Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:11 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times

Advertisements

Do they? Are they approving people with Misdeamenors or Felonies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:21 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,096,057 times
So buildings do and some buildings don't. All depends on the landlord or management company. I know me as a landlord, I will do this just to be safe.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeViper01 View Post
So buildings do and some buildings don't. All depends on the landlord or management company. I know me as a landlord, I will do this just to be safe.
I guess the areas that have crime rates don't and the upscale areas do?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
In Seattle they sure do!

Most landlords private and property management, will do credit checks and criminal backround checks. They will verify income and employment. They will ask for and contact previous landlords. Some will require that the rent not constitute more than 30% of monthly income and require pay receipts as proof.

Court ordered evictions will also turn up on backround checks, and if you have one of those you will never rent again anywhere in Seattle.

However in Texas where tenant removal is a much easier process, I think such backround check extremes would not be usual.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
In Seattle they sure do!

Most landlords private and property management, will do credit checks and criminal backround checks. They will verify income and employment. They will ask for and contact previous landlords. Some will require that the rent not constitute more than 30% of monthly income and require pay receipts as proof.

Court ordered evictions will also turn up on backround checks, and if you have one of those you will never rent again anywhere in Seattle.

However in Texas where tenant removal is a much easier process, I think such backround check extremes would not be usual.
They all do that in Texas too.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:32 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Any Landlord who wants to know who they're renting to will do one.

Most apartment communities who do background checks are required to
by there corporate office, it's part of the rental process.

If the application states that there will be a background check and asks
for a signiture in order to process, then they'll be doing a background check.

Last edited by virgode; 07-06-2009 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: word

Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 AM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
In my area (NC), every apartment community does a criminal background check in addition to the credit, income and residential history checks. Most communities do not accept any felony of any time, regardless of the date. A few will accept them if they're older than years, but not many. There are also some common misdemeanors that are treated the same way, like any crime against a person, drug related charges, financial related charges or anything related to fraud.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:06 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Nearly all private landlords in my area do criminal/income/credit/etc. checks. I do know of two rather large apartment complexes that don't do any checks at all but they're a bastion for violence, rape, shootings, drug dealing etc.

Pretty much the type of place you imagine where they don't do any type of checks.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I have a service that alerts me any time there is any change or inquiry to my credit. I have paid so-called background and/or credit check fees ranging from $25 - $50 and have yet to be notified of any credit check. In one case where I remained in contact with a previous rental manager I was told that there were no inquires as to my rental history.

I think in most cases if a prospective tenant presents him/herself is a professional manner, that is, decently dressed with clean hygiene most tentative landlords will opt to simply pocket the money.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM

850 posts, read 4,739,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I have a service that alerts me any time there is any change or inquiry to my credit. I have paid so-called background and/or credit check fees ranging from $25 - $50 and have yet to be notified of any credit check. In one case where I remained in contact with a previous rental manager I was told that there were no inquires as to my rental history.

I think in most cases if a prospective tenant presents him/herself is a professional manner, that is, decently dressed with clean hygiene most tentative landlords will opt to simply pocket the money.
That is completely untrue. As we've already established in MANY of your other threads, you've apparently had bad experiences with landlords. Virtually ALL landlords screen their residents. The degree in which they do so varies, but the money does not simply get pocketed. Qualifying residents is probably the biggest part of the rental process that Fair Housing applies to, so the vast majority of landlords are very careful to treat everyone the same, have written rental criteria and process every resident the same way.

Again, please don't give people the wrong idea based on your bad experiences. You've acknowledged you've had some bad landlords, but trust the rest of us with multitudes of experience in the industry that that is not how the majority of landlords operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting