well, I wouldn't worry about it then. He can't charge you a year later. Check the laws of your state, but most are 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting