Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:35 PM

23 posts, read 70,209 times

Advertisements

I have dispute with landlord over my last day, I signed contract that will end in mid of july, they played with the my not renewal notice to be dated end of may, and thus claim that my last day will be end of july, because the from mid of july to end of july there is no contract they are charging me double the rent (theives)
They have security deposit that can cover some day of july but not the whole period.
My question what will happen if I left end of june and not paying whole july?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
What does the contract say about a notice for not extending the lease. Did you have to give notice or not? If not, than your lease will end as stated in the lease. If you had to give notice and was late doing so and they except the end of july as an end date, you have to pay until than but they had to have informed you that month to month would be double rent, otherwise IMO you can leave if you don't except the new conditions you were never informed about and IMO your monthly rent will be similar to what you have paid now. Most places charge $ 100.- more if it is a month to month lease after a lease expires but double rent sounds unreasonable to me...

Old 06-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you for reply.

In the contract I signed from a year ago, there is an item said I need to give two month notice, somehow I lots that contract, but the notice they send to remind me with the renewal never mention anything about those 60 days, The increase of rent for those pass-contract days is 40% of normal rent.

Because they are theives I do not expect to get a penny of my deposit (10 days rent), So if I vacant the apartment end of jun, send a cheque of rent until end of contract minus the deposit, how bad this plan will be?

Old 06-06-2009, 02:16 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
It's amazing how many people really don't read their lease contracts. I've always thought that there should be a course in high school explaining how leases/rentals work.

Mine says without a 60 day notice of moving IN WRITING, it will be assumed I am renewing for another 12 month period.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:36 PM

It is not reading, it remember what you sign from a year.
The renewal notice mention everything, except you need to cancel in 60days

Old 06-06-2009, 06:17 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,310 times
It's not up to the landlord to remind you that you need to give notice. Some don't even give renewal notices, those are a courtesy and you should consider yourself lucky you got one.

It's your responsibility to read your lease and keep it handy to refer to in situations such as this. They are not thieves, you're the one that was wrong, not them. It is very common and legal for landlord's to charge a higher rate from the point when the lease expires to the move out date. Even though you don't sign a lease, you'll technically be in a month to month lease, which is almost always at a higher rate.

I don't recommend your plan. You need to pay them what you owe. If you don't pay for all of July, they can file for your eviction. This will be a public record on your credit report. They can also sue you in small claims court (which I'm sure they'll win) for the monetary loss. Depending on your state, you could have your wages garnished. They can also send you to a collection agency. Your rental history will be forever tarnished and it will make renting or purchasing a home extremely difficult. Your credit will also suffer for the next 7 years. Does it really sound worth it? Own up to your mistake, chalk it up to a lesson learned and pay what you owe.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:26 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I agree with the previous poster. The LL was very nice and not a thief at all when he send you a renewal reminder. He didn't have to do it and for sure he didn't have to send you the conditions of your lease. Now you have explained what is going on, you should appologize for calling your LL names he doesn't deserve. You didn't keep or didn't remembr what you have signed and I'm not calling you a bad tenant for that so you shouldn't call him names either!

Your LL can go to small claim court and get a judgment against you and it will cost you way more than only the sec. deposit....interest on rent, late fees, court costs and indeed your credit score can take a plunge + for every background check it will come up and for future loans your interest rate can go up...so think before you start calling names and before you get your self in more trouble. Your LL didn't even have to send you tha reminder so he/she is a very nice person to do so!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
alwaysdream,

It's not to late to get things on track to keep yourself out of court, here's some suggestions if you want to see your security deposit:

1. Give your 60 day notice in writing now. Make a copy for yourself and get the Landlords signiture and date.

2. Make certain everything is in good repair, when you actually move out, make certain the apartment is clean, to avoid charges that will deducted from your security deposit. [carpets, flooring, fridge, stove top and oven ect.]

3. Schedule a move-out inspection with the LL. You may have to insist on this, this way you can discuss concerns with the LL present. Get the inspection in writing, make certain you get a copy, signed and dated by the LL.

4. You can still move your things out before the end of the 60 days, But YOU MUST pay thru the 60days. Your now on a month to month basis because you did not sign the renewal. The month to month charges may seem out of line, but I'm not sure that it's worth your time to fight about that as it is only a 2 week period that those charges will affect.

Have any more questions, let us know and Best of luck to you.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 17,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What does the contract say about a notice for not extending the lease. Did you have to give notice or not? If not, than your lease will end as stated in the lease. If you had to give notice and was late doing so and they except the end of july as an end date, you have to pay until than but they had to have informed you that month to month would be double rent, otherwise IMO you can leave if you don't except the new conditions you were never informed about and IMO your monthly rent will be similar to what you have paid now. Most places charge $ 100.- more if it is a month to month lease after a lease expires but double rent sounds unreasonable to me...
Double the rent, even if it went month to month due to a late notice is very unreasonable. Maybe you could call an attorney, for a free consultation regarding this matter, to see if this is legal.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 PM

458 posts, read 1,670,927 times
How are they thieves? From what you say, you signed a contract that had the terms clearly laid out, and they are following the terms of the contract. Did the contract say they were required to remind you when there were 60 days left on your lease? If not, then really it was quite kind of them to send you any renewal notice at all.

If what you say is true, they sound like perfectly honest folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting