Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 09:47 AM

901 posts, read 2,986,784 times

Advertisements

I currently rent my apartment and I'm the only one on the lease. My BF and I are planning to live together in my apartment in the near future. Can he be added on the lease in the middle of it? Would I have to wait until it is time to renew to add him? Could I get in trouble if he lives with me without being on the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 AM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
Yes, he absolutely must be on the lease. He would be an unauthorized occupant otherwise and you could get evicted. You can add someone mid-lease, but it's up to your landlord. He'll likely have to fill out an application, pay an application fee, get approved and have a new lease drawn. Keep in mind that it's up to the landlord on whether or not he wants to add a new tenant. While I don't see a problem with it, some landlords do. Just talk to them and find out their procedures.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Yes, he absolutely must be on the lease. He would be an unauthorized occupant otherwise and you could get evicted. You can add someone mid-lease, but it's up to your landlord. He'll likely have to fill out an application, pay an application fee, get approved and have a new lease drawn. Keep in mind that it's up to the landlord on whether or not he wants to add a new tenant. While I don't see a problem with it, some landlords do. Just talk to them and find out their procedures.
Thanks for the advice. We would not be moving in together until after we are engaged. I've been an excellent tenant for years. This is the second apartment that I've rented from the owners. When I left the first apartment, I left it spotless. I've never paid the rent late in four years. After he pops the question, I'll contact the LL and see what kind of a respose I get.

Here's my concern: He has very limited credit history (not bad credit). He does not own a CC and only has a student loan. I'm wondering if that would mean he could not be added onto the lease. Yikes.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:00 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Planning on talking to the owners about it is a good thing. Also, generally credit (unless it is bad) doesn't matter as much as demonstrating your ability to pay. Does your boyfriend have a job? Or, another option would be, does he have a parent that would cosign him? (I don't know how old he is, maybe it is a silly question, but just an option.)

Old 06-13-2009, 01:12 PM

He does have a job and definately does not have a co-signer. If they really refuse, I guess I'll move. It will be their loss because as I mentioned in my other post, I've been an excellent tenant. Acutally, when I went to rent my second apartment from them, they pulled up my payement history and told me I was excellent. They waived the fee for my second apartment because of my record with them. So, hopefully in this economy, they would want to keep the good tenants that don't give them any problems.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 125,028 times
can i move with my boyfriend with a judgement on my credit

Old 12-11-2012, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 125,028 times
Default carolynnixon28

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynnixon View Post

Old 12-11-2012, 05:07 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynnixon View Post
Could you perhaps (1) learn how to use the "new thread" button (at the top of each topic, e.g. renting) and (2) learn how to express yourself so that we actually understand what you are asking?

Do you mean "move with" (as you wrote) or "move in with"? Does he have a lease? Does he have a long, GOOD payment history with the LL? And what exactly is the "judgment" you have on your credit? Normally that would scare most LLs away, I imagine.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I currently rent my apartment and I'm the only one on the lease. My BF and I are planning to live together in my apartment in the near future. Can he be added on the lease in the middle of it? Would I have to wait until it is time to renew to add him? Could I get in trouble if he lives with me without being on the lease?
Yes you can be in trouble if he is not on the lease! You can add someone easily BUT they may ask likewe do for an application fee and conduct a background check prior to adding him.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:39 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I suggest you ask your landlord and not a bunch of strangers on the internet. How would I know whether your landlord will allow you to add someone to the lease? I don't even know your landlord.

I suspect it will depend upon the boyfriend's credit report and criminal background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting