Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times

Advertisements

So, we recently moved out of our old house (the one where the electricity was broken and our landlord told us he couldn't fix it so we were given our 30 day notice).

Now, he's saying that he'll be back soon to check it out, and that if it isn't spotless, he'll charge us to hire a professional to clean it.

We would clean it and we did the best we could, but since we don't have ANY electricity we can't plug in a vacuum or steamcleaner or power washer or anything like that...

We did not pay a security deposit or anything like that, could he sue me (and win, I know that anyone can sue)? Especially considering we had no electricity for the last month we lived there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Sounds like a bad LL that gives us good LL's a bad name.

Just get some to witness that the electricity is broken and I don't think there is a thing he/she can do to you.

And just how is the electricity broken???

Old 04-10-2009, 01:57 PM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times
How did you live there for a month with no electricity, camp stove and cooler?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Sounds like a bad LL that gives us good LL's a bad name.

Just get some to witness that the electricity is broken and I don't think there is a thing he/she can do to you.

And just how is the electricity broken???

Yes, we have the electricians signed paper/quote/report.

The aluminum bussing behind the breaker box has been arcing for too long and has fried the connections, so the entire bussing/box needs to be replaced, and we got it quoted for $3500, and that's not counting the electrical wiring that needs to be replaced. The electrician said this was a huge fire risk since the breaker wasn't working properly and it could potentially cause an electrical fire.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
How did you live there for a month with no electricity, camp stove and cooler?

Basically. We had to bbq our food outside (and considering we had no refigerator/freezer/oven/microwave etc. it was a pain in the rear). I kept some food at my parents house, but we mostly went out to eat. We had no heat, no lights etc etc. It was realllly irritating and we ended up moving out 2 weeks earlier than we were supposed to because of that.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:48 PM

Oh, and there was some slight damage to the carpet and hardwood floors. Just normal scuffs/stains, but since we were given our 30 days we didn't have the opportunity to replace/fix any of it. This whole situation is just one giant headache.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I think he's just blowing hot air. To expect a tenant to clean a rental until it is "spotless" when you can't provide them with power is stupid.

You never know what is going to happen in court until you are there, so it is always possible he could win, but I would say it would be much more likely that a judge would find that he owes you instead.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Clean the best you can (sounds like you did) and let it go. A dustbuster or old fashioned push vacuum might help if you can borrow one.

Don't lose that paperwork from the electrician, just in case, and if you are worried, take a few photos of the interior condition you left it in (obviously during the day with windows open so you can see).

*edit* Oh, and any "professionals" he hired to clean it would require that power be available.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:13 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Sounds like he had you living in a slum.
He has to provide electricity or at least the means for you to pay for electricity. Otherwise, how is the dwelling habitable?

You had more leverage when you lived there...You could have called up your state renter's rights or something to get him to fix it.

Why pay rent on a place where you have to live out of a cooler and sit in the dark???

Old 04-10-2009, 09:41 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Basically. We had to bbq our food outside (and considering we had no refigerator/freezer/oven/microwave etc. it was a pain in the rear). I kept some food at my parents house, but we mostly went out to eat. We had no heat, no lights etc etc. It was realllly irritating and we ended up moving out 2 weeks earlier than we were supposed to because of that.
Well, it's too late for you, but if anyone else reads this, it's important to envoke your tenant rights immediately upon your place becoming uninhabitable. That means sending the owner a certified letter demanding repair, and following whatever process your state law provides as remedy in situations such as these.

By doing so, you establish a paper trail and a legal basis for vacating the property and terminating your lease.

To the OP, at this point, I'd contact your tenant council or tenant rights organization in your area and ask what rights you may have in your particular circumstance.

Steve

Old 04-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Well, it's too late for you, but if anyone else reads this, it's important to envoke your tenant rights immediately upon your place becoming uninhabitable. That means sending the owner a certified letter demanding repair, and following whatever process your state law provides as remedy in situations such as these.

By doing so, you establish a paper trail and a legal basis for vacating the property and terminating your lease.

To the OP, at this point, I'd contact your tenant council or tenant rights organization in your area and ask what rights you may have in your particular circumstance.

Steve
Unfortunately, he's in the army so he's been in Iraq for the past 2 years. We told him via email (and I kept all of them) and he basically told us we were SOL and that we had 30 days to move out. We are going to make a visit to our local 'free law' place and ask questions soon...We're already living in our new house (which is sooo much better than the old one) so I'm actually glad he told us to leave. It was a blessing in disguise I just don't want him suing me due to not cleaning good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting