Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 PM

111 posts, read 144,119 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I rented an apartment in Asheville NC. I moved out and the landlord kept my security deposit. I tried to sue him in North Carolina however I was told that I would have to go to Florida to sue him as that is where he resides. My question is can I sue him in Daytona where my mom lives or do I have to go to Winter Park to sue him. He is a famous baseball player and manager of a baseball team. I am afraid that if I have to go to Winter Park the court system will favor him and it will be a big waste of time and money. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:43 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Did you go to a hearing and a magistrate or judge told you they did not have jurisdiction or did a clerk tell you this?
Did you make a timely claim for your deposit or went to sue after the time to make a claim had passed?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:07 PM

[quote=Mike1306;31916789]Did you go to a hearing and a magistrate or judge told you they did not have jurisdiction or did a clerk tell you this?
Did you make a timely claim for your deposit or went to sue after the time to make a claim had passed?

Hey Mike thanks for the response. I went to the court house in NC and they told me that I would have to go to Florida. I am in Daytona now caring for my ill mom.
This happened in July so I believe that my claim is still valid.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:08 PM

Do you know if the courts in Florida are on the level?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:11 PM

166 posts, read 381,419 times
I don't know if you're going to find that many users on this site who have enough of a legal background to be able to give you reliable advice. If you don't want to consult your own attorney, you could try posting your question on the legal website AVVO.com. AVVO has a forum where people can ask legal questions for free and only licensed lawyers can respond. Good luck.

P.S. - I am not associated with that site.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
I don't know if you're going to find that many users on this site who have enough of a legal background to be able to give you reliable advice. If you don't want to consult your own attorney, you could try posting your question on the legal website AVVO.com. AVVO has a forum where people can ask legal questions for free and only licensed lawyers can respond. Good luck.

P.S. - I am not associated with that site.
Thanks Consigliere!

Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,716,760 times
You will likely do better in renting in the RE list. There is at least one NC broker who knows NC law pretty well.

Nolo says...

Out-of-state defendants. If you don't live -- or do business -- in a state where you are sued, a court normally doesn't have power ("jurisdiction," in legalese) to enter a valid judgment against you, unless court papers are served on you while you happen to be in that state. (Exceptions exist for people who live out of state but own land in the state where the lawsuit was filed or got into a traffic accident in that state.) If you are an out-of-state resident and receive small claims papers via the mail, promptly write a letter to the court explaining that you do not believe you are subject to the court's jurisdiction. Stay in touch with the court clerk until you are sure the case has been dismissed.

I would think the thing has to go down in NC. Clerks are often wrong but I do not believe a landowner can ever avoid jurisdiction...dYou might check for an NC legal aid or such that will give quick answers.

If you go in FL the guy is going to turn around and claim it is an NC case.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 PM

156 posts, read 218,859 times
off topic a little, did the landlord list what he/she charged you with. I rented before and they charged me 50 bucks to wipe the fridge. I cleaned it out and wiped it but it was not to their expectation. Hate that. This was at one of the apartments where I used to love, not in FL.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:54 PM

His wife came to take possession of the apartment on the day that I moved. She went back to him and told him that I disrespected her. I treated her with the utmost respect. She claimed that I did not trim shrubbery in front of condo. I was not responsible for the shrubbery. It was not mentioned in the lease, nor was it mentioned to me by the owner or the agent. I think that he was more pd off at me for his wifes false claims of disrespect. This guy is worth millions and he cheats me out of 900 dollars!

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM

912 posts, read 5,236,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Supernatural View Post
His wife came to take possession of the apartment on the day that I moved. She went back to him and told him that I disrespected her. I treated her with the utmost respect. She claimed that I did not trim shrubbery in front of condo. I was not responsible for the shrubbery. It was not mentioned in the lease, nor was it mentioned to me by the owner or the agent. I think that he was more pd off at me for his wifes false claims of disrespect. This guy is worth millions and he cheats me out of 900 dollars!
Surely you have received an itemized list of charges against your security deposit.

What did they charge you for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: