Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:08 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times

Advertisements

I've never heard of a LL who wouldn't provide a receipt for cash
unless theirs a shady deal going on.

If she filed an eviction and its been over a month, better find another
place to go before the lockout comes.

The LL will go to small claims court to recover her rental fees and
do a wage attachment after the judgement.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaxum36 View Post
a couple a months ago i sent my landlord a certified letter threatening to withold a percentage of the rent due the living conditions and another tenant who was harassing me and not abiding by the terms of the lease. I have been paying the rent in cash, but she hasn't been providing receipts and in the letter i requested that she provide a receipt. She refused to provide a receipt, i gave her a money order, she gave it back. She also said she didn't want checks.
Quote:

The day after i sent that letter, an eviction letter was slipped under my door requesting that i move out within two weeks or less. To me, that was the end of the contract. Although she didn't give me the required 30 day notice, she started the eviction process and i no longer felt obligated to pay her rent. I've been living there for months and she hasn't demanded rent from me. Yet, she was using tactics to illegally evict me. Now she has a non-payment petition against me. IS A TENANT OBLIGATED TO PAY RENT AFTER RECEIVING AN EVICTION LETTER?

Last edited by virgode; 09-13-2009 at 09:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,095 times
>>>I have been paying the rent in cash,

Hello? The OP was paying rent. Quite a bit of rush to judgement here.

Any legitimate landlord should provide a rent receipt. Or the renter could create a receipt and demand a signature before forking over the cash.
That the landlord wants to keep it all under the table plus is remiss in repairs, etc., is reason enough to be reported, imo.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:37 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
you cant withold rent because you dont like living conditions, you have to go to housing court and they have to okay that and set up an ecrow account..

Old 09-23-2009, 04:34 AM

278 posts, read 1,520,077 times
mathjak107 is correct. Pay your rent in escrow and take it up in court or move out. The landlord can evict you for non-payment and put this on your credit report. Many landlords will not rent to you once they see this.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM

328 posts, read 886,277 times
Quote:
a couple a months ago i sent my landlord a certified letter threatening to withold a percentage of the rent due the living conditions and another tenant who was harassing me and not abiding by the terms of the lease. I have been paying the rent in cash, but she hasn't been providing receipts and in the letter i requested that she provide a receipt. She refused to provide a receipt, i gave her a money order, she gave it back. She also said she didn't want checks.

The day after i sent that letter, an eviction letter was slipped under my door requesting that i move out within two weeks or less. To me, that was the end of the contract. Although she didn't give me the required 30 day notice, she started the eviction process and i no longer felt obligated to pay her rent. I've been living there for months and she hasn't demanded rent from me. Yet, she was using tactics to illegally evict me. Now she has a non-payment petition against me. IS A TENANT OBLIGATED TO PAY RENT AFTER RECEIVING AN EVICTION LETTER?
I do not understand people like you. Do you work for free?

Old 03-04-2011, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,463 times
My landlord, took me to court because i was 2 months behind, but also he didn't want to fix the mold problems i had in 1 of the rooms + the bathroom had a licking from the 2 fl. i ask him to fix the problem he ignore me, so also we didn't get heat until November 18,2010, when by the law is Oct.15. so i went to court and pay all the money, the judge say that i have to go back in March 11 and bring money to pay for the month of March, and this past Monday i receive a letter from my landlord saying that i have until March 31 to move out of he's property. What ca i do, shout i submit a case against him?

Old 03-05-2011, 06:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybnsyssgr View Post
My landlord, took me to court because i was 2 months behind, but also he didn't want to fix the mold problems i had in 1 of the rooms + the bathroom had a licking from the 2 fl. i ask him to fix the problem he ignore me, so also we didn't get heat until November 18,2010, when by the law is Oct.15. so i went to court and pay all the money, the judge say that i have to go back in March 11 and bring money to pay for the month of March, and this past Monday i receive a letter from my landlord saying that i have until March 31 to move out of he's property. What ca i do, shout i submit a case against him?
Did you make any complaints in writing to the landlord about the mold and the lack of heat when the problems first arose? Did you file a counterclaim when you were in court? A judgement was made against you and the landlord has given you 30 days notice so there's not much you can do at this stage of the game except pay what the court has ordered you to pay and move out.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:

Really??? The end of the contract is when you no longer have a roof over your head. She probably hasn't demanded back rent from you because she knows the court will make you pay up. There's no law in the land that allows you to live under someone else's roof for free. Start saving!

Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
I've been living there for months and she hasn't demanded rent from me.
If she accepts rent from you, then that puts the landlord in a tough position as far as the lease/contract is concerned. She has stopped accepting rent from you, because she wants you OUT A.S.A.P. You ARE being evicted.

It seems that you have been squatting this property for months now, and I"m surprised you haven't been kicked to the curb already.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Really??? The end of the contract is when you no longer have a roof over your head. She probably hasn't demanded back rent from you because she knows the court will make you pay up. There's no law in the land that allows you to live under someone else's roof for free. Start saving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
If she accepts rent from you, then that puts the landlord in a tough position as far as the lease/contract is concerned. She has stopped accepting rent from you, because she wants you OUT A.S.A.P. You ARE being evicted.

It seems that you have been squatting this property for months now, and I"m surprised you haven't been kicked to the curb already.
Maybe you didn't notice but the thread you're responding to dates back to 2009. A new poster revived it with a different question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting