Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,790 times

Advertisements

no i did not give him the keys infacti never saw him after the day he signed lease just phone calls and i stopped answering his calls now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 03:04 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,972 times
So if he's calling you and you're admittedly not returning his calls, then the old "I can't find him" argument isn't going to hold up. Plus, if he's calling and you know it's him and you're not answering, then you obviously have his phone number and a way to contact him. He actually may have a case against you if you don't go about this the legal way. He can show his phone records that he's attempted to contact you to make arrangements, but you're dodging him.

I know he sounds like a deadbeat and has already breached, but why aren't you answering his calls? Have you told him on any previous calls about the notice you sent him? You don't need to listen to his song and dance of excuses, but you can at least every time he calls inform him of your plans.

My best advice (other than contact a lawyer) is to try a scare tactic. Tell him you're going to go through the courts to legally terminate the contract and recover all of the money you are out, but give him the option to voluntarily release the apartment back to you free and clear and you'll save this public record from being added to his credit report and the extra money. Make sure once he agrees to get it in writing. Then I'd say you're free to rent to the next tenant.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,881,476 times
Texas law is give a 3 day notice to vacate. He never moved in and never paid. Contract null and void. End of story. He can't sue. He hasn't got a leg to stand on. What's he going to use for proof of payment of rent and being evicted.......receipts????? Go ahead and rent it.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Texas law is give a 3 day notice to vacate. He never moved in and never paid. Contract null and void. End of story. He can't sue. He hasn't got a leg to stand on. What's he going to use for proof of payment of rent and being evicted.......receipts????? Go ahead and rent it.
Hallelujah!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:57 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
If he couldn't afford an initial deposit, I doubt he has the funds to get a lawyer to sue for anything. However, I really agree with Babytarheelz in that the right thing to do is to at least answer the call from the guy, or call him yourself, to advise him that he didn't get the down payment/ deposit to you within the agreed on two week period and you had to rent to someone else. I would also let him know in writing if possible. This way, you are covered and have been honest with him.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
I'm really just not comfortable with all this talk of just renting to the other tenant. Seriously check into the legalities of doing so. You have a contract that I'm sure states what remedies you'll use should he default, so I would think you're legally bound to those remedies. I highly doubt that includes just re-renting the place immediately without giving the tenant a certain number of days notice. IDK, every area is different too. Talk to you a lawyer before you do anything please!
I can side with BabyTarHeelz on this one. If this guy is a "professional" he may indeed be able to take the landlord to court. Even with no money our awesome judicial system will assign him a great lawyer for Free. I would do the right thing and spend the couple of weeks/bucks to get the lease nullified by a judge. ShaneSA may be right. He/she has more experience than I do, but I'm afraid of litigation. If there's even a chance this fool is trying to pull some new sort of scam, I would go to court or consult a lawyer to make sure the lease is nullified.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,061,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Even with no money our awesome judicial system will assign him a great lawyer for Free.
Only if he is broke and appearing in a criminal case. In a civil tort action he would have to "sell" his case to a private attorney and then the attorney would have to convince the court to rule in the plaintiff's favor. That ain't going to happen.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:36 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
He's already broke the agreed apon terms, do you really want to deal with this type of thing on a regular basis?

Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
A contract requires consideration...

Your prospective tenant has not been considerate

Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM

637 posts, read 3,236,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A contract requires consideration...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Your prospective tenant has not been considerate

see above...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting