Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:09 PM

911 posts, read 2,589,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
The people above me, who moved in about 6 mos ago, are awake at 5:00 AM, and they spend at least 2 hours every morning doing who knows what in the bedroom right over my head (NO - not THAT. They are walking around, banging & moving furniture, wheeling things around). It wakes me every morning many hours earlier than I plan to. I am sleep deprived. The problem is that the floors & ceilings here are thinner than paper. It is a large "luxury" complex, and the apartment management won't do anything about it. The lease requires all floors to be carpeted, and they have no carpet. The upstairs tenants told me they don't think they should be forced to spend money to carpet when they are "only renting." The LL said they can't force them to carpet, even though the lease requires it. If they'd carpet, it would muffle the sound & help a lot.
I have also requested that we go to a community mediation program, but they refused that as well.
Now that I;ve complained, however, not only won't they stop this behavior, but they are complaining about me. This past saturday, at 10:30 PM, wife & I laughed at a movie we were watching. The laugh lasted no more than 5 seconds, and they immediately started jumping up & down & screaming at us to shut up. They go to sleep around 10:00.

So since they won't stop waking me, and LL won't help, I have to take the situation into my own hands. Unfortunately, being under them they have the upper hand. They can bang & pounce & whatever. All I can think of that I can do is to play TV or music loud. I don't like playing games like that though. I also can't stand a loud TV. Other than moving though, I'm not sure what I can do. Of course I'll be moving, but my lease doesn't expire for a few months ( and it would also take me a couple of months to find a proper place - Ive been looking since FEb to no avail - not a lot of rental units around here)
Any tried & successful suggestions?

im having a VERY similar problem with my upstairs neighbors. im the youngest person in the complex and these people are in their 40's and act so stupid. they must have a ****ty old couch or something because every time someone lays down or gets up i just hear ridiculous noise. also at random times i hear what sounds like a hippo hitting its knees all hours of the day. then i hear them walking. now i told the landlord about it and he all but looked at me like i was lying when i mentioned the noise AND drilling AND hammering upstairs. so my lease is up in december and im outta here, or i'll just make the landlord sweat by not signing another lease.

i wish u all the best,man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 22,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Since their noise is common living noise, there's not much you can do. It's part of the deal of living in multifamily housing-you're going to hear your neighbors. I know you say it sounds like they're moving furniture, but they're most likely not. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that as a property manager, but it's just the way noise travels sometimes. I know it's inconvenient to you that they wake up at 5 am, but that's their life and if they need to wake up that early, then they are allowed to. As long as they're not violating noise ordinances with music, television, etc., they're within the law and their rights.
I know it stinks and I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's really not out of the ordinary to hear these kinds of things. If you're that sensitive to noise, then your best bet is to find a single family home to rent. Good luck.
Actually, many cities and towns have 24 hour noise ordinances that DO cover "common living noise" made during late night/early morning hours, other than loud televisions and the like. No one has an excuse or right to wake neighbors so that he - conveniently for him - can vacuum, hang pictures, or rearrange the furniture at 2 am. And foot stomping, a common complaint, CAN be modified by any conscious adult, unless his or her brains are in his or her feet. We ALL have to make concessions out of consideration for others. It's called being civilized. People who yammer about their "right" to live the way they want to when they want to - even at 3 am - because they "pay rent" or whatever, might give it a try.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:44 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,926,680 times
I have always hated apt living. For 6 yrs i had the upstairs neighbor from hell & his floor was carpeted.
Even my next door neighbors were loud.

Never again will i live in a apt.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,861,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth52 View Post
Actually, many cities and towns have 24 hour noise ordinances that DO cover "common living noise" made during late night/early morning hours, other than loud televisions and the like. No one has an excuse or right to wake neighbors so that he - conveniently for him - can vacuum, hang pictures, or rearrange the furniture at 2 am. And foot stomping, a common complaint, CAN be modified by any conscious adult, unless his or her brains are in his or her feet. We ALL have to make concessions out of consideration for others. It's called being civilized. People who yammer about their "right" to live the way they want to when they want to - even at 3 am - because they "pay rent" or whatever, might give it a try.

City ordinances do not cover common living noise. These ordinances are enforced by the police dept and they won't come out for a complaint of vaccuming at 2am. They will tell you to take that up with your landlord. If you're neighbors are fighting or they are having a loud party then the police will get involved and your neighbors may be fined for their noises.

Any common living noises should be taken up with your landlord.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,790,136 times
It is hard living in apartment or condo. So much of the experience depends on the neighbor. I will not live on a lower though. Even when people walk normally it is loud or if they drop something by accident.
I had a neighbor onetime though that blared his music. I went down and spoke to him and he had no clue it was so loud. I got lucky though he was nice that is not always the case

Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,460 times
Default Most upstairs neighbors are a******

It's seldom useful to ask your upstairs neighbors to tread lightly. If they talk to you at all, they'll deny doing anything to make any noise. In most cases they'll get offended that you even approached them about the noise and retaliate.

Apartment living sucks.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 7,405 times
Default I am waging war after repeated attempts

I have asked several times nicely and have even had in depth and very nice discussions with my neighbors above me with the noise that they make. Not threatening in any way but nicely letting them know that it was very loud with all of the stomping, running, ball bouncing, and falling on the floor activities. They have a 6 year old son and I understand how kids are. We have two of the same age and make sure that they too walk with "pillow" feet in our apartment so our neighbors below don't feel uncomfortable. The problem is our neighbors above us just don't care. Night and day and even at 6 AM on Saturday, the constant banging continues. It is driving me nuts. I am going to retaliate from here on out with my Twin 12" subwoofer shaking the the stuff off their wall at brief moments during the evening so even if they do complain, they won't be able to prove it. I am also taping a pair of shoes to the end of two broom sticks, putting plastic bags around the shoes and then walking across the ceiling just how they to us. I am now staying up till 2AM in the morning to make sure they here the stomping noises in their bedrooms. I will do this until they get the point. And yes, it does work. I want to invent something that you can hang from the ceilings, be able to pull it and let it bounce on the ceiling without falling to the floor.

The sad part about all this is I tried to be civilized, but these asses asked for it and now and I going to give them hell till they stop.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:52 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,057,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_A_Trap View Post
I have asked several times nicely and have even had in depth and very nice discussions with my neighbors above me with the noise that they make. Not threatening in any way but nicely letting them know that it was very loud with all of the stomping, running, ball bouncing, and falling on the floor activities. They have a 6 year old son and I understand how kids are. We have two of the same age and make sure that they too walk with "pillow" feet in our apartment so our neighbors below don't feel uncomfortable. The problem is our neighbors above us just don't care. Night and day and even at 6 AM on Saturday, the constant banging continues. It is driving me nuts. I am going to retaliate from here on out with my Twin 12" subwoofer shaking the the stuff off their wall at brief moments during the evening so even if they do complain, they won't be able to prove it. I am also taping a pair of shoes to the end of two broom sticks, putting plastic bags around the shoes and then walking across the ceiling just how they to us. I am now staying up till 2AM in the morning to make sure they here the stomping noises in their bedrooms. I will do this until they get the point. And yes, it does work. I want to invent something that you can hang from the ceilings, be able to pull it and let it bounce on the ceiling without falling to the floor.

The sad part about all this is I tried to be civilized, but these asses asked for it and now and I going to give them hell till they stop.
welcome to my world---am retired so i nap during the day so i could also ruin their evenings like they have ruined my ability to sleep during the nite----i also have started singing loudly in spanish(a culture they hate)along with lively salsa music

Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 AM

3 posts, read 14,242 times
Babytarheelz... You make it sound like the downstairs resident has no rights and should just deal with it. I intend to make as much noise as they do and triple it when they sleep. Immature? Maybe, but there's is no other way around it. In my case my male neighbor just married this "linebacker". Stomps relentlessly. I paid $400 to have insulation added into the ceiling and nothing works. I blast music, slam doors and will take any other advice anyone else has. I have no toleration for people who are inconsiderate.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-13-2011 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Name Calling

Old 08-13-2011, 11:14 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,926,680 times
I did once ask a upstairs neighbor to lower the noise but it got worse. Some people think they rule the nest. Like i said before....NO more apt living for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting