Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,255,810 times

Advertisements

It is illegal. You could get in trouble for it. You seem to be under the illusion that you own the property, rather than are renting it. Yes, there are legal restrictions on when a landlord can enter a leased property, however, that the landlord is doing something wrong doesn't make it find and dandy for you to do something wrong. That's Kindergarten 101.

We once had a landlord who entered our apartment whenever he felt like it (he lived on the property). We simply moved. MOST landlords won't do that, paranoia notwithstanding.

By the way, in most communities, if your dog bites someone, you may have just condemned him to death. Especially if he's bitten someone before. So, if you care about your dog at all, you might want to rethink that attitude. If you don't care about that, find the poor animal a home with someone who does care about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:16 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,037,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It is illegal. You could get in trouble for it. You seem to be under the illusion that you own the property, rather than are renting it. Yes, there are legal restrictions on when a landlord can enter a leased property, however, that the landlord is doing something wrong doesn't make it find and dandy for you to do something wrong. That's Kindergarten 101.

We once had a landlord who entered our apartment whenever he felt like it (he lived on the property). We simply moved. MOST landlords won't do that, paranoia notwithstanding.

By the way, in most communities, if your dog bites someone, you may have just condemned him to death. Especially if he's bitten someone before. So, if you care about your dog at all, you might want to rethink that attitude. If you don't care about that, find the poor animal a home with someone who does care about him.

Ummm, my dog bites burglars. When someone enters my place without permission, it is the same thing. I would be willing to bet you and I live in very different neighborhoods.

Please step off the soapbox, and save the PETA speach for the pet fourm.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 AM

18,375 posts, read 31,491,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I totally agree... that's like the scummy landlords who claim proudly "It's MY house and I can go in the apartment whenever I want to"......

I had the POLICE tell a former LL that if he ever set a foot in my apt again without my permission and/or prior notice, he would be locked up for tresspass and burglary. The LL was standing there sputtering and stuttering... "it's MY house".. the cops told him "when you rent to a tenant THAT part of the house is no longer your. STAY OUT" The dirtbag LL was practically in tears!!

LOL!!!!
Not wanting to give a key is no means to hiding something.
If you have a house with a mortgage, the Bank technically owns it, would you give them a key to your house.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,441,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Not if the dog is biting someone who is INSIDE his apartment without his knowledge or permission. That's what a WATCH DOG is! And being inside someone's apartment without their knowledge or permission is a CRIME (unless it's the LL/Maintenance and there is a TRUE emergency).

Old 03-04-2010, 07:23 PM

133 posts, read 281,492 times
Once many moons ago i had a sneaky snooping widow landlord.You first wedge say a matchbook in the top of the door as you close it.Once i knew she was snooping.Those chain latches for the inside of the door.So you can open the door 4" and look out.They have/had them with a lock you used a key to reach in and unlock.I was having a ball at her frustration.I saw it in her face the next day i came home.How could she say she saw it? That would mean she had to admit to snooping.It took her a month to say something.When she did? I said if you need to come in my apt. just ask.Come up for dinner tonight.I then said someone else must have come in too because i was missing a hundred dollars.If its an emergency just push hard there are only 4 tiny screws.I don't want my rent money to go missing.The look on her sweet irish face as it turned to a forced grin was priceless.Landlords can have access with 24hr notice or in an emergency only.I told my tenant now that i need a key or not.If not and theres an emergency he pays for damage to enter of a $100 dollars.I have no key,but a strong shoulder and lots of tools.We are both happy.The little useless lock chain was $4 then.If on a metal door the bases with screws can be attached with epoxy.Simple solution for cheap.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 AM

25 posts, read 118,237 times
TexasHorseLady is right. Just as it is illegal for a landlord to lock a tenant out without going through the eviction process, it is illegal for a tenant to lock a landlord out of his/her property. And regardless of what the police told some previous poster, if that post is even true, it *is* that landlord's property. You are simply using it per the terms of the lease. Break some of those terms and see what happens. I totally understand the feeling of not wanting someone entering your place, as I rented throughout college and a couple of years after. I am a landlord now, and I do my best not to enter at all, but if I do I give notice. I get in, keep my eyes on the task at hand, then get out. I would never intentionally do anything harmful to my tenants... ever. Also, states vary as to how much notice is required. In NC the statutes only specify "reasonable" notice, which most people take to mean at least 24 hours, but it can be less if the tenants agree. As for dogs biting people who enter, this is one of many reasons I don't rent to people with dogs. That's a liability. Quality properties don't let aggressive dogs in.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Not if the dog is biting someone who is INSIDE his apartment without his knowledge or permission. That's what a WATCH DOG is! And being inside someone's apartment without their knowledge or permission is a CRIME (unless it's the LL/Maintenance and there is a TRUE emergency).

agreed !!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,959,702 times
I thought pets (of any kind) were one of the reasons why a landlord has to give tenants notice if they are going to be entering the property....even if just to spray or check on a previous repair. People don't even want their cats or even small in a situation where someone may leave a door open and they get out. If someone came into my house without warning or notice, if I had a dog that would bite, then they put their own self into that situation.

I do think that legally, they have to give notice to the tenant before just coming into the property.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM

I hate this crap about LL entering apartment without the tennant knowing, it is crap. There had better be a freaking good reason for entering anyones house without notice.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:48 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,665,556 times
Before you move into any rental you should always check out the prospective LL. Check for arrests and sex offender list at your local town hall or police station. There are many "sneak and peak" landlords who pray on women and their female children. They attempt to enter the rental at times when they think the tenant would must likely be in the shower or in a relaxed attire.

There are battery operated cams with solid state memory such as "game cameras" that can be used to record entry into your rental even with the power off. Today if a perverted LL takes pictures or you or your family members those pics could end up on the internet for all to see.

If you suspect a sneak and peak LL then prop a chair against the front door when you take showers and other private times.

Always keep in mind, never trust a landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting