Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:24 AM

751 posts, read 2,481,145 times

Advertisements

Find out about legal aid or other pro-bono work done by lawyers where you live. Than it doesn't matter if she files bankruptcy because they were never getting paid anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0705 View Post
Thanks kettlepot, she may go down that road.When I first posted I was surprised by some comments implying that maybe she wasn't telling me everything and that TROs are not just given out for no reason. I also got similar reactions from a few friends that I had talked to....they didn't say anything...they just got this look on their faces that said, Wow, what did your daughter do? To be honest if I wasn't aware of the facts and hadn't actually been there (and having no idea on how TRO were obtained and used) I would have wondered what was going on too. She is embarrassed and humiliated by what LL did to her and the negative reaction people have when they find out about the TRO. The only thing that I can do is help and support her with any judicial path she decides to take. Doing nothing is not a choice. The Court Hearing was a win for her but it was not enoungh. It's not just about getting the money back. It's more about not allowing someone to maliciously cause damage to you with out consequence. At this point in time LL thinks she has able to harass my daughter, kick her out on the street with nothing, manipulate the court system and get away with it.
Hi, I do hope your daughter takes this to court and is able to get a judgement against the LL. Even though the TRO was thrown out, your daughter did suffer from the landlord's actions and if she takes the landlord to court it may prevent the landlord from doing this to another unsuspecting tenant in the future.

Based on your description of the events, it appears that this is normal for the landlord and they really need to face some kind of consequences for their actions. As of today, from what I read, the landlord, for all intents and purposes, was able to unlawfully evict your daughter without any repurcusions which appeared to be the result they were looking for. Best of luck to you and yours.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 915 times
Hi,

Can you please send me an email about what happened after? The same thing happened to me. But instead I was homeless for 2 months. Please contact me when you can.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:41 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evvy78 View Post
Hi,

Can you please send me an email about what happened after? The same thing happened to me. But instead I was homeless for 2 months. Please contact me when you can.
This thread is over five years old and the poster hasn't returned to post on CD since then.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,470 times
This just happened to myself but, LL is my roommate's mother and are trying trying to that I have just been a GUEST for the last 3 yrs I've lived lived there. 2 days before the LOCKOUT by roomate(daughtet of LL) her, LL and myself agreed upon my vacating premises by the 1st if next month and that's the end of it. My roommate likes to LORD over me and threatens to kick me out at least once a week. If I do jot do as she COMMANDS I am on the chopping block. Now roomate took out a protective order, for stalking at my own house lol, called the cops on me.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A couple of things... and not offered as judgemental.

A court order supersedes a lease or rental agreement... she of course can fight it, but why would she in terms of moving back into this woman's home?

Your daughter would most likely have been better served using the money now going to for legal fees to move and then go after the Woman for the security deposit if she felt entitled.

I really cannot understand why a renter in person's home would want to stay under the situation you described... my advice is always to move because it's rarely ever worth the aggravation living under a roof where it is clear you are not welcome.

I wish your daughter luck and hopefully she has a place to bring her belongings once a date is set for a civil standby and the movers.

Sometimes the TRO runs in the other direction. As you know, I've been renting a room from a volatile drunk who has inserted himself as a middleman who pays house rent to the owner and then lives in the house for free by renting out the extra bedrooms to collect (higher) room rents.

A woman who rented one of the rooms served a TRO on the drunk. The landlord made a rare appearance to temporarily kick out the drunk until the scheduled hearing to resolve the TRO, At the hearing, the TRO was dismissed and the drunk returned to the house, while the woman moved out.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:40 AM

581 posts, read 664,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there maybe more to the story than you know or are being told. I would be upset as a mother as well and feel for your daughter being out on the street with her two pets and no belongings. with that being said. in the lease your daughter signed does it say that the landlord has to give her a 30 day vacate notice? the tro does sound like an easy way to get rid of someone but I don't think tro are given for nothing. once asked to leave by a landlord it is of no concern to any landlord if their tennet can "afford" to move or not. no landlord ever "pays" for a move. it is true that a landlord does not have to give back a security deposit until after the tennet has left, they can also keep the security depo if they feel the house needed repairs or cleaning. was it not nice what the landlord did? yes most certainly but I doubt it was illegal. I hope your daughter manages to find a safe place for her to stay.
Oh, yes, they are! OP, this happened to me in AZ. I did not have money or time to have a lawyer in time for the hearing 7 days later, and the crooked judge believed that woman that lied on me! She told the judge that I repeatedly called her at work, but had no proof and he still ruled in her favor. It has put my career in jeopardy.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAllen73 View Post
This just happened to myself but, LL is my roommate's mother and are trying trying to that I have just been a GUEST for the last 3 yrs I've lived lived there. 2 days before the LOCKOUT by roomate(daughtet of LL) her, LL and myself agreed upon my vacating premises by the 1st if next month and that's the end of it. My roommate likes to LORD over me and threatens to kick me out at least once a week. If I do jot do as she COMMANDS I am on the chopping block. Now roomate took out a protective order, for stalking at my own house lol, called the cops on me.
JR, this happened to me in AZ by a malicious roommate who won because a judge believed everything that she said. I would like to sue her, she still has some of my property and she has damaged my reputation, but my problem is that I didn't have a formal lease agreement or get any receipts for the rent I gave her. Very, very stupid on my part. So, she told the judge that I was a friend that she let stay their for awhile and that I wouldn't leave. She also told the judge that I was making harassing phone calls to her work. She had no proof of this whatsoever. I was unable to afford a lawyer for the hearing 7 days later. The judge believed everything that she said and ruled in her favor. I want her to legally suffer for what she has done to me. My career is in jeopardy.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
JR, this happened to me in AZ by a malicious roommate who won because a judge believed everything that she said. I would like to sue her, she still has some of my property and she has damaged my reputation, but my problem is that I didn't have a formal lease agreement or get any receipts for the rent I gave her. Very, very stupid on my part. So, she told the judge that I was a friend that she let stay their for awhile and that I wouldn't leave. She also told the judge that I was making harassing phone calls to her work. She had no proof of this whatsoever. I was unable to afford a lawyer for the hearing 7 days later. The judge believed everything that she said and ruled in her favor. I want her to legally suffer for what she has done to me. My career is in jeopardy.
I am sorry to hear that...iit's now been a week and a day...haven't heard anything yet about court other than when i went to the courthouse and spoke with the TRO issuing office who gave me an add to her complaint sheet in which i wasn't even able to list everything bogus about her complaint. I have acquired 3 years worth of property, my property, which I am unlawfully kept from. I believe that I am well within my rights to file theft charges against her and her mother our LL. What I have read a verbalized agreement on rent is just as valid as a written one...Although, I have no idea if my belongings are even there...Fortunately Im meeting with a friend who is a local lawyer and may be able to return to my home and have the time that was promised to get my stuff out...lmfao I have an 80 gallon fish tank there, couches furniture ect...that in no way would I have there just being a guest...Absolute travesty the abuse of law...ppower tripping people do suck ass....

Old 04-16-2015, 05:12 PM

JRAllen, sorry to hear about your situation too. On my way out, I will reply more later on tonight. What I'm interested in now is how to get her back legally. I need to go over this thread again and see what the original poster has done. I want to sue her for lying and ruining my reputation. I want to know how to go about doing that. I might have to speak to a lawyer once again. When I spoke to one if was pertaining to how to appeal the Order of Protection ruling, but now, I want to sue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting