Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times

Advertisements

My dh was laid off last week. He is/was the major bread winner although I do work full time. I paid March's rent and gave our notice to vacate on 4-1-09. We have 6 months left on our lease. While I totally understand if they don't get the place rented we are liable...however we are beyond broke and very well may end up in a homeless shelter. Also the landlord isn't in the best of financial shape either. I feel absolutely horrible. I have never done this before. I will leave the house clean and nicer than when we moved in but we won't be able to pay after 4-1-09. Any suggestions? BTW even with unemployment we will be behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,311 times
Try everything you can to get another renter in there. Craigslist is free, although your landlord may run background and credit checks that the new tenant would have to pay for. Perhaps there are other places around town where you can post ads for the apartment. Keep the place spotless so that when other prospective tenants look at it, they won't be turned off by the condition of the place. Deep clean everything as well as you can before you move out. These are things I think can help both you and the landlord - it's in everyone's best interest to have another tenant take your place, and if you do most of the legwork on finding new tenants, it takes the strain off the landlord.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
At least you gave notice. if the LL chooses to persue it, so be it. You are doing the fair thing in this economic bad time. I've had 2 renters just leave. I didn't know it until they failed to pay the rent. At least your LL has a chance to get the place re-rented.
BTW, you are not liable for the remainder of the rent if it gets rented. The LL can't collect rent twice.
Best of luck to you.

Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 AM

9 posts, read 39,692 times
Maybe you can talk to your landlord and settle with something you both can live with. Since you mentioned that your Landlord is also not in a good financial shape, maybe you can help each other. I agree with the suggestion of Naptowner. You can do this and maybe your landlord will agree on it.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I've had one tenant abandon, which we didn't know about until he failed to pay rent. He was month to month, but didn't give notice. We sent him a bill for the months rent we were already out when we learned about it, plus the next month's, since he hadn't given notice, as well as for all the damage he did to the property.

I've also had one tenant call up on February 27th and say he was moving...that day. One day notice. He was also breaking the lease, but only 2 months early. We held him to paying March, but let him off for April.

Keep good communication lines open. Not much I hate worse than a tenant who avoids me. What the others said is the best advice. Look for replacement tenant possibilities. Keep the place spotless (and available any time) for showings. Leave when you agreed to and clean well. If the LL holds your feet to the fire after that, there isn't much you can do about it, but you'll at least know you did the right thing.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 PM

548 posts, read 1,038,472 times
Thanks everyone. I e-mailed her today and let her know the house still needs to be rented but since my dh is tranferring to another place 180 miles from here we will keep paying the rent as long as he has a job. I pray he doesn't get laid off in the new place. (he works for the rr) The economy is killing us. I have always taken care of the places we have lived in. When we moved here it was very dirty and I cleaned it, the ll also gave me permission to paint it since it was disgusting. It looks pretty decent now. I have always been up front with all LL. I can't imagine leaving a place dirty or with no notice. I know some people do though. My sister is like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting