Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 10:26 AM

4 posts, read 45,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Make sure your exterior is in ti-top shape. Also the interior, then you will go into abatement. Good luck.
you were abated like the other person for not fixing what section 8 told you to repair so don't make section 8 look bad because you did not do your part as the owner!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 12:19 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,744,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micca3 View Post
Thats racist to stereotype people on section 8 thats why the property owner is supposed to carefully select tenants and get references apparently the owner just cared about rent being paid i bet you wish you had section 8
It's not racist. Unless of course you're implying that only certain minority races receive Section 8?

At the very worst, it's classist, which isn't against the law, otherwise EVERY landlord would be REQUIRED to accept section 8.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,460,800 times
Quote:
that is false!!!!, you did not fix a problem thats why you got abated and your blaming it on the tenant
I have NEVER had rent abated... ever. I have housing inspectors call on behalf of families that have problem Landlords and want out and ask me if I know of available units.

I have had rent threatened to be abated because the tenants child was frying fish and had a grease fire on the stove the tenant owned... really had nothing to do with me... but the new Housing Inspector gave me 72 hours to get THE TENANTS stove working or replaced

Section 8 previously would guarantee up to 2 months rent for unpaid tenant caused damages. The Section 8 family would would only pay a small security deposit...often less than $250.

The new system requires the tenant to be fully responsible for the security deposit... a bit unrealistic for a family that is having to watch every penny and at the same time pay movers, utility deposits and rent...

Old 04-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The new system requires the tenant to be fully responsible for the security deposit... a bit unrealistic for a family that is having to watch every penny and at the same time pay movers, utility deposits and rent...
To say nothing of being completely unrealistic for someone who can't even pay their own rent to start with.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,557,881 times
Quote:
Thats racist to stereotype people on section 8 thats why the property owner is supposed to carefully select tenants and get references apparently the owner just cared about rent being paid i bet you wish you had section 8

How is that racist?? I don't believe race was mentioned at all in that post... I've said it before on this forum but I won't rent in a neighborhood that even offers Section 8. I don't think anyone wishes they had section 8 because that means they are on government welfare and most people have too much pride to be on any type of welfare unless absolutely necessary.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 PM

242 posts, read 786,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
If you decide to go Section 8, be prepared to have your property destroyed.
That is a dumb comment, all section 8 tenants do not destroy property. My brother doesnt rent to section 8 and he still has had to evict people for no or late payments or destruction of property. If you have a low end apartment someone with the abillity to pay market rent is going to want a good apartment whereas a section 8 tenant has limited places to live because everybody does not take section 8. So at least the apartment can get rented. One of my classmates who has section 8 just moved because her landlord didnt want to keep up the property and section 8 would not pass it. SOME of these landlords do not want to keep their properties up and with section 8 doing yearly inspections they are forced to keep them up.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
That is a dumb comment, all section 8 tenants do not destroy property. .
I didn't say that ALL section 8 tenants will trash their rentals. I said be prepared to have your property damaged. It's far more likely when renting to section 8 than when the person in the rental is paying their own way and not getting a freebie.

It's a fact of life that people generally do not respect that which they get cheaply, or free, and that far more value is placed on something for which one has to pay. I wouldn't rent to section 8 for anything.

And before you go calling my opinions a misconception -- I was in property management for several years, with a firm that managed over 12,000 rental units, and the section 8 properties were far more work and PITA than the others. They were also far more likely to have major damage upon move-out.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,150,285 times
Quote:
I'm not being racist. I am of mixed RACE myself.

And no I do not wish that I was on section 8 because i have worked my tail off to get to where I am today. I went to night school for YEARS with 2 children to raise to get my degrees. I pay my taxes just like everyone else. I just despise people who wish to do nothing their entire life but get what they can out of the system when most are perfectly capable human beings.

I never said ALL people on section 8 were "bad". I'm going on my experience and my opinions. I think you were a little out of line with your comments!

Last edited by Leilani Vasquez; 04-20-2009 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 12:26 PM

124 posts, read 376,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
If you decide to go Section 8, be prepared to have your property destroyed.
I am a landlord of a section 8 tenant and I do not have problem like Zugzub mentioned. My overall experience with section 8 is good.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,543 times
VgFrom Mopri: I agree with Micca l, hey the government would never allow all that to happen.
These section8 tenants are screened for misdemenor and felony convictions plus they are very
strict wen it comes to them reporting changes. The Section8 program is a great one there are variouus
families need it; I think some of you with skeptisism shouuld re think,but not all are bad and if all
If all that crime, garbage throwing, music blarring was really a problem they would of all lost their vouchers
Instantaniouly, .if Section8 tenants get complaints I will be followed up by the Section8 coorprate office
They will issue the tenant a 30day notice follwed up by a hearing for tenant. The Government insures that all
Rules are enforced believe me. I don't think these tenants want to become homless esspecially in these hard times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting