Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,019,636 times

Advertisements

We live in a pet friendly complex. Thank God we found it because our last LL asked us to leave as he was renovating the dwelling we rented and finding something allowing dogs was IMPOSSIBLE in that town.

Pet owners are actually nice, caring people but you should make sure they know your expectations.

So many people in this complex (with dogs) are slobs. There are loads of dog poop all over the lawns because some of these 'idiots' cannot be bothered picking up the feces.

It's in our contract we should do this. People ignore this as well as 'noise' rules.

If you do rent with someone w/a pet show up often and unannounced. Also make it a rule they 'clean up' waste. Sometimes just providing a pail and shovel and saying 'use it' may help end confusing.

But do put it in your lease.

You may get some very nice folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,890,738 times
I wish I lived in a dog free community. I wouldn't rent to people with dogs over 15lbs.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,039,716 times
I'm not renting in the future to dog or cat owners. I have dogs and cats of my own, and I see the damage they do to the woodwork in my floor so it's not worth renting to someone with pets and having to repair the rental unit every time they leave. Plus the current tenant is not diligent about keeping his dog on a leash and he doesn't clean up well after her.

One of my old landlords had a firm rule about not wanting college students and male cats in his apartments. Cat urine is very difficult to remove.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,548,898 times
It's kind of a bummer that bad pet owners make it really difficult for the good ones to rent a home. We were lucky to find our place, and we're lucky to have our dog as well. Just last week my boyfriend took our dog for a walk and realized he had forgotten her doggy bags, so he actually went to a trash can and looked through it to find a plastic bag to take with him. Otherwise, he would have come home. We clean up after our dog at the MINIMUM of once a week in our private back yard and can't imagine actually letting her poo in public property and just leaving it there.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,742,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Should I do this or not?
Only if you can't find good tenants without pets. Pets can really be an issue.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,081,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Should I do this or not?
Well, I would, but only because I am a huge animal person. All of our pets are "rescues". I've been reading about people losing their homes and abandoning pets because they can only find "no pets allowed' properties. I'm the sort of person who would always rather be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

First thing: make property as "pet friendly" as possible. Hard-surface flooring (no carpet), scrub-able painted surfaces etc.

Then, meet the pets and of course get a deposit.

Personally, I find the age of the pet to be more telling than the species/breed or weight. Older animals tend to be housebroken and just more well behaved. Larger breeds of dogs are actually often more sedentary and less "barky" than the toy breeds.

Kittens, puppies and toddlers tend to be hard on houses. If I had to choose between a tenant with a geriatric Lab or a renter with 3 children under the age of 5? I'd choose the dog hands down.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:50 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,195,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Well, I would, but only because I am a huge animal person. All of our pets are "rescues". I've been reading about people losing their homes and abandoning pets because they can only find "no pets allowed' properties. I'm the sort of person who would always rather be part of the solution, rather than part of the problem.

First thing: make property as "pet friendly" as possible. Hard-surface flooring (no carpet), scrub-able painted surfaces etc.

Then, meet the pets and of course get a deposit.

Personally, I find the age of the pet to be more telling than the species/breed or weight. Older animals tend to be housebroken and just more well behaved. Larger breeds of dogs are actually often more sedentary and less "barky" than the toy breeds.

Kittens, puppies and toddlers tend to be hard on houses. If I had to choose between a tenant with a geriatric Lab or a renter with 3 children under the age of 5? I'd choose the dog hands down.
Good Post... I have a 11-1/2 y/o Rhodesian Ridgeback that if he is still living a year from now (He is healthy currently) he is coming with me to relocate back to the mid-west. Older dogs are much more settled than young puppies or even young pre school children or grade school children for that matter. All my dogs knew their crates well and were all started in crates when they were puppies. Nothing wrong with crates. Renters would have no problem keeping their units filled if they went a long with what you said to make the unit dog proof so to speak, e.g. the wooden floors. I as a Land lord would also ask that the owner would have access to a crate. I used to have 4 large dogs which were all crate trained but have lost 3 due to bloat and cancer over the last 3 years but for the most part lived full lives...

Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM

288 posts, read 915,823 times
I'd rent to someone with companion animals before I rented to someone with kids. In either case, I'd get it in writing that any and all damage be completely fixed. And the gosh durned deposit would be COMPLTELY REFUNDABLE (for animals or kids) if there is no damage at the end of the lease because I'd want to attract responsible tenants who will be sure to keep their animals/kids under control in order to get their money back. If still nervous, require a very large refundable deposit. Then you've got plenty on hand if there is damage and they can get it all back if they are responsible people.

People with animals tend not to want to move around a lot because of outrageous "pet deposits" especially when coupled with "pet rent". Get someone who agrees to repair/fix/replace anything damaged in return for a full refund of any deposit/rent and you'll have someone reluctant to move out.

My previous landlady required a depost of $560 for my dogs. I got it ALL back after she inspected the place and realized there was no damage whatsoever. That's the way it shoud be done.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,644,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
I'd rent to someone with companion animals before I rented to someone with kids. In either case, I'd get it in writing that any and all damage be completely fixed. And the gosh durned deposit would be COMPLTELY REFUNDABLE (for animals or kids) if there is no damage at the end of the lease because I'd want to attract responsible tenants who will be sure to keep their animals/kids under control in order to get their money back.
Thank goodness for the Fair Housing Act. It's illegal not to rent to people because they have kids (with some senior citizen housing exceptions). You also can't charge families with kids a higher security deposit.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,123,432 times
I'm a pet owner and a clean freak. Bet my dogs are better behaved than most kids I encounter and my house cleaner than one that had children running amok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Thank goodness for the Fair Housing Act. It's illegal not to rent to people because they have kids (with some senior citizen housing exceptions). You also can't charge families with kids a higher security deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting