Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:19 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,547,566 times

Advertisements

Is there a local YMCA where you can rent a room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:16 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Is there a local YMCA where you can rent a room?
I checked the website for the local YMCA and they don't appear to rent rooms.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Unfortunately I am not in much of a position to do anything about that right now.

Basically I dug my own grave and have been laying in it for years and only starting to panic now that I can taste the dirt.
LA county mental health services has a 24-hour helpline. 1-800-854-7771 If you have time to post here, you have time to call and see what help you can get.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
LA county mental health services has a 24-hour helpline. 1-800-854-7771 If you have time to post here, you have time to call and see what help you can get.
Thanks!

I am posting from work, mainly working from a text file I spill random thoughts in while here so I can't call from here.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
What about a friend you could ask to stay with just till you get more on your feet? Have you checked craigslist about people renting a room? I am not sure if you would have enough for that money wise. I get weird intuitions but are you sure there is not more to this then just wanting ot get out cause of the rent increase? If so I would try to face what is going on. I really though encourage you to talk to your LL even though it may be a huge struggle. Maybe you could have a friend or something go with you. I hope you hold to hope

Old 07-10-2009, 06:28 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I am posting from work, mainly working from a text file I spill random thoughts in while here so I can't call from here.
So you can cruise the 'net while you're at work, but you can't make a phone call? You don't really want help if you won't even do the simple act of picking up the phone. Either you don't really want a solution to your problem, or you don't really have a problem and you're just pulling our legs.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
So you can cruise the 'net while you're at work, but you can't make a phone call? You don't really want help if you won't even do the simple act of picking up the phone. Either you don't really want a solution to your problem, or you don't really have a problem and you're just pulling our legs.

Yes, I have one incoming line that I am responsible for answering, in addition to internet access. I love my job!

I am not really sure what help is needed as I can't really pinpoint the problem other than being a victim of my own poor judgement. I also don't believe in government charity.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
What about a friend you could ask to stay with just till you get more on your feet? Have you checked craigslist about people renting a room? I am not sure if you would have enough for that money wise. I get weird intuitions but are you sure there is not more to this then just wanting ot get out cause of the rent increase? If so I would try to face what is going on. I really though encourage you to talk to your LL even though it may be a huge struggle. Maybe you could have a friend or something go with you. I hope you hold to hope
I am not really sure how to answer the question but not wanting to pay the management company any more money and not wanting to live here anymore is the most pressing concern. I guess the real problem is decades of living in my own carefully constructed alternate reality which just suffered a head on collision with real reality.

I don't have many friends. They're all sorta scattered around the world now. Yes, I have checked Craigslist, and just a room (plus storage) comes out to more than I am paying now, especially adding luxuries I don't want or need like cable TV.

But I am not very confident of finding an acceptable shared living situation - think mid/late 30's male who has never had a girlfriend to get an idea of the kind of creep that is going to have to ask strangers to let him move in.

And thinking of my friends makes rolling the dice on strangers really little scary. Friend #1 - On parole with cops ocassionally tossing his place. Also has a habit of borrowing things and breaking them. I do not loan him things. Friend #2 - sells weed, Friend #3 - sex offender registry ( I believe him when he says he didn't do it, but still...) The only friend I trust to be honest, drug and drama free (though his own roomate problems made national news - no, really) also has never held a job in the 20 years I have known him, often lives in his car and is about to marry a 90 year old woman.

Which is why I am trying to just improvise a new living situation.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
I am not really sure how to answer the question but not wanting to pay the management company any more money and not wanting to live here anymore is the most pressing concern. I guess the real problem is decades of living in my own carefully constructed alternate reality which just suffered a head on collision with real reality.

I don't have many friends. They're all sorta scattered around the world now. Yes, I have checked Craigslist, and just a room (plus storage) comes out to more than I am paying now, especially adding luxuries I don't want or need like cable TV.

But I am not very confident of finding an acceptable shared living situation - think mid/late 30's male who has never had a girlfriend to get an idea of the kind of creep that is going to have to ask strangers to let him move in.

And thinking of my friends makes rolling the dice on strangers really little scary. Friend #1 - On parole with cops ocassionally tossing his place. Also has a habit of borrowing things and breaking them. I do not loan him things. Friend #2 - sells weed, Friend #3 - sex offender registry ( I believe him when he says he didn't do it, but still...) The only friend I trust to be honest, drug and drama free (though his own roomate problems made national news - no, really) also has never held a job in the 20 years I have known him, often lives in his car and is about to marry a 90 year old woman.

Which is why I am trying to just improvise a new living situation.
Wow, you have great "friends" indeed. Fine upstanding members of society. Time to grow up, young man ...

Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
You have been given a lot of advice but you don't want to do any of them. I am not saying any of it is easy or pleasurable but in the long run may help you get back on your feet. You can't change the past or the mistakes you have made but you can learn from them so it does not continue. On a side note the post you made about the storage unit and hobbies. You may want to look at that and if you can make money off of it right now though it would be sad to have to sell after so long you may have to look at what you need right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting