Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:35 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

that can happen(at least under ny city rent regulation laws) is when a tenant makes a formal complaint for a reduction in services or repairs with the housing governing board; if the problem isn't repaired or services are not restored, the governing board moves to make the landlord reduce the rent until the repairs are made or service is restored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 05:04 PM

93 posts, read 646,066 times
Not all landlords are landlords because they want to milk every penny out of their tenants that they can. Especially if you have been a good tenant, many would be willing to lower their rent slightly. And many won't. But it never hurts to ask, especially if you have a legitimate need and can no longer afford the rent payment. There are lots of understanding people out there that watch the news and read the papers, and know people are struggling.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:29 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
We recently had a tenant on a month-to-month agreement. She came across some difficult times, but she did pay (late, and sometimes a very small portion of the rent rolled over to the next month). She was a good tenant, so we put her on a 6 mo. lease and lowered her rent $100.00. In these times, $100 less is better than having a vacant unit for 3 months. It's a wise financial decision.
It is nice to see a landlord think this way. I have rental properties as well and this is such common sense but no one thinks about this.

When I rented a property in NY, I was paying $1700 a month and then the landlord said he wanted to sell it. He offered it to me and I passed so he kicked us out and listed the property. What happened? Sat on the market for a year because he overpriced it $50K and then he tried to re-rent the unit. What a moron!

Then had a house I was renting for $2000 a month. Was there for over 2 years. I told the landlord that my girlfriend was moving out so I would have to move out as $2000 would be stretching me monthly but I was only going to be in the area for a few more months. I moved out and then he put it on the market for rent. To this day, it is still for rent, 6 MONTHS later! If he was smart, he would have offered me a discounted rate for the few extra months so that he could keep the income coming in and then have a beautiful place to rent for the Spring. Some people never learn.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 6,098,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I just thought a landlord would laugh in your face when asked can they lower the rent
Depends on the landlord. As you can tell from my above post, some will do it and some won't. Most won't in all honesty though. I would not rule it out though. What is the worst that can happen if you ask? They say no. Oh well, then you choose what you want to do.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:38 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I recently raised all my rental fees....The demand is high and all the rentals in the communities I own homes are in the best locations and have hardly any empty homes or homes available. I rented them all within a week or 2. For one I had the tenant sign a 2 year agreement on their own request, but i heard in the future you can only work with 1 year lease agreements in Florida....which doesn't matter to me. I always had 1 year agreements.

It all depends on location and how much is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting