Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 AM

21 posts, read 38,280 times

Advertisements

I was haressed where I used to live because I told a neighbor if her son tried to let my cat out of my apartment again I would have to call the police. The kid opened the screen door. I caught him right in the act. This kid has caused other minor problems in the neighborhood. The mother told the management and they started tapping on my walls during the day and banging at night in the attic almost 24/7. Believe it or not they had some long time tenants helping them. Some of the tenants who had to have heard the banging at night told me they did not hear a sound. They were not being truthfull with me and I knew it. I got the LL message and gave my 30 day notice. They continued their haressment even after I gave my notice. Before I moved I told the mover, who I used when I moved to NC not to mention my address in the apartment. I had to explain my situation to him. I was aware they could hear everything including my phone conversations. They tapped after each phone conversation, when I walked into another room, even when I flushed the toilet. The banging at night was loud enough to give anybody a heart attack and it was right over where I sleep. They must have been using a hammer on the rafters. I decided to sleep in the living room, but they figured that out the first night.

The mover mentioned my address anyway while inside the apartment and I believe it was his intention to do this. People have been very cruel to me since I moved here. The day after I moved to my new location the maintenance dept manager drove by in the morning about 9 miles from where he works to this rural area I live in that has signs that say "NO OUTLET" and DEAD END." I decided to report it to the operation manager (owner) and of course since it's haressment they never responded.

The maintenance dept manager is the master mind (although the office manager and asst property manager are also aware of what's taking place)and he now has these criminals coming to my new home on a daily and nightly basis. Their method of operation is identical. I moved to a mobile home. As it turns out it's very easy to get on top of the roof, jump off and be gone in seconds. I purchased a security camera so if they got on the roof I would see them. Since they are watching me and the home I live in all the time I know they saw the person putting it on the roof. Now they are going under the mobile home by lifting up the skirt around it and banging at all hours of the day. By the time I'm able to get outside they are gone in a flash. My cat and I are ready to have a nervous breakdown! I'm a complete mess.

I'm in my 60's, have always paid my rent on time, in fact usually before it was due and keep my rental in very good shape.

I'm not working and therefore can't move again since I would not be approved. And even if I could move they would find me again unless I left the state. I've rented all of my life and have always been treated well by my other LL's.

They won't let me get a good nights sleep at night and I'm having trouble sleeping during the day. The police told me to catch them and let me know when I do. That's impossible for me to do. So I'm all alone here in this God forbidden city of Raleigh, and hoping they don't break in, or worse yet try to kill me. I now have a gun, but I'm still scared to death.

The property management company seemed very professional when I first moved in, but don't let people fool you. Just for telling a neighbor I would have to call the police if her kid did this again I'm going to be paying for it as long as I live in Raleigh. You would think I threatened somebody's life. If I had enough money I'd leave the state. I cannot afford to move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:17 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times
Get a lawyer!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:39 AM

Default Get a lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
Get a lawyer!
What proof do I have? I can't see them doing it. I can't afford one anyway and one lawyer already told me I didn't have a case without catching them first.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Have you had a recent medical check-up? I'm not being at all facetious but think it might be a good idea. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:12 AM

Default This is really happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Have you had a recent medical check-up? I'm not being at all facetious but think it might be a good idea. Good luck!
I realize this is an unusual problem to have and very much out of the ordinary, but it's also very easy for these criminals to do this to me. These criminals are having fun with me, but what scares me is that it has escalated in the short time I've been here. At first it was just tapping on the home and windows. Then they started the banging. I don't need a medical checkup, but yes I do have one every year for high BP. I saw my doctor for my annual physical a week and a half ago and he believes me and is very concerned about my BP since it is much higher even with medication. The police have been very understanding, but they can't help me.

The owner didn't believe me either until I decided to give him a copy of the letter I emailed to the property operation owner. He realized immediatelly that I wasn't nuts. And why did the maintanence dept manager drive by my place the day after I moved? I know his license plate number, plus he also has a customed red truck that you can't miss. I was also followed by someone by the name of Leo from Knightdale (I won't give his last name.) I played cat and mouse with him to be sure I was being followed. I called 911 when I got into a strip mall in knightdale and managed to get his license plate number. He fleed the area when he noticed the police. The police gave me his name and address.

We had a 27 year old kid try to get on and off the roof and he got on it by using the back porch railing and jumped down in about 3 seconds. My cat hears the noises as well and will stare at the same direction where the tapping and loud banging comes from. Her pupils become dilated. She does not take her eyes from the area until she feels she doesn't have to flee. A few times she took off and hid under the recliner when the banging was so loud in the middle of the night. She hates it here. I believe she senses something is not right.

I've only lived here a year. I know very few people and haven't had any dates or breakups with anybody. I haven't worked so I also don't have any co-workers who would be mad at me.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
File a restraining order, there is another thread on here that talks about how easy it is.

I realize you said you had a medical checkup, but I do wonder if your doctor realizes the whole story. Why would these people do this to you? It doesn't make sense. There is a "mastermind" of the whole harassement scheme? Your mover intentionally gave your new address so the harassers could get it? He doesn't know them from Adam, so how could he be in on it, too? It just doesn't make sense.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:41 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,765,902 times
This sounds really bizarre. But in answer to the question "what do I do", like others have said, you can file a restraining order, although it doesn't do any good if they flee every time the cops come around.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
You'll have to excuse any posts here making reference to your sanity.
They've probably not encountered or ever been a victim of harrasement,
but I'm sure it's said with respect and kindness, however, hard to
fully understand. Although, I would recommend some counseling bc you
have no one to talk to about the problem. Most ppl will write you off,
thinking your fabricating the story.

One thing I can tell you is I don't get the feeling there out to hurt you.
Put your fear aside, ppl who do these kinds of things know that your
fearfull, your falling right into the game, which is why their continuing.
If it were an old boyfriend you gilted, I would say you have more to be
concerned about. None the less it is harrassment and stalking, if you've
been followed. When you saw the red truck, knew who the driver was,
the fact that he speed away to me is proof he followed you, a police report
can still be made. Get in contact with victims services in your
area, they can help you with how to proceed with the problem. Keep
a note book and write down everytime these things happen, time and date.
Don't feel alone, trust me, I could match these stories and top them,
you don't even want to know.

Last edited by virgode; 07-19-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: paragraphing

Old 07-19-2009, 12:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
I agree that counseling is in order, even if (or perhaps especially if) these things are actually happening. You need assistance in dealing with the emotional aspects of the problem as well as with the practical aspects - especially if you have blood pressure issues, you'll need a counselor to give you ways of dealing with the anxiety this is causing you.

Beyond that, what people said, getting a restraining order is the first step.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM

Default Far from normal behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
This sounds really bizarre. But in answer to the question "what do I do", like others have said, you can file a restraining order, although it doesn't do any good if they flee every time the cops come around.
Who do I file the restraining order against? Do you think the office manangement is driving 9 miles away from where they work to do this to me 24/7. They found someone close by to where I live just as they did where I used to live. I feel certain I know what tenents they used to do this to me? I once worked on a police dept and developed very strong gut instinks, plus the behavior of these people toward me changed immediately. I never heard noises like this in my life anywhere I ever lived.

The mover did it on purpose. He is not involved in any other way. I told him 3 times NOT to mention my address once we were inside, and one of those times was the minute he arrived outside of my apartment before we went inside. I don't know the people who are on my roof so how do I file a restraining order. They are very clever and too fast for me to catch. My doctor read the email I sent to the owners of what has, and still is happeneing to me. You can read it below. The office property management is not driving all hours of the day and night to do this. They know people, and they have found these criminals. They are not and never really were very professonal. This must be their way of getting people out and they would laugh like hell if they could do it again to me.

It's very hard for people who are not experiencing this, or who never had to go through anything similiar to believe this. It was my mistake to even bring it up on this Forum, but here is the email I sent to the property management directors. I'm not suffering from some illness or taking any medication that would cause me to hear what I'm hearing. They are enjoying this little game of their's because they know it's getting the best of me. How would you like to have someone listening to your conversations and even at your most personal moments.

If you want to read my email to the owners, here it is. I have changed the names of the office management so the apartment complex will not identifiable.

Dear Mr. & Ms. :

I’m very apprehensive to bring this matter to your
> attention, plus it is taking an enormous amount of
> courage. I wanted to email this to you when it first
> started happening, but I was scared of the consequence I may suffer.
> I’ve reached the point where I feel the need to inform
> you. I’m a single 61 year old who does not
> imagine things are happening. I’m not delusional, I
> am very much aware of what’s taking place in my
> life. My circumstances are without a doubt unusual,
> and far from normal behavior.

My reason for leaving ------- Apartments was because of a
> mistake I made when I compromised my lease on April 27,
> 2009. I told my new neighbor I
> would call the police if I had anymore trouble with her
> son. I also infomred the office managment. Plus, I mentioned to my neighbor if it happened
> again and my cat went missing I would want my $300.00 pet
> deposit back. I saw what took place as I walked out of
> my bedroom and that's how I caught the kid trying to let my cat. I had my own screen on the front door for
> 3 months in 2008, and again for 2 weeks in April 2009 before
> this incident took place. My cat is older and
> very aloof. She is not an outdoor cat. She has
> never tried to get outside during the 3 ½ months I used
> this screen. If the door was wide open and there
> wasn’t a screen maybe she would try to venture outside,
> but that wasn’t something I would want to find out.
> The screen worked very well for me and my cat. I was
> upset after this incident with my neighbor’s son since my
> cat has become just like
> my child. I did take the screen down and did not use
> it again. Before this incident my neighbor’s son
> yelled at me to get off of his property as I cut across the
> grass after getting my mail from the mail box. Sometimes I heard his mother screaming at him at the top of her voice in the backyard. I believe she has her hands
> full.
>
> Approximately one week after I notified the management at
> ------Apartments about the incident I had with my
> neighbor’s son, I started to hear tapping periodically on
> the ceiling during the day. It would happen when I
> entered a different room, when I was on the phone, on my
> computer key board typing, even when I flushed the
> toilet. The tapping escalated to very loud banging
> every night and up to 3 times while I tried to sleep as hard
> as they could exactly above where I sleep. It sounded
> as if someone was dropping a bowling ball and was loud
> enough to give anybody heart attack in the middle of the
> night. During the day I could hear someone crawling or
> walking around in the attic and at one time even heard
> someone sneeze. Is it possible someone other than
> management has access to the attic where I lived on
> -----------St? My next door neighbor VJ said he
> never heard a thing. VJ in apartment #--- was very much
> aware all along what was happening. He came to my door on the day the
> movers dropped off some boxes for me to use for packing up
> my belongings. His goal was to try to find out what
> day I was moving, which I refused to tell him, or anybody else.
> When he did notice on June 15 I was moving he said “So
> you’re moving today.” I said yes and told him I
> could no longer listen to the banging. He looked at me
> and shook his head up and down in agreement with
> me and said "I can't blame you."
>
> VJ claimed he never heard any banging, but he would
> have had to and I knew he was home almost every night
> because it was very late at night and his car was parked out
> front.
>
> All of my telephone conversations could be heard so I had
> to start taking my phone outside to talk. What was
> happening to me was not a squirrel in the attic.
> Squirrels don’t tap on the ceiling where you’re typing
> on your computer keyboard, or in another room having a phone
> conversation, or using the bathroom, nor do they bang with
> something that sounds like a bowling bowl being dropped
> right over your head when you’re sleeping, and they
> don’t sneeze. Whoever was in that attic always knew
> exactly where I was. The only place I did not hear any
> tapping was in the kitchen. Maybe the attic does not
> have access to the kitchen.
>
> Whether I was right or wrong about reporting any
> incident(s) that took place while I resided at the -----
> Apartments I don’t feel what is taking place in my life is
> justifiable behavior. In fact it's criminal.
>
> My life has become a living nightmare, and I’m scared of what
> might happen next.
>
> My lease did mention that either party has the right to
> terminate the lease with 30 days written notice (as of May
> 31, I was on a month to month
> basis.) That’s when I found another place
> to live and gave my 30 day notice. Even
> after I gave my 30 day notice the tapping continued during
> the day, and the loud banging at night on the ceiling did
> not stop. I tried some ear plugs I found that helped,
> but no where near enough. I spent a couple of nights
> in a hotel to escape the loud noises so I could catch up on
> some desperately needed sleep. While I was reading my
> lease I realized I had compromised it by telling my neighbor
> I would call the police, and would want my pet
> deposit back. No threats of any kind are allowed.
>
> I asked the people moving me out on June 15 not to mention
> my new address while inside of my apartment. I had to
> explain my unusual situation to them. Just as I was
> taking pictures of the empty apartment the owner of the
> moving company walked into the spare bedroom and said my new
> address. As I stated above, they could hear
> everything, and I also able to hear them in the attic.
> I already knew someone was in the attic on my moving day because I heard the
> tapping, and so did one of the movers. When the mover
> said my new address in the spare bedroom I knew at that
> moment he had given it to the person in the
> attic.
>
> The day after I moved was Tuesday, June 16. Joe, the
> maintenance department manager very slowly drove by my new
> place (approximately 9 miles away from the ----- Apts where he works) in
> his custom red truck with silver pipes (pipes are not
> smooth, they have a design on them.) The pipes run
> lengthwise along the back of the bed on his truck.
> I’ve never seen another truck with the same detail as
> Joe's. I would recognize his custome red truck anywhere,
> and I'm familiar with his license plate number when I see
> it.
>
> Please understand that I've only lived in Raleigh for one
> year. I don't know a lot of people since I haven’t
> been able to secure employment, and I haven’t dated in years. I didn't have any enemies until
> all of this happened.
>
> Now I am being harassed and stalked at my new address
> which started almost a week after I moved in. It's the exact method of operation that was used when I resided at
> --------St. except I now live in a mobile home and
> they can't get into the attic. They started banging on
> my back door and tapping on my windows at night a week after
> I moved in. There is also an area where it would be
> possible for someone to get on to the roof and this is
> where the noise is now coming from. I just
> moved here on June 15 and I have NOT done anything to make
> any enemies. In fact, so far I have only met my
> neighbors next door.
>
> I have called the Raleigh police on two occasions. I
> documented everything and once they read what I had
> documented they believed me, but I have to catch them in the
> act. The last time I called the police I dialed 911
> because I was being followed by a white male (Leo D.
> age 54 of knightdale) in a white pick up truck. I took him on a cat
> and mouse chase to make sure he was following me. It
> wasn't easy, but I managed to get his license plate number
> when I pulled into a shopping center on New Burn Ave.
> He took off when he saw the police, but they did give me his
> name and address. Now I'm paying for calling the
> police. The banging has gotten worse since I called
> the police regarding Leo. Right after this
> happened someone was on the roof which is not difficult
> because there is one area where someone could climb
> up onto it. They banged at 3 different times during
> the night. Their determination is hard to
> believe. You would think I threatened
> somebody’s life. I’d like to catch
> them in the act, but I have to admit I’m a bit nervous
> about opening the door while this is happening. And
> believe it or not sometimes they are doing this as early as
> 6AM since the episode I had with Leo. It’s my
> guess someone wants to scare me into moving again.
> It’s become a game for them, but I’m afraid it could
> turn into something more serious. Of course I'm aware
> that Joe (although I did see him on June 16 drive by my new
> place), Lynn or JG are not driving to where I live
> everyday and day and night and doing this, however, this all started
> when I resided at the -----Apartments right after I
> compromised my lease, which I’m so sorry I did. I
> spoke before thinking due to being stressed over what
> happened, and I apologize.
>
> By sending you this email I'm taking a huge risk that my
> circumstances at my new place will escalate. Some
> nights I fear for my life because I don't know why this is
> still happening to me, and what else might happen. My
> fear is that I will have damage done to my car (I can’t
> afford to have it fixed or buy a new one at this time,) or
> someone might try to break in. I would have thought
> once I moved from -------Street the banging and
> tapping would have stopped. I’m now
> spending some nights in a hotel again so I can get some sleep at least a couple of nights a week.
>
> As I mentioned above, this is a very unusual problem, but
> because this all started when I lived at the ----- Apartments, and has continued at my new address, it is
> difficult for me to dismiss this as a different incident at
> my new location. Whoever was giving me this grief at
> the ------Apartments is now doing it to me at my current
> address. Not even one full week went by and it started
> all over again. It would be way too much of a
> coincidence to believe this is not related. I’m afraid of the type of people who
> are doing this, and what might happen next.
>
> I appreciate your time reading my email. I’m aware
> you are a very busy person, and I would not have sent this
> to you if I did not believe my reason was with good
> cause. What I’m experiencing is something I felt you
> should be aware of. I would love to find a resolution,
> but I’m not sure how you or anybody can do this.
>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting