Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:12 AM

72 posts, read 275,562 times

Advertisements

I have quite the situation on my hands and thought I could ask for some advise from this forum. My husband and I bought a home four years ago without the knowledge that the rental home directly next door was being operated as an unlicensed group home for mentally ill adults. There are three residents in the home who are under staff supervison 24 hours a day. With that being said, know that our home has been set on fire twice, our car was found to have a burnt tube sock sticking out of the gas tank one morning, they have bashed in our gate and fence, our dogs have been let out of our yard, items have been taken from our yard and to top it off, they are left unsupervised outside all the time, which has resulted in several attempts to approach me as while I am alone. We have made dozens of attempts to have something done about this through several state departments (human services, licensing, recipient rights), county departments (county mental health, county prosecutor's office), local departments (police, fire, twp. supervisor, building and zoning) and elected state officals (speaker of the house and attorney general) but are still finding ourselves to be out of luck. The staffing agency has paid for our damages in the past but my concern is that we are not going to have the luxery of waking up one morning. All of fires set to our home have been in the middle of the night while we slept. We have invested in security cameras and have adopted a third dog for added protection. I guess my question is this, should I be hunting the actual homeowner to alert them of what is happening? Do you feel that with all that has happened that the police are contacting the homeowner and they are just not really caring about putting our neighborhood in danger? Do you think they are in the dark about all of this? What should I do? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:36 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,392 times
Oh man, I would be hunting down the homeowner and sending him a letter from my attorney laying out all the problems you've had and suggesting he do something about his tenants or there's going to be a huge lawsuit in his immediate future.

I'm surprised the county/zoning et cetera haven't done anything about it.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:45 AM

850 posts, read 4,740,431 times
Heck ya I'd be calling the homeowner. I would imagine that if anything happens to you or your home, they're the ones that are legally responsible b/c they are allowing this illegal group home to continue. That's negligent behavior. I wouldn't be nice about it either and I certainly would explore getting an attorney involved. Do you have a news channel that has a trouble shooter? This might be a good one for them. Probably doesn't even need to be a trouble shooter, I'd imagine any news channel would jump at an illegal group home with all of the incidents you've had. I'd keep on it until they're gone. That's simply not ok!

Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
I'm incredulous that the bureaucracy has apparently ignored the problem. If an unlicensed group home were operating in my neck of the woods it would be closed down in a heartbeat. Why on earth have you been putting up with this for four years?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:25 PM

The problem is that for some reason that I cannot get anyone to explain to me, even though the group home is unlicensed, the state of MI is ok with this. Therefore, there are no regulations being enforced. The other problem is that there are no law that protect my family (the law abiding, tax paying homeowners) but there are a ton of laws that protect the mentally ill even in a situation like we are in. I will definately contact the homeowners now that I know that they should be held accountable. We don't want to have to sue anyone but we don't want to continue living in fear either. If we had any children, we would have already taken our losses and hit the road.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
I would be hiring an attorney to send a letter to the homeowner as well as the code enforcement officer and half a dozen others. Make sure he puts the homeowner that he is on notice that he will be named in any lawsuit stemming from further damages.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:14 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,871 times
In florida I could just shot them one at a time when they come on my property.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
In florida I could just shot them one at a time when they come on my property.

HA!! Here in Michigan, we would have to find them INSIDE our home in order to go to that measure. Neighbors have mentioned, why not just invite them in....just jokingly of course....

Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijoy View Post
HA!! Here in Michigan, we would have to find them INSIDE our home in order to go to that measure. Neighbors have mentioned, why not just invite them in....just jokingly of course....
Seriously the fastest way to get my attention as a landlord is cost me time or money

Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,256,290 times
I find it hard to believe that the cops did nothing about the arson attempt if you had it on camera. I would get a lawyer involved asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting