Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 02:50 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
One common way to abuse it is to game the system by underearning. I had a co-worker who worked TWO shifts a week and lived in subsidized housing. There was a local newspaper article about 10 years ago, featuring a guy similarly situated, who kept his work hours low enough to keep his housing subsidiy.
There ought to be a time limit for abled bodied, non-elderly adults.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:30 PM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Moving out of a sucky place requires either having al alternative place to move INTO (which requires both adequate supply and adequate cash) or a willingness to be homeless. I'm unwilling to give up a sucky room for the worse alternative of homelessness, and with a local vacancy rate at or below 3%, supply is lacking.

Who cares if you look at my social media. My online friends are my old college friends who have real jobs, real incomes, and who own real homes. I choose my social media friends, I don't choose my housemates.
land lords look at the whole picture now i am not trying to be snarky or mean to you if you can get a place that is better do so and keep getting better ones then when you are ready for a apt or a 2 bed room share with 1 or 2 people other than you. yup can do so.
every thing you whine about, and that you put up with cause the rent is right, will hold you back. this is not an attack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
I don't understand why elderly section 8 are desirable based on your perceptions of younger section 8 tenants.
Aren't elderly poor people just older versions of the people you are calling scum? If they worked 500 hours a week like you suggest, then they wouldn't be on section 8 in old age.
I understand that old people aren't likely to be drama and other things but it is kind of hypocritical.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:19 AM

584 posts, read 1,936,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I don't understand why elderly section 8 are desirable based on your perceptions of younger section 8 tenants.
Aren't elderly poor people just older versions of the people you are calling scum? If they worked 500 hours a week like you suggest, then they wouldn't be on section 8 in old age.
I understand that old people aren't likely to be drama and other things but it is kind of hypocritical.
one over the other is not bad goodones are about the same. on sec 8 you only hear about the bad ones like the college kids next door . no one ever sing songs of praise on the good ones. but you her about the bad ones in stories of old

Old 04-10-2017, 06:51 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Many of the elderly are good citizens who most likely did not earn a lot in their working years. I know plenty like this. Men and women who worked honest jobs all their lives but were relatively low earners without a lot to save.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:25 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Many of the elderly are good citizens who most likely did not earn a lot in their working years. I know plenty like this. Men and women who worked honest jobs all their lives but were relatively low earners without a lot to save.
I totally understand but the point is that if you had met these people in their 20s-30s, most of the posters on here would be like "get 3 jobs and work 500 hours a week and go back to school...
So it's possible to be a decent, working age person and still need section 8 bc if you are ok with the older people, you have to realize that they were once younger people. Decent people are usually decent their whole lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting