Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should apartment maintenance workers have keys to your apartment and be allowed to enter at any time
Yes 4 10.26%
No 34 87.18%
Don't Know 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:46 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times

Advertisements

Again, as everyone is stating, notice is required...however....submitting a maintenance request implies consent and the notice period is waived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 03:02 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Most of the time entry is written into the lease. Generally it states that they have the right to enter under emergency situations or when a repair in in progress. Most people assume that common sense would dictate some kind of notification, but then you also assume that the people you are renting from are of good moral character. Wrong!!! There are many perverted landlords and maintenance people who would like nothing more than to open your door and find your wife or daughter walking out of the shower. They also might like to peek into your medicine cabinet and see what medications you are taking. Who knows, maybe you won't miss a few of those pain meds. Or maybe you leave your computer on and don't have it passworded.
I suggest passwording your computer so it is necessary to enter a password from the screen saver. Or turn it off when leaving.
I suggest you keep your private papers and private meds locked up, i.e, fire safe, or locking file cabinet.
Just remember, the landlord has the right to sneak and peek, (they call it something else), it's up to you to take steps to guard your privacy.

Last edited by donsabi; 05-15-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 04:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Again, as everyone is stating, notice is required...however....submitting a maintenance request implies consent and the notice period is waived.
exactly - you can't order work and then be upset when they show up

even in restrictive states this is pretty much acceptable

Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,594 times
Our maintenance men came in while me and my four month old daughter were sick and sleeping on the couch...I guess I didn't hear him knocking and he entered the apartment and I awoke to him yelling at me to wake up...is this appropriate conduct for rentals...just seems like an ivasion of privacy...shouldn't they just leave a note when they see I'm sleeping instead of disturbing me and my family...isn't there some sort of privacy law against this?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,350,110 times
No notice in my building other than the knock on the door. I hardly expect my landlord to call me whenever they need to come in. I think that is ridiculous, especially if there are many apts.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:48 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Check what your state laws require, some are very strict about notice being required before entering.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:48 PM

109 posts, read 166,318 times
My apartment lease implicitly states that they will not enter the apartment unless they are given permission to do so or in the event of an emergency. Also, when submitting maintenance requests online, the question is asked whether notice is required before entry. I don't think that just because an apartment isn't owned that the property mgmt shouldn't respect your privacy - you are paying to stay in an apartment, it's not like they are doing you a favor. Whether you put in a notice or not, there's no excuse IMO to not give a courtesy call or something to that effect, prior to entry as you never know what schedule people are on. As the OP stated, some people work during the day, some do not. It seems to me that some apartments really just need to make the investment and get with the times to become more efficient and organized.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:53 PM

109 posts, read 166,318 times
...And for those of you who still think it shouldn't matter who enters your apartment just because they "work there", perhaps this will prove to be a sobering article: Law.com: $13.4M Awarded in Georgia Apartment Slaying

Old 01-09-2011, 06:05 PM

10,032 posts, read 9,509,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
No notice in my building other than the knock on the door. I hardly expect my landlord to call me whenever they need to come in. I think that is ridiculous, especially if there are many apts.
What? So you don't mind allowing the landlord to come in without prior notice? This type of view is certainly in the minority but if you give him permission to do so, that is your right. Actually under virginia law, as I suspect in most states, the landlord must give prior notice before entering your premises or in the case of an emergency.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:44 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Contrary to what your apartment complex may think, putting that close in their rental contracts doesn't mean they don't have to comply with the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting