Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 10:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Why are you living there?

Because I live in an area with a huge housing shortage, low (about 3%) vacancy rate, high rents, widespread overcrowding, and tents and homeless camps all over.

Most people who are overcrowded would move if they could afford to do so. An unfortunate feature of renting is that there are usually upfront costs (e.g. first-last-deposit) which create financial barriers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:08 PM

902 posts, read 863,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The heck with that. I currently live in a zoo - an overcrowded, small 3BR / 1BA house with 11 occupants, including a baby, and eight people who don't work. How is their presence my fault?
And now you know why folks do not want to rent to section 8. If it's still not clear to you why many landlords don't want to rent to section 8, fear not. Any landlord with a pulse who has read your post will not rent to section 8.

Realize that it's not about your untenable living situation. It's about the abdication of personal responsibility. You have 30,000 posts in the last 6 years. If you focused your attention on more profitable pursuits, perhaps you wouldn't have to live with 10 other people in a 3/1 home.

Landlords work hard. How much empathy do you think they have for folks unwilling to work hard? Hint: none.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:37 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
The heck with that. I currently live in a zoo - an overcrowded, small 3BR / 1BA house with 11 occupants, including a baby, and eight people who don't work. How is their presence my fault?

Eleven occupants, 1 bathroom? I can't even imagine that.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 PM

749 posts, read 735,075 times
Quote:
Because I live in an area with a huge housing shortage, low (about 3%) vacancy rate, high rents, widespread overcrowding, and tents and homeless camps all over.

Most people who are overcrowded would move if they could afford to do so. An unfortunate feature of renting is that there are usually upfront costs (e.g. first-last-deposit) which create financial barriers.
Ya know, that's the weird thing about owning too. Except the upfront costs aren't thousands of dollars, but tens of thousands of dollars.

Get a second job and start saving your money.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
And now you know why folks do not want to rent to section 8. If it's still not clear to you why many landlords don't want to rent to section 8, fear not. Any landlord with a pulse who has read your post will not rent to section 8.

Realize that it's not about your untenable living situation. It's about the abdication of personal responsibility. You have 30,000 posts in the last 6 years. If you focused your attention on more profitable pursuits, perhaps you wouldn't have to live with 10 other people in a 3/1 home.

Landlords work hard. How much empathy do you think they have for folks unwilling to work hard? Hint: none.

??? ??? ??? ??? If I had a Section 8 voucher, why would landlords not want to rent to me? Did the voucher toxify me? Be specific.

Landlords work hard? I have never SEEN my current landlord, how does he work hard? The only heat in this house is the kitchen stove. That's working hard?

Old 04-05-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Ya know, that's the weird thing about owning too. Except the upfront costs aren't thousands of dollars, but tens of thousands of dollars.

Get a second job and start saving your money.

Weekday daytime medical appointments and transportation constraints interfere with scheduling for a second job. If I could work from home I'd be able to work 60 hours a week.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:45 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? If I had a Section 8 voucher, why would landlords not want to rent to me? Did the voucher toxify me? Be specific.
Since YOU asked:

people on Section 8 have demonstrated that as a human, they have no social redeeming value left for society, but since we can't euthanize them, we are forced to waste money on the dreads of society with Section 8 vouchers (disabled excluded). I rent to humans, not welfare garbage, so section 8 are just toxic waste in my book and that is why (with rare exception for the disabled), we make absolutely sure section 8 ghetto dwellers will never set foot on our property that are for the hard working contributing members of society.

Of course, that's just my feeling, since you asked.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Since YOU asked:

people on Section 8 have demonstrated that as a human, they have no social redeeming value left for society, but since we can't euthanize them, we are forced to waste money on the dreads of society with Section 8 vouchers (disabled excluded). I rent to humans, not welfare garbage, so section 8 are just toxic waste in my book and that is why (with rare exception for the disabled), we make absolutely sure section 8 ghetto dwellers will never set foot on our property that are for the hard working contributing members of society.

Of course, that's just my feeling, since you asked.

I'm income-eligible for a Section 8 voucher; I just have not 'won' the lottery for a spot on the waiting list. If I were to procure a voucher, what about me would change in the perception of a prospective landlord?

Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 AM

902 posts, read 863,454 times
Quote:
Weekday daytime medical appointments and transportation constraints interfere with scheduling for a second job. If I could work from home I'd be able to work 60 hours a week.
60 hours a week? Do you think that's a lot? When I was getting started in my business, I worked from the minute I woke up until I fell asleep on my books that night seven days a week. That's approximately 112 hours a week.

I put the hard work in and now I only work about 12 days a month at that job. Since I have so many days off (wait for it...), I started a second business (rental properties). It's not very lucrative right now as I have a lot to learn and the profit I am making is very low for the amount of time I'm putting into it. Right now I'm going to be working for the next two months rehabbing a distressed property. I figure it will take 150 hours of work to remodel this house. I won't get paid one red cent for any of those hours. In fact, it will be costing me money every day since I have to pay taxes and insurance. That doesn't include the untold amount of hours it took for me to learn plumbing, electrical, tilework, flooring, carpentry, etc.

So now that you have an idea of how hard one landlord has worked to be where he is at today, you sure you still want to work that hard?

It's about working hard and working smart. You are doing neither.

Last edited by Campfires; 04-06-2017 at 06:11 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 06:26 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Seems to me we are getting a little off topic here and lambasting one particular poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting