Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:35 PM

914 posts, read 4,445,518 times

Advertisements

Having moved all over the country with my cat, I have found there are definitely regional norms that are very different from region to region, so I think it is a valid question to ask. (For others' future reference, as this is probably no longer valid for the OP right now. I would have said $800 is several hundred higher than typical for Oregon.) For instance, in Seattle $500-1000 would be totally normal to me. Portland, OR, ballpark $300-$600 would be reasonable. In Indiana (Montana, too, and probably even where I lived in Vermont), I would question more than $300 or $400. It also has a lot to do with how "normal" pets are in the area's culture. I've lived in places where there wasn't an ice cube's chance in hell that you could find a decent apartment where dogs were allowed. Where I live now, allowing small dogs is totally the norm.

I know that pets can easily cause thousands of dollars in damage, but there are definitely regional "norms", and as a renter, I would certainly want to know if I'm being charged more than other people in the area, so I would definitely advocate asking around if it seems high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
ZERO it is a absolute freaking scam in my opinion and yes I am a landlord. We are actually both a landlord and renter..since we are military and own a house. I absolutely refuse to rent from someone who requires a non refundable pet fee. I will make this perfectly clear on my first call to a landlord or agency and most of the time I find they will retract the non refundable part very quickly. It is ridiculous and basically says yes your pet will make a mess or ruin my house. I do require a pet deposit in the houses we rent, but if upon inspection everything is fine and there is no pet damage we return the deposit.
Also it needs to clearly state in your contract it for pet damage only and can not be withheld for ANY other purpose.

Old 01-12-2011, 04:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
ZERO it is a absolute freaking scam in my opinion and yes I am a landlord. We are actually both a landlord and renter..since we are military and own a house. I absolutely refuse to rent from someone who requires a non refundable pet fee. I will make this perfectly clear on my first call to a landlord or agency and most of the time I find they will retract the non refundable part very quickly. It is ridiculous and basically says yes your pet will make a mess or ruin my house. I do require a pet deposit in the houses we rent, but if upon inspection everything is fine and there is no pet damage we return the deposit.
Also it needs to clearly state in your contract it for pet damage only and can not be withheld for ANY other purpose.

just curious...how's that working for ya?

I mean we all know that at some point or another your pet is going to pee, poop or puke on the floor. And that damage is not always easily seen by the naked eye. Carpet, tile and wood floors can be and are damaged by said bodily functions and may not detected until the smell is out of control or you change the floor covering.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 AM

804 posts, read 2,892,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
just curious...how's that working for ya?

I mean we all know that at some point or another your pet is going to pee, poop or puke on the floor. And that damage is not always easily seen by the naked eye. Carpet, tile and wood floors can be and are damaged by said bodily functions and may not detected until the smell is out of control or you change the floor covering.
It is working just fine. We have never paid any nonrefundable fee. The house we rented last wanted $500 non refundable. When I told them that is unreasonable and it will be refunable or we will walk they changed it to refundable.

The attitude of "we all know..." is exactly the problem. Our cat has never once not used her litter box. Our dogs are well trained and cleaner than most kids. I would say more damage happens to the floor from our kids. But we purchased our own really good steam cleaner and if a spill occurs are on top of cleaning it right away.
I believe we are the exception and not the rule when it comes to renting. We always leave the house better than it was when we came.

The funniest nonrefundable was $800 non refundable pet fee and when I conftonted the owner about it he said it was so he could get the carpets cleaned after we move out. The only carpeted area in the house was one hallway that was about 8 feet long. Everything else was hardwood or tile floor. The owner did not like it when I reminded him of this and then decided he would waive the fee altogether.

What I am saying is renters need to be smart about what fees you are paying. A lot of landlords simply charge the fee because it is the Norm for their area. Don't be afraid to confront the landlord about suspicious fees and if it sounds fishy just walk away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting