Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:08 PM

70 posts, read 281,167 times

Advertisements

Just wondering when you are looking to rental a apartment, condo, house, etc. where do you look to find a place? Newspaper ads, craigslist, specific website, friends, property management companies? Where are you looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,792 times
Newspaper ads, craigslist, friends, and anywhere else I can find. I don't use any specific websites because I have never found any, and I don't use property management companies because I wouldn't know where to start.

I do contact realtors and ask for the rental listings. (Perhaps that counts as using a property management company.)

Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,012 times
Apartment locators are great if you have them in your area.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
All depends...

Some people go to a neighborhood they like and look for "For Rent" signs.

I've rented a lot of my homes this way... just a sign in the window.

Craigslist is very popular in the SF Bay Area and for many younger people it is the first and only place to look.

If you are relocating from out of the area, a Property Management Company might be the most efficient...

The rental section of my newspaper almost doesn't exist anymore...

Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I found my apartment through Craigs List. I'd urge anyone who is going that route, though, to look at ALL of the ads in their price range; don't only look at ads with photos. The ad for my new apartment didn't have any (and in fact, wouldn't have had photos of it, anyway, because they were advertising a smaller unit upstairs; the manager just happened to tell me that another tenant had given notice and would be vacating very soon).

Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Some major newspapers are online now so their classifieds section is just as good, mine even has a feature to search in a particular town. or realtor . com website has rentals. Craigslist is good to, tons are there, but i kinda rather just drive and do it the old fashion way, maybe save time for the exact location u want.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I've used craigslist the last 2 times I've rented, so that's worked out well for me. Tried property management, but their requirements were a bit ridiculous and they were FAR overpriced for the area I was looking in. Plus, the houses we did tour through property management were dingy, stained carpet, windows with cardboard in them instead of glass, broken hinges on doors etc etc. I know not all PM is like that, but the 4 companies that we went through were offering subpar houses for way too much money.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
We get the majority of calls off signs in the yard. So I would have to say in my area, that a majority of people just drive around in areas they would like to live and look for signs.

We do also get some calls from Craigslist. We got very very few from newspaper ads, so we stopped placing them.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 PM

200 posts, read 600,615 times
A lot of people around here look at and post rental ads through Craigslist. I have used it in the past and have been successful with it. Walking around/driving through different areas looking for signs in the yard is something I usually do as well.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:42 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I tried the "drive and call" method a little bit, but I have two cats. The more specific your needs are (pets okay, and also if you need to be in a certain price range), the less it will work. At least with CL you can search on what you want, and the results will only be for apartments/houses within your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting